Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does claiming on your home insurance raise your premium?

Does claiming on your home insurance raise your premium?

Old Oct 7th 2006, 12:35 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Does claiming on your home insurance raise your premium?

My wife just lost an expensive diamond earring which we had insured (on something our agent called a 'floater', no bathroom jokes please). I asked my agent if claiming would likely increase our premium, and if so how much. He unhelpfully replied to my email "If you make a claim your rate should not go up, but I can't say for sure."

So has anyone claimed for lost jewelry, and if so did your premium go up on renewal. We don't want to claim only to find the premium goes sky high next year.
I'm not sure if its relevant, but our insurer is 'Farmers'.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does claiming on your home insurance raise your premium?

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
My wife just lost an expensive diamond earring which we had insured (on something our agent called a 'floater', no bathroom jokes please). I asked my agent if claiming would likely increase our premium, and if so how much. He unhelpfully replied to my email "If you make a claim your rate should not go up, but I can't say for sure."

So has anyone claimed for lost jewelry, and if so did your premium go up on renewal. We don't want to claim only to find the premium goes sky high next year.
I'm not sure if its relevant, but our insurer is 'Farmers'.
a floater is basically an All Risk section.

Your agent is being lazy.

Generally speaking one claim like this should not affect your renewal, but if you start having a few then that mahy well be the straw.

But to be specific you need to know a lopt more info. Which of course your agent has.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:05 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing to get clarification too is whether or not the claim sticks on YOU or does it stick to the property only (or even both); it may come back and bite you if you were to move and start a new policy etc. Are they calculating the likelihood that you will make a claim in general or is it the likelihood the property will have a claim.. see the difference?
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sticks to you.

In any event this is irrelevant to this incident, not a property claim, floater claim.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:12 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for explaining what a 'floater' is.

I'll sumbit a claim. She lost the earring whilst away in Raleigh, NC. We are to move in May next year, so if a claim stays with the property thats fine. If it sticks with me then I suppose I'll just have to deal with it. We only just took insurance out in December 2005, and I bought the earrings for her birthday at the end of this August, so the policy is new and that addition is very new.

Thank you both for all the info