Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use web cams to see friends/family back home?

Does anyone use web cams to see friends/family back home?

Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:11 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Does anyone use web cams to see friends/family back home?

Hi guys

The last time I used web cams, I didnt even have broadband, so didnt particularly like the refresh rate.

Now however, both my family and I have broadband.

I was wondering, what kind of framerate can one get now, and will a top of the range web cam get me pretty much live footage of my family?

Im looking at investing if this is so, and also getting my family to invest in a better one if that helps.

Ive read that the Philips ToUcam has a good rating? Any other suggestions appreciated.

toodles
Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:44 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone use web cams to see friends/family back home?

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
Hi guys

The last time I used web cams, I didnt even have broadband, so didnt particularly like the refresh rate.

Now however, both my family and I have broadband.

I was wondering, what kind of framerate can one get now, and will a top of the range web cam get me pretty much live footage of my family?

Im looking at investing if this is so, and also getting my family to invest in a better one if that helps.

Ive read that the Philips ToUcam has a good rating? Any other suggestions appreciated.

toodles
I use a bog-standard logitech webcam but it may be the speed of your upload to your ISP rather than the quality of the camera you use (within reason) that determines the better visuals. I'm happy with the framerate - couldn't tell you what it is though

Sam.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure it's mostly down to the upload speed of the ISP.
But you might want to see if you can find it here:
http://www.epinions.com/elec?tab=1

If you haven't already.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:02 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a webcam for a couple of hours each weekend to chat with various members of my family around the world. For us it's proved to be an amazing improvement over telephone conversations, and we will often just leave the camera on as people wander in and out and chat. It's quite wonderful, and makes us feel much closer to other family members.

We get excellent frame rates (>30fps) at full screen with little or no lag... but that's because we all use Apple Macs with firewire Apple iSight cameras linked to each other by Apple's iChat software. The combination is unbeatable (read some of the PC mag reviews!) but no available for PCs.

So this probably isn't much help... but perhaps you'll consider a Mac as your next computer
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:07 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm pretty sure it's mostly down to the upload speed of the ISP.
But you might want to see if you can find it here:
http://www.epinions.com/elec?tab=1

If you haven't already.
Actually, once you have any flavour of broadband (>250kbps) it's mostly down to the camera, processor speed and most of all the software. Using the same firewire iSight camera on my Mac with one of the cross-platform software packages like iVisit or MSN Messenger I only get around 3fps, compared to >30fps with Apple's iChat software. It's all down to the compression quality and speed.

I've used video chat on many PCs with a few different professional camera types and effectively "unlimited" bandwidth (i.e. a commercial T3 line or better) and have never seen better than jerky, pixelated images with long audio delays until I started using Apple's software/hardware solution.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:14 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have a decent cam, but when I chat with my brother in Cairo, the refresh rate is something like every second or more. I'm not sure, but I suspect that performance may also be related to the service the recipient has (I have blazing broadband, but he hs piddly narrowband).

I've also seen posts that Yahoo messenger seesms to give better cam performance than MSN messemger.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:11 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Thanks for the input so far guys......

I figured MSN would of been the software we used both sides of the pond, and I was looking at getting a Logitech webcam and the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 (as Ive read, Logitech and MSN messenger worked together with compatibility issues) has had good reviews.

So for someone without a mac, whats the best software out there for videoconferencing with family?

Im really wanting to get an almost live feed...as Im sure many of you can understand.....

thanks
Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Do a google for video conference and you'll find a ton of software...
And also www.tucows.com
Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:52 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 (as Ive read, Logitech and MSN messenger worked together with compatibility issues) has had good reviews.thanks
I use the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 and MSN messenger with no probs at all..
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:29 am
Inquisitor General

adriansmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

I don't have a web cam but I do use my Video Camera hooked up to the excellent [& free!!] EyeBall Chat, via FireWire. The picture size, quality & refresh rate is absolutely amazing compared to web cams I have seen.

EyeBall Chat is availabe here:
http://www.eyeballchat.com/
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:16 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MightBe
I use the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 and MSN messenger with no probs at all..
i also use these with no problems
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:46 pm
Wabbit Lord

So for those of u using Logitech 4000 and msn (assuming both ends of the video conferencing are broadband) how good is the feed? Does it look "live", or is it a slow feed, with juddery movements every 2 secs?

ta
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:48 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

So for those of u using Logitech 4000 and msn (assuming both ends of the video conferencing are broadband) how good is the feed? Does it look "live", or is it a slow feed, with juddery movements every 2 secs?
ta
If both end are on broad band its as smooth as my ass. most of the time
Old Nov 19th 2004, 6:04 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MightBe
If both end are on broad band its as smooth as my ass. most of the time
that doesn't answer the question, we don't no how smooth your ass is
Old Nov 19th 2004, 6:18 pm
Bishop John MightBe

Originally Posted by candy wy.
that doesn't answer the question, we don't no how smooth your ass is
if you go to http://www.youoncam.com/home.htm figure out my user name, you can see .

Or for the OP an alternative download http://www.cameraware.com/ small program and you can broadcast to the world, just leave your camera running in your living room and the relatives can see what you are up to any time they want... this has about a 10 sec refresh..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.