Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anyone rent their house out in the UK?

Does anyone rent their house out in the UK?

Old May 3rd 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone rent their house out in the UK?

If so, and if it has a garden, do you provide either a gardener or equipment for the tenants to do the maintenance - for example, lawn-mover, garden tools etc?
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone rent their house out in the UK?

Yes, we rent out our house in Dorset. It does have a largish garden and we left garden tools for the tenants to keep the garden neat and tidy.
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:46 pm
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mandana
If so, and if it has a garden, do you provide either a gardener or equipment for the tenants to do the maintenance - for example, lawn-mover, garden tools etc?
I have rented property (and currently do so) and as a landlord and property manager for many years, I can offer this information to you.

Keeping the garden clean and tidy IS a tenant's responsibility and part of a tenancy agreement. It is standard clause in most prepared agreements.

But two points.

1. If you do not provide proper functioning tools with which the work can be done, you cannot expect them to maintain the garden. In my experience, it is not reasonable to expect tenants to buy tools and take them around with them from place to place.

2. You cannot expect tenants to tend to the garden to the same standard as a professional gardener or landscaper. Mowing the lawn & trimming the edges of the lawn, pruning bushes and low lying branches of trees, clearing leaves and debris, keeping the whole area clean and tidy and of course, watering the garden when required, is the most you can expect to get out of most tenants, unless a tenant happens to be a gardener and enjoys doing the work.

If you really want the garden maintained to a high standard, I would advise getting a gardener to tend to your garden as required and not leave it to the tenants. If you have not already got tenants or agreed a rent, I would factor in the cost of the gardening work beforehand and add the costs to the rent, market conditions permitting.
Old May 3rd 2009, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sonic5

If you really want the garden maintained to a high standard, I would advise getting a gardener to tend to your garden as required and not leave it to the tenants. If you have not already got tenants or agreed a rent, I would factor in the cost of the gardening work beforehand and add the costs to the rent, market conditions permitting.
That's what I do.. no matter the great intentions of the tenants (oooh, I want a gaaarden), they don't tend to keep the place up to standards.
When I rented my own house out, I provided the lawn dude & took them at their word for the garden beds.. ruined.
At my rentals, I take care of it. The tenants won't even sweep their own walks, but we've spoiled them too much.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get a gardener, you can claim the expenses at tax time in the US.

Me, I rent here in Mass, it's in the agreement that the landlord will clear the snow in winter and take care of the garden, and that's pretty standard from places I've lived before.

Does mean that the garden is in just as much of a shite state as if I were taking care of it though It was good a couple years ago when the landlord had a bloke working for him who was dating someone who's brother owned a landscape business and got a discount, was lovely then...but they broke up and it's been rubbish since and probably only going to get worse because the landlord only just got out of intensive care after a car pulling out of a drive way crushed over him as he was going past on his motorbike.
Old May 4th 2009, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

We rented our house out for this last 2 years here in IL, we used a property manager, I am moving back into the house next week and the garden is a mess!! The property manager said it 'should' have been taken care of by the tenant, but I am suspecting that the agency didn't do any inspections during the lease. I'm pretty sure they will deduct the 'clean-up' from his security deposit, but we won't see any of that money...just the hassle of fixing it all!
Old May 4th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your responses. We're going to get the garden maintained. That way we know it's done and it will save us having to buy equipment, which will then need electrical tests between tenancies etc.

More expensive to do it this way, but less hassle in the long run, and it's done properly.

Thanks
Old May 4th 2009, 1:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
We rented our house out for this last 2 years here in IL, we used a property manager, I am moving back into the house next week and the garden is a mess!! The property manager said it 'should' have been taken care of by the tenant, but I am suspecting that the agency didn't do any inspections during the lease. I'm pretty sure they will deduct the 'clean-up' from his security deposit, but we won't see any of that money...just the hassle of fixing it all!

My experience with property agencies is that they don't earn the considerable fees they charge, and as a result they can cause more work than if you were taking care of things yourself (because you assume things will get taken care of, and when they don't you end up clearing up an even bigger mess).

I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, but if I were to do it again, I'd ask for references from satisfied customers.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
My experience with property agencies is that they don't earn the considerable fees they charge, and as a result they can cause more work than if you were taking care of things yourself (because you assume things will get taken care of, and when they don't you end up clearing up an even bigger mess).

I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, but if I were to do it again, I'd ask for references from satisfied customers.

Yeah, we have decided that next time (sure there will be a next time with hubby's job!) We will do a lot more research, before we chose an agent. I was over at the house yesterday, the tenant has moved out (just around the corner) but my front garden is so overgrown, roses not pruned for 2 years, bushes/trees all over the place! I am dreading going inside, we have an inspection with tenant/agent on Monday next week

Luckily, I should have a few days after we move back in, before hubby gets there, so I can maybe minimize some of the mess!