Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anyone regret moving to USA

Does anyone regret moving to USA

Old Sep 28th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone regret moving to USA

We came over with husband's job and was able to negotiate UK holiday time which we now realise we were so lucky in getting. We were only suppsed to be here for 2 years but have stayed 9 and don't intend on going back to the UK. My kids were small when we moved over and have settled here really well and we all call the US "home".
It was hard for me at first as i couldn't work but made myself go out and about every day to discover something new.
The culture shock was pretty big, probably because I thought that there wouldn't be one..but when we got here...wow!
We visit the Uk every 18 months or so and don't miss it. Of course we miss family, but they come over here to visit (sometimes too often for too long )
When we first came and decided to stay longer than the original 2 years we always said to ourselves that we could always go back to the UK if we really wanted to.
Treat it as an adventure...good luck
Old Sep 28th 2009, 12:59 am
Just Joined

uk2ny is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you lisa67.

It was nice reading your story. Is all your family UK citizen? Or did you get married to a USC.

The only thing i am scared of is what happen i don't like..would my husband move to UK.

My family would be here most of the time..since i have huge family..

Are you a USC now?

I am making most of UK now...funny how you don't notice some things until you leave? I would still miss UK..it would always be my home..
I heard if you become a USC and talking sense i return to UK, would i have to pay US taxes?

So how is life in Texas? If i am right in thinking? What made you choose Texas?

God how i love this forum...
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk2ny
The only thing i am scared of is what happen i don't like..would my husband move to UK.

I heard if you become a USC and talking sense i return to UK, would i have to pay US taxes?
Something to discuss before you head over, have a game plan and try sticking to it such as 2 years before moving back if you don't like it and moving together. It's terribly hard on couples when one loves it whilst the other doesn't.

As a USC, you have to declare worldwide income, but it's not double taxed unless your on a massive salary....but it'd be a bugger if you won the lottery in the UK

But the above is also true if you've held a greencard for x number of years, can't remember exactly, think it's 3 years?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you lisa67.

It was nice reading your story. Is all your family UK citizen? Or did you get married to a USC.

My family would be here most of the time..since i have huge family..

Are you a USC now?

I am making most of UK now...funny how you don't notice some things until you leave? I would still miss UK..it would always be my home..

So how is life in Texas? If i am right in thinking? What made you choose Texas?

God how i love this forum...
We are all UKCs. My husband is an LPR (greencard) and me and the kids are going through the process of getting ours.

We love living in Texas...we've only been here for 2 years and before that we lived in Michigan for 7 years. Both very different places and we loved Michigan, but i was getting sick of the winters

So we didn't chose where we were going to live, because we came over here with my husband's work our choice was made for us.

I definitely agree with Bob, it took me a good 18 months to feel that I was beginning to belong over here and it was tough to get through some of those "down" days at times, but you have to stick with it for a while
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Many of us realise if we had major long term health problems we would have to return to the UK...whether we prefer to live in the US or not.
Yeh the healthcare access mess in the US is the nearest I come to a regret about moving here. When you're younger, it's harder to grasp that so many people over here are one serious illness away from bankruptcy due to inability to pay medical bills. As the years go by and you see some of your friends and coworkers fall into the healthcare financial abyss, or you see people hanging on in jobs they hate merely to get health insurance, you realize just how tenuous things are for many in the US in this regard. Without decent health insurance, I would not remain in this country, it's as simple as that.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 28th 2009 at 2:28 am.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yeh the healthcare access mess in the US is the nearest I come to a regret about moving here. When you're younger, it's harder to grasp that so many people over here are one serious illness away from bankruptcy due to inability to pay medical bills. As the years go by and you see some of your friends and coworkers fall into the healthcare financial abyss, or you see people hanging on in jobs they hate merely to get health insurance, you realize just how tenuous things are for many in the US in this regard. Without decent health insurance, I would not remain in this country, it's as simple as that.
Agreed...it's probably the only thing (or lack of it) that would mean we would have to go back to the uk.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

No regrets at all.

Nice houses are dirt cheap and traffic congestion is having to wait for 2 cycles of a stop light (think that has happened about once - praps twice - in the last couple of years).

I'm in the mid-west though.

If I'd moved to a big city (like New York) then who knows? I may have hated it.

The thing I miss most is passenger trains. Tons of freight trains go through the town I live - but no passenger ones. At least in the big city you'll have better public transport.

Good luck - just go with the flow and things usually turn out well :-)
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

uk2ny is an unknown quantity at this point

Moving to USA is something one in a lifetime chance, i know i can say that it is a good experience, but what i would have been comfortable with was having my partner British, so we can relate, god did i had to go and fall in love with American, i do keep saying everything would be fine and enjoy the moment.
I am 30 years old and i can my life ahead, but now that it is a reality, you just seem to think 100 things.
What if? What would happen?

I also want to know, if i come a USC, can i sponser my sister for USC?
Thats way i know i have some family with me and won't be that bad at the same time it can open doors for my sister, she is only 21.

I would like to thank everyone on this board and i can clearly say this is going to be my favourite place on the net for a very long time
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to USA is something one in a lifetime chance, i know i can say that it is a good experience, but what i would have been comfortable with was having my partner British, so we can relate, god did i had to go and fall in love with American, i do keep saying everything would be fine and enjoy the moment.
I am 30 years old and i can my life ahead, but now that it is a reality, you just seem to think 100 things.
What if? What would happen?

Thats way i know i have some family with me and won't be that bad at the same time it can open doors for my sister, she is only 21.

I would like to thank everyone on this board and i can clearly say this is going to be my favourite place on the net for a very long time
I've already answered the question about your sister in the identical thread you opened in the MBTTUK forum. It's very confusing when multiple threads on the same subject are opened.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You can sponser her for a GC, yes.

All being well and speedy, she'll be able to move to the US by the time she's 37.

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can sponser her for a GC, yes.

All being well and speedy, she'll be able to move to the US by the time she's 37.

Ian
Or sooner if she marries one of the OP's bloke's friends!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
.. At least in the big city you'll have better public transport.
Not necessarily

Would be nice though
Old Sep 28th 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does anyone regret moving to USA

I have no intention of going back. I had been here a number of times, when I decided to accept a job offer here. Brought my kids with me, and initially, at times wondered if I had made the right decision. Met and married a USC 30 yrs ago. Lived in a few places, and I think I achieved the American dream. My kids have a much better standard of living than I did at their age. My wife has health problems, but, thanks to decent health insurance, we are comfortably secure. Lots of friends, and involved in different activities. You will have doubts at times early on, as all of us have had I believe. But keep your eye on the ball, and stay focused and you will be OK. If you can, read up on Sugarmooma's story. It is well worth reading. Hope everything works out for you.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 11:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
I have no intention of going back. I had been here a number of times, when I decided to accept a job offer here. Brought my kids with me, and initially, at times wondered if I had made the right decision. Met and married a USC 30 yrs ago. Lived in a few places, and I think I achieved the American dream. My kids have a much better standard of living than I did at their age. My wife has health problems, but, thanks to decent health insurance, we are comfortably secure. Lots of friends, and involved in different activities. You will have doubts at times early on, as all of us have had I believe. But keep your eye on the ball, and stay focused and you will be OK. If you can, read up on Sugarmooma's story. It is well worth reading. Hope everything works out for you.
I think we all have a better standard of living than 30 years ago, even those who never left the UK.
I second reading Sugarmoomas story it's amazing.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 11:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
I would imagine most people have a better standard of living now than their parents had 30 years ago.

You say your wife has health problems...what happens if you no longer have health insurance or the insurance company refuse to pay for further treatment/tests? Health issues without insurance is I think the biggest worry for most of us.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 29th 2009 at 12:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.