Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have anything encouraging to say ?!?!

Does anyone have anything encouraging to say ?!?!

Old Sep 13th 2005, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Headhunter Extraordinaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone have anything encouraging to say ?!?!

Hi guys,

(First post).... I have just been browsing through pages and pages of web info relating to H1b's / green cards / temp visa's etc and am starting to feel depressed after only an hour or so!!!

The good news is I have a company in NYC potentially interested in hiring me, the bad news - they are concerned I don't currently have a valid permit to work in US. Is there a quick/easy way around this?

I am very very eager to land on US soil but looks slightly unrealistic upon initial inspection... Your views would be enormously appreciated!

Cheers all,
T
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone have anything encouraging to say ?!?!

Originally Posted by Headhunter Extraordinaire
Hi guys,

(First post).... I have just been browsing through pages and pages of web info relating to H1b's / green cards / temp visa's etc and am starting to feel depressed after only an hour or so!!!

The good news is I have a company in NYC potentially interested in hiring me, the bad news - they are concerned I don't currently have a valid permit to work in US. Is there a quick/easy way around this?

I am very very eager to land on US soil but looks slightly unrealistic upon initial inspection... Your views would be enormously appreciated!

Cheers all,
T

I am by no means an expert but unless you can offer something that a US hire can't it doesn't look rosy - especially if your potential employer is concerned!
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

ok thanks for that - I dont mean to be overly pedantic but does this by definition mean that americans don't recognise individuality ? interesting concept...

to be honest I can see where they are coming from as I am sure there are loads of suitable workers with US nationality but I work in a profession which is difficult to qualify at best and is largely based upon personal qualities, contacts and experience.

I have since heard that my "potential employer" is not able to sponsor a visa for me :-( but if I can "somehow get to NYC" and a visa, they would love to hire me. Nice to know I guess.....

well cheers, and back to the drawing board for me
T
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

, and back to the drawing board for me
T

find an American to marry?
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Please state your nationality, age, gender, did I mention nationality ? lol.....
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Please state your nationality, age, gender, did I mention nationality ? lol.....
I'm American and already taken....sorrrrrrrrry. But, keep looking, you might find something out there...
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:29 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

The easiest way here longterm is marraige, the next employment, however you do need your company to at least help to an extent

There are tons of other methods, but none of them are easy, quick or cheap
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by smeg
The easiest way here longterm is marraige, the next employment, however you do need your company to at least help to an extent

There are tons of other methods, but none of them are easy, quick or cheap

sounds interesting Smeg - there must be one suited to me then? what do you have in mind ?
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:30 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked this article? - It was a collaborative effort between several of us "old hands" here on britishexpats.com. It is a fairly succinct summary of your options, and to further summarize, you don't have a whole lot of room for manoeuvre.

You are pretty much left trying to snag some interest from an employer who will back your visa application, and this an almost impossible task. For example, when I lived in London, I tried to find work in the US, and despite having a USC wife I was unable to get any interest at all from US employers, and this was in the booming pre-9/11 economy.

There are no quick fixes or easy solutions, it is going to take time and considerable patience.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 11:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

might also want to try the visa forums...but the article already posted tells you all you really need...and unless you have a company to transfer you, or married to a USC, your pretty much out of luck unless your field is uni related as the H1B quota is long filled, so won't be able to apply till next April for an Oct start, next year.

Could always come over to study??
Old Sep 13th 2005, 11:31 pm
~ Relocated to Texas ~

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Have you checked this article? -
Great article. Especially like the last option:

"You [can] get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you."
Old Sep 14th 2005, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Great article. Especially like the last option:

"You [can] get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you."
The way the fees are going, that might be the cheapest route.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

At this point, no!! LOL..

Never thought I would ever say this to anyone... but unless you want to invest thousands of dollars for a good attorney and go through blood, sweat and tears with no guarantee of a succesful outcome - I would try another country....

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 8:40 am
Just Joined

OK Change of direction - I guess the only forums and websites I should be on now are american dating agencies and meeting sites!!!! Seems like the only option. Wish I had married my ex now instead of letting her go back to michigan to marry a teacher.... but then again Michigan, am I that desperat? (just kidding)

T

9.40 am and I need a
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Cheers all,
T
From my experience, sorry, but there is no easy way. It gets tighetr and tighter every year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.