British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Documents needed for Passport / Dual-nationality (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/documents-needed-passport-dual-nationality-727776/)

ChicagoRaspberry Aug 7th 2011 7:02 pm

Documents needed for Passport / Dual-nationality

I have read the many threads on here regarding dual nationality. I intend to apply through the naturalisation process to get US citizenship, and understand that tehy will ask me to 'renounce' my UK citizenship, although in substance this has no meaning (unless i have misunderstood).

My questions relate to how, specifically, one goes about getting:

1) a British passport for my American wife
2) a British passport for our soon-to-born kids

Thank you for your help and advice!!!!

sir_eccles Aug 7th 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Documents needed for Passport / Dual-nationality

Originally Posted by ChicagoRaspberry (Post 9543457)
I have read the many threads on here regarding dual nationality. I intend to apply through the naturalisation process to get US citizenship, and understand that tehy will ask me to 'renounce' my UK citizenship, although in substance this has no meaning (unless i have misunderstood).

1) Unless there is something you are not telling us, your wife cannot get a British passport.

2) as well as applying for a passport you may want to consider a consular registration of birth http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

iray Aug 7th 2011 7:22 pm

Just as you've had to be residing in the US for a period of time with your wife, she needs to reside with you in the UK before she would be eligible for naturalisation there. Some exceptions apply, but I doubt that you are a civil servant on a foreign posting or any of the others.

brl2k Aug 7th 2011 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9543477)
1) Unless there is something you are not telling us, your wife cannot get a British passport.

2) as well as applying for a passport you may want to consider a consular registration of birth http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

It is not necessary to register your childs birth. You can apply directly for a british passport for your kids.

sir_eccles Aug 7th 2011 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by brl2k (Post 9543513)
It is not necessary to register your childs birth. You can apply directly for a british passport for your kids.

True, it isn't strictly necessary but it is easier to document it early than run around trying to prove something later.

ian-mstm Aug 7th 2011 11:02 pm

... and understand that tehy will ask me to 'renounce' my UK citizenship

The US Oath of Allegiance does NOT require that you renounce your citizenship... so I'm not sure where you got that tidbit of misinformation.

Ian

md95065 Aug 8th 2011 12:15 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9543477)

... assuming, of course, that the OP is able to pass on his British citizenship to his children - ie that he is a British citizen 'other than by descent' (which is probably the case, but since he did not specifically mention the precise nature of his own citizenship my inner pedant requires me to mention it) ...

Kar98 Aug 8th 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9543736)
The US Oath of Allegiance does NOT require that you renounce your citizenship... so I'm not sure where you got that tidbit of misinformation.

Ian

Interesting opinion. Here's the first sentence of said oath:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen.

sir_eccles Aug 8th 2011 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Kar98 (Post 9543809)

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen.

Seems straight forward to me, doesn't mention renouncing citizenship just allegiance and fidelity. The only official way to renounce British citizenship is by filling in form RN

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...upnationality/

ian-mstm Aug 8th 2011 3:28 am

Interesting opinion.

Not opinion... fact.

Here's the first sentence of said oath:
Thanks... I've taken the Oath and am familiar with it.

So, where does it say you renounce citizenship? Answer = it doesn't.

Ian

celticgrid Aug 8th 2011 7:21 pm

Interestingly, when I took the oath last Thursday they omitted that part. It was on the card, but we were not asked to say that bit.

London Lady Aug 9th 2011 3:57 pm

Hi,

I am a US citizen married to a British citizen living in Britain. I can only comment on my own experiences.

Assuming you are a British citizen with a British passport:

1. Your wife must live in Britain (I think for 7 years - but don't quote me!) before she would be eligible to apply for a British passport. You have to pass a citizenship test for this as well.

2. As for future children, you would save yourself a lot of hassle if you report their birth at the British Embassy. They will then be issued a British birth certificate (this is in addition to their American birth certificates) making application for their British passports straight forward.

We've found over the years (we have teens) that using the US birth certificate for the US side of things and the British birth certificate for the British side of things has made things easier.

Good luck to you and your family.