Reload this Page >

Documents to marry in US?

Documents to marry in US?

Old Nov 23rd 2013, 10:41 am
Account Closed

v15ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Documents to marry in US?

I'm British, my girlfriend is American.
We want to move to the UK long term, I'm currently here, she is in Washington.
We're thinking about marrying in the US when I next visit, then me coming back to the UK and us applying a few months later for her to move here (we're not yet eligible.)

In terms of documents needed for a Brit to marry in the US, I've read the state and county specific requirements but beyond the marriage license application + photo ID, I can't find anything else I need to take.

I'll take my birth certificate anyway, but I've read there is another document you need to go with the birth cert.

Obviously I'd hate to not be able to marry due to a random missing document.

Can anyone clear this up at all?

Thanks.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 11:39 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Documents to marry in US?

Like you said, it is a State/County issue - you should be able to look up this information on the website of your county. To get married in Anderson, SC they needed proof of my SSN along with the my Passport and Birth Certificate.

Because I was a visitor and not entitled to an SSN, I had to attend a Social Security Officer and get a letter stating that.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

v15ben is an unknown quantity at this point

I had wondered about the SSN issue as it is mentioned on various blogs/websites, but there are no concrete answers except contacting the local county office which I'll do.

So long as I have the passport/birth cert though, it seems there isn't any additional ID-related document required.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 1:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by v15ben
I had wondered about the SSN issue as it is mentioned on various blogs/websites, but there are no concrete answers except contacting the local county office which I'll do.

So long as I have the passport/birth cert though, it seems there isn't any additional ID-related document required.
The requirements vary all across the USA. Just look it up online.

Here in Arizona, my foreign fiance needed nothing more than his passport.

Rene
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I took my passport, birth certificate, and driving licence, and the soon-to-be Mrs P took the same documents for herself as we visited the local courthouse near the church where we were going to get married.

Despite writing "n/a" in the box on the application form, we weren't wasn't asked for ANY ID whatsoever! The clerk did ask why I didn't have a SNN, and I told him I was not a USC, but still no ID was requested. ..... The only explanation that I have ever been able to come up with is that it was pre 9/11.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 23rd 2013 at 2:14 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I were married in South Dakota because the county she lived in Iowa required a blood test and a 3 day waiting period at the time and we didn't have time.
South Dakota had no such requirement, in fact when we visited the City Hall to see when they could 'do' us the clerk asked us to wait a min and came back and said the judge was free and she could 'do' us right there and then, all I had to produce was my passport and my wife her drivers licence
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

In Texas I only needed a photo I D the same for my wife, we also had a certificate saying that we had state apporved premarital counciling get a discount, the waiting period was also waved.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What everyone needed to get married in their part of the country is irrelevant.

What you need, you can google the state and the county and it will clearly say.

Usually need a passport or some other form of government ID and if you were previously married, a divorce decree.