Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Doctors who don't over-prescribe?

Doctors who don't over-prescribe?

Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Londongirl08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doctors who don't over-prescribe?

Hi,

My husband and I are new to the Bay Area, but he grew up here, and has a bit more faith in the US health system than I do right now!

Don't get me wrong, I do acknowledge it as a world-leader in lots of ways, but does anyone out there feel that their doctor is always writing a mile-long prescription?

Can anyone recommend a good OBGYN in the Palo Alto/Redwood City area? My dad is one in the NHS, so I'm finding it hard to find one I can trust not to over-medicate me.

Thanks!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctors who don't over-prescribe?

I can't recommend one but I can offer something that people seem to overlook. Just because they write you a prescription doesn't mean you need to accept it.

If they want to prescribe something, ask what it is, what all the approved uses are, all the side effects that can go along with it and most importantly, why they think it would be a good thing for you to take. If you don't like the answers, refuse the prescription. If after all that and the discussion it will spark you feel that it would be beneficial and the good outweighs the bad, you will be comfortable taking it.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I can't recommend one but I can offer something that people seem to overlook. Just because they write you a prescription doesn't mean you need to accept it.

If they want to prescribe something, ask what it is, what all the approved uses are, all the side effects that can go along with it and most importantly, why they think it would be a good thing for you to take. If you don't like the answers, refuse the prescription. If after all that and the discussion it will spark you feel that it would be beneficial and the good outweighs the bad, you will be comfortable taking it.
never thought of that.. impressed. Will keep that in mind next time i am at the docs

although when kelly had her wisdom teeth out on friday i didnt get the prescription made up. Thought i would just sit it out and wait and see. I gave her normal tylonol and she did just great.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:25 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londongirl08
Hi,

My husband and I are new to the Bay Area, but he grew up here, and has a bit more faith in the US health system than I do right now!

Don't get me wrong, I do acknowledge it as a world-leader in lots of ways, but does anyone out there feel that their doctor is always writing a mile-long prescription?

Can anyone recommend a good OBGYN in the Palo Alto/Redwood City area? My dad is one in the NHS, so I'm finding it hard to find one I can trust not to over-medicate me.

Thanks!
I believe you have to take a different mindset, and do things a little differently. You are dealing with 2 different systems.

In the UK health care, medicines, are budgeted. The dr. will only prescribe you what is absolutely necessary.

In the US, meds certainly are only budgeted by what you are willing to pay. The dr. gives you several prescriptions, if you want them, you can try them and see if it works. I personally don't fill half the prescriptions I get. I either have the same med in my medicine cabinet, or I feel I really don't need it.

For instance, Sally Field on TV advertising for Boniva, the bone loss stuff. If the dr gave you a script for that, you could decide to take Boniva, take cheap calcium from the drug store, or not take anything at all. The doctor feels like it's yr choice, but he'll give you the prescription if you want it. Doesn't mean you have to fill it - it's just there if you want it.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts

Yep. There's been a few times I've been prescribed pain pills, and I've never even filled the Rx.

Not sure what the OP is worried about with respect to a gyno. The only thing my gyno has ever given me is birth control pills. But then, I've never been preggers so maybe I've not had to worry about/ask for other meds a gyno would typically hand out.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:28 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea I had my yearly physical a few months back and I had to wait a few days for the results so I just told them to call me when they were in.

Four days later I get a phone call from the surgery telling me my prescription is ready.. so I tell them no sorry you've got me confused with some-one else, I just came in for a physical and I'm waiting for the results...so the receptionist puts me oh hold and comes back telling me that she hadn't got the wrong person and that indeed the prescription was for me..

So I ask why? whats wrong with me and whats the medication for...it seems my cholesterol was 1 point above normal (its supposed to be 150 and I was 151) so they wrote a prescription for some drug to lower it...

The receptionist was very shocked and taken aback when I told her that I didn't want the prescription and that how about I try and lower it myself first with just plain old diet and exercise..

and yep one month later...I'm good..(I ate oatmeal every day)..

Muppets..
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Londongirl08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mallory
I believe you have to take a different mindset, and do things a little differently. You are dealing with 2 different systems.

In the UK health care, medicines, are budgeted. The dr. will only prescribe you what is absolutely necessary.

In the US, meds certainly are only budgeted by what you are willing to pay. The dr. gives you several prescriptions, if you want them, you can try them and see if it works. I personally don't fill half the prescriptions I get. I either have the same med in my medicine cabinet, or I feel I really don't need it.

For instance, Sally Field on TV advertising for Boniva, the bone loss stuff. If the dr gave you a script for that, you could decide to take Boniva, take cheap calcium from the drug store, or not take anything at all. The doctor feels like it's yr choice, but he'll give you the prescription if you want it. Doesn't mean you have to fill it - it's just there if you want it.
Thanks for your post. I am lucky to have the opportunity for advice from NHS doctors in my family, and yes, it is a matter of mindset, I suppose.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:52 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad you're not closer. I do a little doctoring on the side.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Too bad you're not closer. I do a little doctoring on the side.
perving doesn't count lol