British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Doctors? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/doctors-729115/)

sineapse Aug 18th 2011 6:04 pm

Doctors?

Hi there,

First post but been lurking for a few months now :) Was just wondering if there were any doctors or partners of doctors on the forum that have experience working in the US, residency or otherwise.

I'm a final year medical student in London, sitting my Step 1 in a few weeks (:thumbdown:) and would be interested on hearing any experiences that people have had.

As it stands, I'm off to do an elective on the West Coast this autumn so I'll see how I enjoy it and then make plans on whether I want to commit to a residency. I would be keen on staying and doing my house jobs in the UK and getting full registration before making any decisions (plus it will help fund the flights etc for match interviews!)

Thanks!

fatbrit Aug 18th 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Doctors?

Originally Posted by sineapse (Post 9567464)
Hi there,

First post but been lurking for a few months now :) Was just wondering if there were any doctors or partners of doctors on the forum that have experience working in the US, residency or otherwise.

I'm a final year medical student in London, sitting my Step 1 in a few weeks (:thumbdown:) and would be interested on hearing any experiences that people have had.

As it stands, I'm off to do an elective on the West Coast this autumn so I'll see how I enjoy it and then make plans on whether I want to commit to a residency. I would be keen on staying and doing my house jobs in the UK and getting full registration before making any decisions (plus it will help fund the flights etc for match interviews!)

Thanks!

ozzidoc is your woman.

Search is your tool.

Jerseygirl Aug 18th 2011 6:09 pm

Welcome to BE.

Ozzidoc now lives in San Diego but is currently on a 12 month contract in the UK.

sineapse Aug 18th 2011 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9567474)
ozzidoc is your woman.

Search is your tool.

Did have a quick search, but only saw stuff about finding doctors and medical etc! Should have looked harder! Thanks for the heads up.

BILDER Aug 18th 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by sineapse (Post 9567464)
Hi there,

Thanks!

I am a physician, in interventional cardiology at an East Coast academic powerhouse. Good luck on the Step 1! What exactly do you want to know? I am US trained, so my training experience will not be what should expect in your situation, but a large part of my job involves interviewing, selecting and training IMGs in my field. You would need to do very well on Step 1 (240+) very well on Step 2, have some research under your belt and still the odds would be against you. Unfortunately, you would need to know a few important people in your desired field to definitively match at a program that you have your eye on. What are you interested in in terms of specialty? Do you have any research experience? Feel free to PM me. Good luck!

sineapse Aug 18th 2011 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by BILDER (Post 9567586)
I am a physician, in interventional cardiology at an East Coast academic powerhouse. Good luck on the Step 1! What exactly do you want to know? I am US trained, so my training experience will not be what should expect in your situation, but a large part of my job involves interviewing, selecting and training IMGs in my field. You would need to do very well on Step 1 (240+) very well on Step 2, have some research under your belt and still the odds would be against you. Unfortunately, you would need to know a few important people in your desired field to definitively match at a program that you have your eye on. What are you interested in in terms of specialty? Do you have any research experience? Feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll drop you a PM

Ozzidoc Aug 19th 2011 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by BILDER (Post 9567586)

Agree.

Ozzidoc Aug 19th 2011 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9567474)
ozzidoc is your woman.

Search is your tool.

:)