Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Doctor looking for a change

Doctor looking for a change

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:08 am
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold
Default Doctor looking for a change

hey there,

been a medical doctor 10+ years in the UK and looking for a change. I dont necessarily envisage doing residency training in the US again so was just wondering what field(s) would be open to me in the US with a medical degree, without becoming a practising physician.

I got no family ties. Also I dont have a GC. I have saved up £500k though over the years (no family!!). Would that get me a GC through something I read on another thread?

Thanks for your advice
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctor looking for a change

My husband works in research at a university with a number of Chinese people who are qualified as doctors but working in research as they don't want to go through residency in order to practise here. I'm not sure what their visa path was. His own was H1-b, not subject to the cap as it's a non-profit organisation. It will be much lower-level job for you than being a doctor, but maybe a way in that would save you $500,000.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

monfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud of

1. I presume you're a registrar or a consultant, right? Working in research would likely be quite the drop in pay (at best, equivalent to a junior registrar working unbanded) and depending on whether you like sitting in front of a computer all day, potentially less fulfilling. ...it would be up to you whether that is worth moving to the US for. Although you do have 500k....

2. I'm also a doctor that moved from the UK recently after finishing F1. I do intend to eventually pursue residency, but currently hold a job as a research associate at a major university hospital. Basically writing abstracts, writing manuscripts for clinical trials, and writing research grants, sums up my job. It is pretty fulfilling and a good opportunity to get published but your eyes do hurt after staring at the same data for hours.... Quite a few universities have these positions so it may be worth looking for these postings and enquiring up front whether they will be willing to sponsor an H1B (I came here due to an American spouse- the easy way.). In my office, there is one such chap, although he has an MPH from Columbia.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:24 pm
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

hi monfed am a GP hence the username! Thanks for your input yeah I heard about the university route. May I ask did your colleague do his MPH in Colombia, South America or in Colombia University NYC? Sorry I not too familiar with the terminology yet.

As a GP I expect a paycut in the US but I didnt exactly earn millions like the Daily Mail would have you believe!

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notshipman
hey there,

been a medical doctor 10+ years in the UK and looking for a change.

Thanks for your advice
http://www.pbs.org/programs/doc-martin/

No need to thank me
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:23 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

hi monfed am a GP hence the username! Thanks for your input yeah I heard about the university route. May I ask did your colleague do his MPH in Colombia, South America or in Colombia University NYC? Sorry I not too familiar with the terminology yet.

As a GP I expect a paycut in the US but I didnt exactly earn millions like the Daily Mail would have you believe!

I love your username that is the biggest laugh i have in ages . I don't know if would be able to get the green card from being a gp. If you had a specialized field of medicine or you had better skills such a surgeon you might be able to do something eb1 person of extraordinary ability but as a general gp/ maybe general er doc I am not too sure if they would go for that. Others can offer better opinion than i can. Then again an irish guy i know i nyc is a radiographer and he has the green card so maybe it is doable.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

monfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud of

Foreign doctors can definitely get sponsored for an H1B in research- I've seen loads of examples. I would imagine it is harder if you haven't actually done any research, though... Otherwise, you would have to do the licensing exams and get sponsored for an H1B that way.
also, you're single right? time to start looking for a US citizen....

you could spend the 500k on the EB-5 investment visa- I'm not clear on the details, but it allows you to live (and work) in the US for 2 years, after which the investment is reassessed to see if has created enough jobs for Americans, and if it hasn't (can be a bit of a gamble) you basically get chucked out and your 500k goes down the drain.....

I meant Columbia in NYC. I guess you better not tell the Daily Mail about your 500k socked away.....
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:19 pm
Banned

customs is your friend a radiographer or radiologist? slight difference in the word but a world of difference in the training involved.

monfed I have a Masters and some publications not sure if that would count in my favour.

I worked damn hard for my 500k and am glad no woman crossed my path to grab it! Naturally the US citizen could be that person to try to!!!

yes single hence got the 500k and a bit more

Would doing the exams help me get sponsored for an h1 in research? Doesnt seem logical but hey is anything logical in the US?! Why have a GC lottery letting in randoms and excluding talent!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

The publications and Masters will definitely help. Doing the exams can't hurt either... that way you would be able to pursue a residency too as another way of getting to the US. Good luck!

customs is your friend a radiographer or radiologist? slight difference in the word but a world of difference in the training involved.

monfed I have a Masters and some publications not sure if that would count in my favour.

I worked damn hard for my 500k and am glad no woman crossed my path to grab it! Naturally the US citizen could be that person to try to!!!

yes single hence got the 500k and a bit more

Would doing the exams help me get sponsored for an h1 in research? Doesnt seem logical but hey is anything logical in the US?! Why have a GC lottery letting in randoms and excluding talent!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:53 pm
Banned

monfed it would be real tough for me to get a residency given i am >10 yrs for YOG. Most programs wouldnt be interested in an old grinder like me (late 30's)

also i dont think its so easy to find a US citizen willing to marry there seems an assumption that all you have to do is speak in a British accent then you can have your pick of a life partner. Dont think it works like that and am sure American women view British men with the same degree of scepticism as anyone else! Monfed you excluded naturally :P
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

monfed it would be real tough for me to get a residency given i am >10 yrs for YOG. Most programs wouldnt be interested in an old grinder like me (late 30's)

also i dont think its so easy to find a US citizen willing to marry there seems an assumption that all you have to do is speak in a British accent then you can have your pick of a life partner. Dont think it works like that and am sure American women view British men with the same degree of scepticism as anyone else! Monfed you excluded naturally :P
Is there any particular reason you're so attracted to the US?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

I would say the British accent gets you interest... and then you have to keep that interest. The accent wil only get you so far.... That's what I've noticed, professionally anyway. I don't think it had any effect on my wife.....
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:24 pm
Banned

just like most people sally prefer the lifestyle there spent a lot of time there over the years prefer the open space that you have there got decent number non medical friends there too etc etc
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

just like most people sally prefer the lifestyle there spent a lot of time there over the years prefer the open space that you have there got decent number non medical friends there too etc etc
It just sounds like you are going to have a drop in living standards, the US has its problems like everywhere else.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:47 pm
Banned

not really the life of a GP in the UK not particularly great at the minute people taking early retirement at age 55 higher than ever sadly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.