British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   docs required for daughter traveling to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/docs-required-daughter-traveling-uk-910944/)

almooney Mar 26th 2018 7:59 pm

docs required for daughter traveling to UK

Hi There

We are a married British couple living in CA with a 19 month old daughter who was born here, and thus is a citizen. We both have green cards and UK passports, and our daughter has a UK passport and US birth certificate.

We are traveling to the UK in a few weeks so my question is, what documents can our daughter travel on? Is a UK passport and US birth certificate sufficient for when we arrive back on US soil or is she going to require a US passport?

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give us!

Al

BenK91 Mar 26th 2018 8:19 pm

Re: docs required for daughter traveling to UK

I was always under the impression US citizens must leave the US and re-enter the US with a valid US passport.

I'm sure someone else with more experience will clarify though :)

Noorah101 Mar 26th 2018 8:20 pm

She needs a US passport.

Rene

tom169 Mar 26th 2018 8:38 pm

Time to get an expedited US passport.

almooney Mar 26th 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks for all your help everybody!

BritInParis Mar 26th 2018 9:53 pm

She'll need a British passport. Carry both and use her British passport at the UK border, US passport at the US border.

Jerseygirl Mar 27th 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12470640)
She'll need a British passport. Carry both and use her British passport at the UK border, US passport at the US border.

Being as this is only a visit...she can enter the UK using either a UK or US passport. She can use whatever immigration line her parents use...this applies to the UK and US Immigration.

OP it is a legal requirement for US citizens that they use their US passport to leave and enter the US. Most of us dualies do this...leave the US using their US PP...enter the UK using either PP. When leaving the UK use the US PP...if not proof of a GC/Visa/ESTA is required and obviously a USC is entitled to none of these. Enter the US using a US PP.

BritInParis Mar 27th 2018 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12470918)
Being as this is only a visit...she can enter the UK using either a UK or US passport. She can use whatever immigration line her parents use...this applies to the UK and US Immigration.

She can but given she has a British passport and that's all her parents have there's no reason not to carry both and enter the UK using the EU passport line and save yourself an extra 20-30 minutes wait.*

*At LHR at any rate.

Jerseygirl Mar 27th 2018 11:45 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12470978)
She can but given she has a British passport and that's all her parents have there's no reason not to carry both and enter the UK using the EU passport line and save yourself an extra 20-30 minutes wait.*

*At LHR at any rate.

She can go through the EU Immigration with her parents using her US PP.

I realise she will probably use her UK PP...but the info may be useful to others reading this thread. ;)