Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Old Jul 12th 2015, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Some thing that has to change and what will be the hardest is insurance companies. I read a while ago that the CEO of United Healthcare was paid over 100 million in 2012 not counting his stock options. I think to date he has cured exactly zero patients.
I just saw a very good documentary last nite on "Remote Area Medical" a charity started by a British guy. It showed their recent event held in Bristol Tennessee. The problem is this type of need is common across the country maybe to a lessor degree. I did a few medical missions as part of military excercises and the third world countries I was in were not much worse than what you see in this program. It is on Netflix and worth a look. I am going to look further into this group and maybe volunteer myself. Dental is always a major part of the need and maybe I could get some supervised flying time in their DC3.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 11:07 pm
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

The insurance companies are way too powerful for things to change rapidly!

I must say it is a refreshing change to hear patients ask politely how much something will cost and accept they have to pay as opposed to the demanding attitude that exists now in the UK because they simply have no idea how much healthcare costs!
Old Jul 12th 2015, 11:51 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doconthemove
The insurance companies are way too powerful for things to change rapidly!

I must say it is a refreshing change to hear patients ask politely how much something will cost and accept they have to pay as opposed to the demanding attitude that exists now in the UK because they simply have no idea how much healthcare costs!
As someone currently in nursing school, we are constantly being reminded that as nurses we need to keep in mind the cost of everything.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

A doctor who knows how much things are going to cost?? Even the insurance companies have to wait a little while for the chicken gizzards to cool down a bit...

And don't worry - you'll get to see patients accepting that they can't pay as well
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:52 am
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

ok egg on face time! yesterday went to sit the dmv knowledge test and flunked it

i didnt have time to read the manual i just did a few practise questions online and thought i could try 'wing' it.

i found it hard ++. asking stuff what is x oz of whiskey equal to in beer? minute details on dui's etc

anyone got any advice how to prepare for it? am defo. gonna read the manual in the few days i have to wait before the resit!!

having got through med school no problem feel a right 'plonker' for messing this one up!!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

sadiigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

ok egg on face time! yesterday went to sit the dmv knowledge test and flunked it

i didnt have time to read the manual i just did a few practise questions online and thought i could try 'wing' it.

i found it hard ++. asking stuff what is x oz of whiskey equal to in beer? minute details on dui's etc

anyone got any advice how to prepare for it? am defo. gonna read the manual in the few days i have to wait before the resit!!

having got through med school no problem feel a right 'plonker' for messing this one up!!

Sorry to hear about that. Could you tell which test center it was and how long it took you to get over all the hurdles, waiting etc to actually sit the test please? I am moving over to NJ next month and have to go over this routine too

I have been using this website for learning NJ theory test - > FREE New Jersey MVC Marathon Practice Test [150 Questions] 2015 | NJ

Thank you
Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Read the thing and remember all the crap that applies for the 16-21 age bracket, especially the penalty points and speeding/DUI.

90% of the test that will get you to pass will be on that and not actual driving.

It's pretty much the same thing every where.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 4:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sadiigo
Sorry to hear about that. Could you tell which test center it was and how long it took you to get over all the hurdles, waiting etc to actually sit the test please? I am moving over to NJ next month and have to go over this routine too

I have been using this website for learning NJ theory test - > FREE New Jersey MVC Marathon Practice Test [150 Questions] 2015 | NJ

Thank you

i went to edison the place is not the most organised. there is no waiting to sit the test but you have to queue up to show all your documents first, then you get the permit to take the test. queuing is the main thing i would suggest you allot a whole morning or afternoon for it!!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 4:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Edison. The place is not the most organised. ....
That about describes DMV offices from Miami to Anchorage!
.... I would suggest you allot a whole morning or afternoon for it!!
That does too, mostly.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 15th 2015 at 4:52 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

sadiigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

i went to edison the place is not the most organised. there is no waiting to sit the test but you have to queue up to show all your documents first, then you get the permit to take the test. queuing is the main thing i would suggest you allot a whole morning or afternoon for it!!

I see, I will be going to Lodi, which doesn't have the best reputation from what I read. Well, I guess you just have to do it.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I see, I will be going to Lodi, which doesn't have the best reputation from what I read. Well, I guess you just have to do it.
You don't have to use the nearest office. It is usually easier and quicker at offices in small towns and rural locations. I lived in Westchester Co, immediately north of NYC when I got my first US license, but I did my road test in Herkimer, NY, which is waaaay upstate in the middle of nowhere.

When I moved to NC I did my license swap and vehicle reregistration in small town. Bizarrely the licensing office and vehicle registration are not only in different buildings but also several miles apart. Although I arrived at the licensing office after 4pm I was still able to complete the test and paperwork to get an NC license, then drive across town to the vehicle registration office and register our vehicles before they closed at 5pm. ..... Note: because of the tax implications, I think that vehicle registrations may have to be done locally.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

There are always questions on alcohol levels and rules for teens, so you need to know these even if you're not one. And mug up on school bus passing rules too, not only because there will be at least one question, but because you need to know them for safety reasons.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by kodokan
..... And mug up on school bus passing rules too, not only because there will be at least one question, but because you need to know them for safety reasons.
Generally speaking "don't", but the trick(y) questions are around things like divided highways (dual carriageways) and five lane roads with a center turn lane. Round here most people know that (under NC rules) you can pass on the other side of the median (central reservation) but seem unaware that you can pass going the other way on a five lane road too.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:14 pm
Cambridge / Philly.

NoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond repute

My US license will be taken NJ next year so thanks very much for this refernce link!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do not hand your UK DL over to the DMV. They tried to take mine but I told them it was the property of the UK government and they had no right to take it...'Uh OK then' was the reply.

Take a pic or photo copy of your UK DL and keep both in a safe place...just in case you wish to return to the US. Also something that it being discussed in a current thread...keep your UK bank account and credit card. After almost 20 years I still have mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.