Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do Your Kids Play Out-of-doors?

Do Your Kids Play Out-of-doors?

Old May 15th 2005, 7:57 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do Your Kids Play Out-of-doors?

Hardly any of the kids round here do, despite the fact that we did so as children in hot Texas.... it isn't even HOT and still no one plays out-of-doors. This drives me NUTS because it means I have to be the kids' constant playmate, and I can't get all the work done I need to do if I'm trying to play with them, not to mention the fact they can't play well together (aged 12 and 5).

When I was a child, on the weekend, we got up early on Saturday morning and watched cartoons. It didn't even occur to us to wake our parents or attempt to play with them. Then we went outside and played until we stopped to eat, back to play, until supper or dark, and went to bed. Kids of all ages played together and we didn't even have anything electronic! We didn't go in each other's houses for the most part because there wasn't anything more interesting to do inside -- no VCRs or video games, etc. And even when those things started to come out, when I was a teenager, we still preferred interacting with each other rather than sitting in front of machines....

(insert primal scream here)

Do kids play outside in Britain? Do they play outside in your part of the US? or anywhere else in the world?
Old May 15th 2005, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Your Kids Play Out-of-doors?

Did I play outside when I was younger? Yes.

Do the kids play outside where I live in the US? No.

Most helpful reply ever.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:03 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Did I play outside when I was younger? Yes.

Do the kids play outside where I live in the US? No.

Most helpful reply ever.
No, it at least makes me feel like I'm not the only one....

What the **** does one do with them?!?!
Old May 15th 2005, 8:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As a kid, use to play footie with mates after school till 6 and head home knackered, or in the summer till later...in holidays we'd climb over the fence and play if we couldn't be arsed to go to the park....the school was middle ground for all of us, and there be good 20 odd kids having a knock around.

Even before middle/high school, always played in the garden or go cycling around the streets and go to friends places...

Don't see anyone playing outside here, but then there's no parks, people live to far apart, no flat grass...
Old May 15th 2005, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No, it at least makes me feel like I'm not the only one....

Who knows?

What I found surprising was even with a foot of crisp white snow on the ground at Christmas I never saw one child playing in it, not even with a parent.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

When I was a child, on the weekend, we got up early on Saturday morning and watched cartoons. It didn't even occur to us to wake our parents or attempt to play with them. Then we went outside and played until we stopped to eat, back to play, until supper or dark, and went to bed. Kids of all ages played together and we didn't even have anything electronic! We didn't go in each other's houses for the most part because there wasn't anything more interesting to do inside -- no VCRs or video games, etc. And even when those things started to come out, when I was a teenager, we still preferred interacting with each other rather than sitting in front of machines....

Growing up in Manitoba and Ontario, we played outside all the time, even during the winter months with all the winter sports! In Winnipeg we would play outside in -30 degree weather!

With the mild weather we get in Victoria, my kids are outside most of the day, unless it happens the weather is really bad (rain/wind). My kids have probably not watched more than an hour of TV in their lifetime and as long as we are able to control this we will. We would much prefer to have the kids outside either in the backyard or at the beach!
Old May 15th 2005, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

It is kinda sad, I'm sure some of it is to do with the perceived or true unsfaeness of modern times, but on the other hand we are now with the playstation generation, many of whom do not want to play outside.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Summer is way too humid before 6 pm or so, to play outside. Rest of the time, they're outside with their mates, normally in my backyard, getting up to mischief.

We have a rule in the house. No tv/video and computer games, during the schoolweek. Friday/Sat/Sunday only. Works wonders, though it was probably one of the toughest things to keep track of, but after the first two weeks or so, they settled into it. I was sick of fighting with them to leave the house. Now, they'll do what we did when we were young. Find something to entertain themselves with.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:45 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

My kids play outside on bikes and scooters etc, but we live in a small court, the sad part about it is, is that I watch them ALL the time (they are 12,8 and 4) I know we have a registered child sex offender living within walking distance of our house and this more than anything makes me limit what they can and cannot do. They would play outside in the UK but only in the garden/friends gardens so their outdoor play habits have not changed that much - but as you say SB I still can't get anything done around the house!!!!
Old May 15th 2005, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Now, they'll do what we did when we were young. Find something to entertain themselves with.[/QUOTE]

Well said....something alot of kids have a problem doing!

We sure had to as kids......
Old May 15th 2005, 8:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

lock them in a cellar? At least it's a cool place, so not entirely cruel
Old May 15th 2005, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

My kids play outside here when the weather's not too hot or freezing. My 13 year old plays basketball/football with his mates either on our driveway or theirs. My 8 year old daughter plays outside with our neighbour's daughter but always stays within sight. We live in a small enclosed development and we know most of the people. Recently she has been asking can she ride her bike around the development but I won't let her. She thinks I'm just being mean but I worry/panic if I can't see or hear her.

I think my kids spend the same amount of time outside as they did in England, but nowhere near how much I played out when I was young. When there was no school I used to have my breakfast and go out to play and only went home when I was thirsty or hungry. After dinner I would play out again and usually my Mum would come looking for me to have tea, after tea it was off outside again until bedtime.
Old May 15th 2005, 10:21 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

My kids play outside both here and in the UK - they're both very independent, (well, 'cepting this youngest one of course)!
Old May 15th 2005, 10:40 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
My kids play outside both here and in the UK - they're both very independent, (well, 'cepting this youngest one of course)!
There are no other kids around, though.... we need a National Get Your Kids Outdoors day here or something cos I swear every kid on this street is inside playing video games (except mine).
Old May 15th 2005, 10:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

There are no other kids around, though.... we need a National Get Your Kids Outdoors day here or something cos I swear every kid on this street is inside playing video games (except mine).
they probably do, hallmark have a day for everything else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.