Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DO YOU VOTE IN THE UK ?

DO YOU VOTE IN THE UK ?

Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:38 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DO YOU VOTE IN THE UK ?

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I don't pay taxes there anymore so I don't see why I should have a say in how they spend their money so I don't vote. That and I think they're all as crooked as each other.
Its not all about money like the US - there are other important issues such as opposing cat licences and supporting gays whether they are government ministers or not, and getting A level exam passes up from 98% to 101%
as a first step. Also global warming which could reduce rainfall to 3000 inches per annum and cause an increase in summer barbecues which would inevitably mean more drinking..
When I am thrown out of the US making doorstep religious nuts lose their faith, I want england to be an even better place to return to
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
Anyone got any experience of this business about them mailing out the forms 4 days before the election with the requirement that they be back on election day ?

I dont see how anyone living further away than Calais can have their vote counted
On the east coast, able to get the ballot on time but needed to spend a fortune on overnighting to get it back in time.

Hence why I set my mother up as my proxy voter....bit of a hassle as I never re-registered back home from when I was at uni, so she get's a postal vote as my proxy.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I don't pay taxes there anymore so I don't see why I should have a say in how they spend their money so I don't vote. That and I think they're all as crooked as each other.
If you plan to ever return, it's worth seeing things go the way you'd like, or for your children.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:54 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you plan to ever return, it's worth seeing things go the way you'd like, or for your children.

Yes I think as long as we hold red passports and value them, we have an interest in making sure there is a reasonable bolt hole in england if things get sticky here in the US and people with a body mass idex over that of lena zavaroni get taxed 30k pa, or gimmers get called up to serve in the north korean war which is due after Aghanistan is persuaded to become like california and Iran has become a US territory like Guam or a smouldering crater like the new one on the moon
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:02 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know I could vote? as I wasn't living there! I have only once missed voting and it was when my boys where very young and I didn't know what day of the week it was...knew my bother could but different matter as army.
how to they allocate a consitunency? (forgive the selling, spell checker doesn't do this...too American) when you vote?
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by made of kent
I didn't know I could vote? as I wasn't living there! I have only once missed voting and it was when my boys where very young and I didn't know what day of the week it was...knew my bother could but different matter as army.
how to they allocate a consitunency? (forgive the selling, spell checker doesn't do this...too American) when you vote?
you enter the postcode of your last addess in the Uk and they register you there

Seems it only works if you know someone who will vote for you - proxy

vote in euro elections too

here is how

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/

http://www.europarl.org.uk/section/e...ons/can-i-vote

Last edited by exvj; Oct 9th 2009 at 2:07 am.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:31 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
The BNP, seriously??
They are a pretty decent alternative to the National Front.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lansbury
They are a pretty decent alternative to the National Front.
Nick Griffin is a clever guy and the acceptable face of the party. Never heard him say much that wasnt sensible and acceptable. When I see some of the guys hanging around him though, they seem more like NF so I have doubts about the real BNP people. Perhaps he needs heavies to protect him, but he needs more intellectual politicians around him too.
It's quite interesting that Enoch Powell (my day) was against black immigration and now very many black people who were born in England are nicely integrated because their culture was broadly christian and English speaking, whereas the issue is now Moslem immigration where there are people who have been in Britain 30 years and who dont speak a word of english and find the broadly christian culture unacceptable and not something they want to integrate with.

It will be an issue I follow with interest in the dark cold nights of winter. The Normans and Saxons and Vikings ended up speaking English and being broadly Christian and merging in, but I dont see this being resolved so easily.

My last place of residence for a few months was Darwen with Blackburn - check this photo and see if you can see me amongst my fellow englishmen and Blackburn neighbours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:%D...D1%8F_2007.jpg
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Nick Griffin is a clever guy and the acceptable face of the party. Never heard him say much that wasnt sensible and acceptable. When I see some of the guys hanging around him though, they seem more like NF so I have doubts about the real BNP people. Perhaps he needs heavies to protect him, but he needs more intellectual politicians around him too.
It's quite interesting that Enoch Powell (my day) was against black immigration and now very many black people who were born in England are nicely integrated because their culture was broadly christian and English speaking, whereas the issue is now Moslem immigration where there are people who have been in Britain 30 years and who dont speak a word of english and find the broadly christian culture unacceptable and not something they want to integrate with.

It will be an issue I follow with interest in the dark cold nights of winter. The Normans and Saxons and Vikings ended up speaking English and being broadly Christian and merging in, but I dont see this being resolved so easily.

My last place of residence for a few months was Darwen with Blackburn - check this photo and see if you can see me amongst my fellow englishmen and Blackburn neighbours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:%D...D1%8F_2007.jpg
Ok I give up. Are you really in that photo? Where's Wally was much easier......
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:59 pm
Banned

Ok I give up. Are you really in that photo? Where's Wally was much easier......

giggle - trick question - I was about a mile away working online trying to get my green card..

My USC wife from Milwaukee used to go to the supermarket on Sunday morning and most times, 85% of the customers were women and she was often the only one not wearing a burqa.

I suppose it was the same in 900 AD where 50% of the guys were wearing horned helmets and pillaging the supermarkets and the Brits were saying it was change you couldn't believe in - but looking at that photo I think it will take longer to resolve

Now don't get me wrong - I like diversity and colour doesn't even register with me unless I concentrate - but cultural differences on this scale have a habit of making their presence felt

I became a UK voter in 1968 but I don't remember anyone asking me about approving these changes, so I wonder what the vote is really worth ?
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

giggle - trick question - I was about a mile away working online trying to get my green card..

My USC wife from Milwaukee used to go to the supermarket on Sunday morning and most times, 85% of the customers were women and she was often the only one not wearing a burqa.

I suppose it was the same in 900 AD where 50% of the guys were wearing horned helmets and pillaging the supermarkets and the Brits were saying it was change you couldn't believe in - but looking at that photo I think it will take longer to resolve

Now don't get me wrong - I like diversity and colour doesn't even register with me unless I concentrate - but cultural differences on this scale have a habit of making their presence felt

I became a UK voter in 1968 but I don't remember anyone asking me about approving these changes, so I wonder what the vote is really worth ?
I'm a bit slow on the uptake, I just got up.....

On a similar note, I was standing in line at NEXT near where we lived in London, the young woman next in line had a burqa and had her face completely covered with a veil. While we were waiting she tapped someone else further up the line on the shoulder and said "Hi! didn't you recognise me?"
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:31 pm
Banned

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, I just got up.....

On a similar note, I was standing in line at NEXT near where we lived in London, the young woman next in line had a burqa and had her face completely covered with a veil. While we were waiting she tapped someone else further up the line on the shoulder and said "Hi! didn't you recognise me?"
I was riding my motorbike in Bradford and turned into a street behind a car. The car stopped and reversed ! As it hit my bike I threw myself off onto the pavement so I was ok but the bike was crushed.
Two asians got out of the car - the guy had been driving and was dressed like Osama - his wife had the full burqa wear. I thought 'oh no' - but :
She had beautiful English and was really intelligent and educated and handled the whole incident very well and did the documentation re insurance etc. Their Insurance company paid up promptly. I had to try not to look at her coz I know that culture doesn't approve.

So now I am left with not caring about colour and being impressed with the cleanliness and education and sophistication of this asian woman. So why would I worry about England being very largely Asian in future ? I suppose it's the loss of my own culture and it being replaced - but if the Asians of tomorrow are anything like her, then there are a lot of council estates in Bradford that would be very much improved from the cess pits they are now

The fact is that all Asians are not like her and whereas she could find a way to co-exist, I reckon there are many of that community who will not. Perhaps time will produce more of her and less of them - we will see

But I wouldnt have voted for the experiment because if it really goes wrong then England will have the devil to pay
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:59 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I vote, and yes, I can't wait to get rid of the venal arse-licking New Labour slag that is my (constituency's) MP and replace her with some other venal arse-licker...
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Yes, I vote, and yes, I can't wait to get rid of the venal arse-licking New Labour slag that is my (constituency's) MP and replace her with some other venal arse-licker...
I was just going to have my buttered bagel too...

oh well -less calories I suppose
Old Oct 10th 2009, 7:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Extract from British Embassy website

Looks like 1 in 30 of us votes in UK elections

Should we care what happens in the Uk now we have left ?

Approximately 678,000 British expatriates live in the United States but very few are registered to vote in the UK. According to Head of Campaigns and Public Information at the Electoral Commission, Nina Ziaullah, overseas voters are severely underrepresented on the UK Electoral Register.

She said: "There are fewer than 20,000 British expatriates on the electoral register, a tiny fraction of the estimated six million Britons living abroad. Part of the problem is that many overseas voters simply don't know that they are eligible to vote. Many people also wait until an election is called before they register. However, if a snap election is called, there may not be much time to get registered which is why it is important to do so now

Not all of the 678,000 are eligible to register. But if those overseas did take a more active interest, at least some MPs might take more interest in the concerns of overseas Britons. For example, the 3 year residence rule for university tuition fees and the extra hassle/cost in getting a British passport overseas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.