Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:11 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Obviously you lot feel happier sitting with your guns cocked all day long and sleeping with one eye open. I prefer to get on with life without dwelling on the remote chance of a a drug-fuelled burglar breaking into my house, in which case I'll be legging it.
I don't sit around with my guns cocked all day and sleep with one eye open.
For the most part, I don't worry about crime at all. Don't think about it.
I am aware of my surroundings, and fortunately, Denver is a pretty safe city.
I feel safer here than I do on Poole High Street in the UK.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, if it's following the letter of the law, that's one thing. Up in Maine, along that stretch of 295, you never see a ME plate pulled over at the end of the month.
* speeds back up again *
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:38 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
No, just saying anyone at home getting burgled who decides to face the robber is more likely to get the worse end of the stick and if he happens to have a gun is more likely to get shot by his own gun than if he had just legged it.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with gun ownership, but having a gun doesn't make one safer at home.

For a few, well trained people here, it probably would, but for most, it would be a hindrance.
I think what some of us are taking issue with, Bob, is the way that you're throwing out these quantitative statements without any credible data to back them up.

But, for the sake of moving the conversation along, let's agree to say that there is some risk in confronting a burglar, even if one is armed.

How do we risk assess the alternative tactic of passive compliance (given that "legging it" may not be an option)? How is one supposed to know whether the masked men who've just broken down your door are intent on:
(a) Taking your stuff and leaving you unharmed,
(b) Taking your stuff then killing you for shits and giggles, or
(c) Ignoring your stuff while raping, killing and eating you. Not necessarily in that order.

Hint: Any answer involving the word "most" will be disqualified on the basis of culpable asstwattery.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I think what some of us are taking issue with, Bob, is the way that you're throwing out these quantitative statements without any credible data to back them up.
You've not provided anything to counter it either though, except some bokum anecdotal news stories.

Like I said, no problems with gun ownership, but owning a gun for safety is just a daft reason.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I can appreciate the need for data to back up statements. A quick google turned this up for me:

"Overall, Branas's study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...nd-killed.html
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I can appreciate the need for data to back up statements. A quick google turned this up for me:

"Overall, Branas's study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher."

Did you notice that Wintemute has published a critique of that study?

FLAWS IN STUDY OF FIREARM POSSESSION AND RISK FOR ASSAULT
Am J Public Health, June 1, 2010; 100(6): 967 - 968.

I haven't read either yet, I might have access to that journal at work.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:24 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
You've not provided anything to counter it either though, except some bokum anecdotal news stories.
I'm not the one making the assertion, though. It's down to you to substantiate it, and there's nothing to refute until you do.

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake

I can't get ahold of the paper, as we don't have a subscription to that journal. That said, there's a lot of studies like that about. Typically, they neglect some significant factor about the sample, such as it being gangbangers in a ghetto neighbourhood, etc.

FWIW, the National Academy of the Sciences did a detailed meta-study, a while back, on concealed handguns and crime which concluded that letting law abiding foks carry had, at worst, no effect and possibly some positive effect. In other words - it can't hurt and it might help. I'll try to dig out the link.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Like I said, no problems with gun ownership, but owning a gun for safety is just a daft reason.
Bokum? Are those new reports not true then? Is this story false? Is the Boston Globe making it up?

Are you seriously arguing that being unarmed and defenseless in the face of a violent threat is a good thing?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Did you notice that Wintemute has published a critique of that study?

FLAWS IN STUDY OF FIREARM POSSESSION AND RISK FOR ASSAULT
Am J Public Health, June 1, 2010; 100(6): 967 - 968.

I haven't read either yet, I might have access to that journal at work.
It doesn't surprise me in the least that there would be critiques of that study, or of any study for that matter. Afterall, as the researcher pointed out, you can't really hand a gun to one person and say "defend yourself" and deny a gun to the other, stand back and take notes.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can't get ahold of the paper, as we don't have a subscription to that journal. That said, there's a lot of studies like that about. Typically, they neglect some significant factor about the sample, such as it being gangbangers in a ghetto neighbourhood, etc.

FWIW, the National Academy of the Sciences did a detailed meta-study, a while back, on concealed handguns and crime which concluded that letting law abiding foks carry had, at worst, no effect and possibly some positive effect. In other words - it can't hurt and it might help. I'll try to dig out the link.
The researchers attempted to account for the issue that you have highlighted.

"The team also accounted for other potentially confounding differences, such as the socioeconomic status of their neighbourhood."

They also offered a theory behind their findings which seems intuitive to me:

"While it may be that the type of people who carry firearms are simply more likely to get shot, it may be that guns give a sense of empowerment that causes carriers to overreact in tense situations, or encourages them to visit neighbourhoods they probably shouldn't, Branas speculates."

I can pick apart any study if left alone with it long enough. It's what I do for a living. People often want to hear that a study equates to 100% certainty, and that's never possible. That's why we usually see the margin of error quoted. Still, if the method is sound, and the analyst is unbiased when reviewing the data, it's worth reviewing with an open mind.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:11 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I don't sit around with my guns cocked all day and sleep with one eye open.
For the most part, I don't worry about crime at all. Don't think about it.
I am aware of my surroundings, and fortunately, Denver is a pretty safe city.
I feel safer here than I do on Poole High Street in the UK.
Similar here ...

when I was young I sat around with my cock all gunned with his one eye open
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not the one making the assertion, though. It's down to you to substantiate it, and there's nothing to refute until you do.
But you are, your saying your safer and that's why you're gun owners, okay perhaps you not specifically with that point.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Bokum? Are those new reports not true then? Is this story false? Is the Boston Globe making it up?

Are you seriously arguing that being unarmed and defenseless in the face of a violent threat is a good thing?
Like I said, your picking anecdotal one off stories. It's like people picking stories to say the NHS is shit.

It's just rather daft.

What I'm saying is, most people, when faced with a in the shit situation aren't likely to be clear headed to not make a mess of things and something faffing around with a fun is more likely to get it taken off them and used against them than actually taking a shot at killing a person in front of them.

Had they done nothing, it's much more likely the robber will bugger off, breaking and entering while a bad crime is nothing compared to armed robbery. Your going to hear more of the bad stuff happening, but that's because they are more sensational, far more robberies happen without guns or other weapons.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't think there's a problem with owning a gun, have fun shooting, whatever.

I just think that owning one for personal protection is a general false prophecy. It won't make you safer.
We have great fun shooting. I must ask whether you have ever held; fired; or been in the same room as a gun?

If I ever have an in the shit situation I will be sure to pop back on here and give you a run down of how it went.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob

In your opinion...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.