Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you think expats are mean to each other?

Do you think expats are mean to each other?

Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think expats are mean to each other?

Originally Posted by cutina
I went to a pub quiz last night in Cincinnati, where the host was a british expat woman. The quiz was crap, but that isn't the point here... I was there with my team (4 americans and a canadian), and she had me singled out as british from the start. when she found out I didn't know the answer to a 'British Question' about Sir Isaac Newton, she called me a dumb bitch over the Mic. It was really mean and uncalled for, she wasn't even laughing. We exchanged words and my friends were all really shocked at how nasty she was to me. Did she single me out because I am british?

I know I can be opinionated about things, but i always try to be respectful to people and although I can defend myself when attacked, why would someone do that? It really upset me, and i felt totally embarassed in front of my friends, some of whom happen to be colleages too.
My friends felt like she thought she was some kind of celebrity because she was English... and maybe I stepped on her toes?

Shame about that but then it made her look like a real arse,didn't it?...probably was because she liked being in the limelight on her own,just like someone else said!
There's a few Brits around here(amazingly!)we bump into each other occasionally,have a good chat and laugh,then we don't see each other for months,however,there is one who actually lives here in the same tiny town as me!,at least I assume he/she is a Brit because they fly a huge Union Jack on their flag pole along with the US flag,I did get my son to drop a Xmas card in their mailbox last Xmas,just to say hello and gave them my phone number...never heard a word!,so....would've been nice to get together now and then,but I just thought,well,thats their choice! I'm the type of person who gets along with everyone I meet,whether over here or anywhere else I've lived,but I wouldn't consider 'forcing' myself on anyone.....I've never even bumped into the 'newbies'...sad,but ....there you go!.....Sophia
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:39 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

why do you think it's like that? I'm happy to meet brits!
Me too ! It's nice to find someone else who understands sasrcasm and irony occasionally... I cherish meeting Brits regardless (of their knowledge of Sir Isaac Newton)....

Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
Me too ! It's nice to find someone else who understands sasrcasm and irony occasionally... I cherish meeting Brits regardless (of their knowledge of Sir Isaac Newton)....

He made great beer didn't he. Shame he died so young.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:45 pm

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
He made great beer didn't he. Shame he died so young.
LOLOL... If I live that long I'll be happy !
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I think 'you cow" might have got her going.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:20 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

You don't know how much better you've all made me feel. I let things like this get to me too much.
Like a lot of people, I pretend to take it at the time it happens, and I can defend myself, but then you go home and feel awful.

shucks, thanks everyone, for the support xx
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:14 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only mete a couple of Brits since I've been here. One was a scouser in the local library. Very nice guy. We discussed football for about 20 mins. I also met a london woman who was just weird. I asked her "what brings you over here?" and she said "I don't really know" That conversation was very quick. Perhaps she thought I meant literally? If so, why didnt she just say, plane, boat, swam...

My wife works at the front desk of a hotel and meets brits all the time. She can pinpoint a U.K. accent in 3 seconds flat. For a yank that's impressive. The people she has met have ranged from complete wankers to very nice.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:30 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the things I've noticed about some British people I've met is that they can often be defensive of what they have become in the US. For example, I know a woman in her 20s who lives here. She's originally from Bradford. After a few weeks of knowing her she became really weird and defensive. Then on a night out she broke down in tears and said that she felt bad because I "know what she's really like." What she meant was that her behavior, demeanor and character were really easily definable in a British sense, but in the US she had escaped all of that and become an entirely new person. Back in Britain she's be the loud goth bird who has pigtails and wears different colored Doctor Martin boots - whatever preconceptions you'd have about a person that you would meet like that she was. But only to me - to all of her US friends none of that added up. So she confessed to me that she was afraid I thought she was pretending to be something that she wasn't. It was almost as if she thought all her friends from back home had sent an envoy out to find her out.

Another person (who I'll call Barry because that's his name...) I know here has that "I'm a celebrity because I'm British" thing too. When me and my mate Dan (who is originally from Sunderland) met him at my wife's work christmas bash he was acting like royalty. Lots of aside comments about how Americans don't know this and that, aren't cultured, and are generally inferior to him. My mate Dan called him a "daft twat" and teased him in the way that British people do. It's how we communicate after all. Barry did not seem to like us being there at all. He became very defensive.

What I've concluded about this sort of thing is that peoplee who behave like tossers to other Brits are afraid. They think too highly of themselves for living in a different country to one they were born in. Not only do they think they are better than the Americans they live with, but they feel themselves superior to all those they've left behind. And they've expended an awful lot of time and energy over the years telling people how great their life is now theat they've moved to the US. Unfortunately they know like we all do that life is pretty much identical wherever you live.

Add that they might just be a twat.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by tony_2003
I've only mete a couple of Brits since I've been here. One was a scouser in the local library. Very nice guy. We discussed football for about 20 mins. I also met a london woman who was just weird. I asked her "what brings you over here?" and she said "I don't really know" That conversation was very quick. Perhaps she thought I meant literally? If so, why didnt she just say, plane, boat, swam...

My wife works at the front desk of a hotel and meets brits all the time. She can pinpoint a U.K. accent in 3 seconds flat. For a yank that's impressive. The people she has met have ranged from complete wankers to very nice.
I keep getting asked if I'm from Australia by the yanks....... although the old security guard in the building I work in asked me if I preferred the weather here compared to Pennsylvania - now THAT one confused me ! ......
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:35 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a pub quiz last night in Cincinnati, where the host was a british expat woman. The quiz was crap, but that isn't the point here... I was there with my team (4 americans and a canadian), and she had me singled out as british from the start. when she found out I didn't know the answer to a 'British Question' about Sir Isaac Newton, she called me a dumb bitch over the Mic. It was really mean and uncalled for, she wasn't even laughing. We exchanged words and my friends were all really shocked at how nasty she was to me. Did she single me out because I am british?

I know I can be opinionated about things, but i always try to be respectful to people and although I can defend myself when attacked, why would someone do that? It really upset me, and i felt totally embarassed in front of my friends, some of whom happen to be colleages too.
My friends felt like she thought she was some kind of celebrity because she was English... and maybe I stepped on her toes?

There's a couple of expats being mean to each other here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=340396&pp=20

:scared:

Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:02 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie66

Shit stirrer!
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:08 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66

Toilet humour and tiffs. A sniff of either and you're giddy from the fumes!
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:12 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

The paddling pool full of mud awaits.........
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:22 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
The paddling pool full of mud awaits.........
Nah, the wet nurse has been along and mopped it up.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

British expats are usually the best citizens. When you go back to Britain, it seems the people there are far worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.