British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do you think expats are mean to each other? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-think-expats-mean-each-other-341377/)

ironporer Dec 6th 2005 7:20 pm

Re: Do you think expats are mean to each other?

Originally Posted by Manc
It would, could you imagine what would happen if we all had a skinful.

If? I guess I just assumed that would be the case.... boozers that you all seem to be. :D

Maybe we could do it where Elsie lives- her getting free beer and all.

Elsie The Maid Dec 6th 2005 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
If? I guess I just assumed that would be the case.... boozers that you all seem to be. :D

Yea! I'll host. Free beer for everyone! :beer:

Manc Dec 6th 2005 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer

She lives in Cincy.

She'd be here, but she's writing questions for her next pub quiz.

Celsius Dec 6th 2005 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by CarlM
I met a Brit chap in Columbus recently, and he was a complete tosser!. There seems to be some sort of smugness for expats i have met who have been living here a long time.. on the plus side, his hispanic wife was a complete trogg so i got the last laugh going home to my lovely wife!

I was gonna say. The guy you're referring to may be a BE member... :rolleyes:

Chorlton Dec 6th 2005 7:30 pm

She lives in Cincy.

She'd be here, but she's writing questions for her next pub quiz.

:D

I've never had a problem with a British person in the US. Usually they all want to be your friend, but its not as annoying as the questions form the US folks.
Sounds like the woman in the first post thought she was something special because of her status. She wont be the last, I'm sure. You can't let those people bother you.
Get even quickly and move on! :D

CarlM Dec 6th 2005 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
I met some Brit guy in Columbus recently, what an arse. Been here 5 minutes and knew it all. Juanita and i made a hasty exit.

Oh touche! LOL (Git!)

Chopper-Chris Dec 6th 2005 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by CarlM
Oh touche! LOL (Git!)

I've always been impressed with the Brit's I've met over here, except one dumb bitach that thought she was hot shit becasue she'd been here a year longer and we had...she figured she knew everything there was to know about the US...

Come to think of it, I think she's back in the UK now

Chris

Bob Dec 6th 2005 7:50 pm

It would, could you imagine what would happen if we all had a skinful.

and Ray's collection of toys too....could make things very interesting :D

USBound Dec 6th 2005 8:03 pm

I think people who are rude in this manner often act this way in self defense, often in of itself misplaced.

Was she previously the ONLY other brit, are you better looking than her, is she friends with the people you were with and wanting to protect that friendship (and be "better" than you).

If you can identify something she might be protective of then you might find the root of the problem.

other than that she sounds like a reet beach.

to answer your original question no... every expat I know here (20+) are perfectly friendly peeps.

Sarah Dec 6th 2005 8:20 pm

Cutina - take it as a compliment - she was obviously so threatened by your gorgeousness that she felt she had to resort to highly immature tactic of putting you down to try and make herself look good.

I think some Expats can have a chip on their shoulder. Lionheart had an interview recently where the interviewer was an brit expat and the guy was a total git to him. Maybe they feel they've got something to prove. Chances are if they were an idiot over here they will have been one at home too.

Or you could always stick some bits of fake fur on her kneecaps and let her run round as target practise for Ray and Angry White Pyjamas :)

anotherlimey Dec 6th 2005 8:29 pm

Never had a problem with any expats, in fact they all seem pretty nice usually....except that one 2nd rate lawyer.......;):D

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 6th 2005 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Never had a problem with any expats, in fact they all seem pretty nice usually....except that one 2nd rate lawyer.......;):D

Didnt he have a hurricane named in his honour?

anotherlimey Dec 6th 2005 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

Yep, and both had similar characteristics - lots of wind and damage but for no good reason.

Rushman Dec 6th 2005 8:44 pm

British expats or native USC's, I'm somehow considered rude by everyone. Seriously. I have always said what I've seen.
My USC BIL asked if I liked his new truck
after I replied that I thought it was a prehistoric gas guzzling dinosaur he seemed offended. Then why ask.

Mrs Rush says that I shouldnt be so informative in such situations. So when her mother asked us if we'd like to have thanksgiving dinner at her house I just replied "No" and gave no reason.

That was the wrong this too. I will never understand how you can be true to yourself and polite at the same time. Politeness is bollocks, just tell the truth.

Rushman Dec 6th 2005 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

Hugo? Andrew/ FFS just name him you wusses.