British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do you think expats are mean to each other? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-think-expats-mean-each-other-341377/)

Bob Dec 6th 2005 6:00 pm

Re: Do you think expats are mean to each other?

Get tw@s the world over...she was probably gutted to find she isn't special *l*

ironporer Dec 6th 2005 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by cutina
I went to a pub quiz last night in Cincinnati, where the host was a british expat woman. The quiz was crap, but that isn't the point here... I was there with my team (4 americans and a canadian), and she had me singled out as british from the start. when she found out I didn't know the answer to a 'British Question' about Sir Isaac Newton, she called me a dumb bitch over the Mic. It was really mean and uncalled for, she wasn't even laughing. We exchanged words and my friends were all really shocked at how nasty she was to me. Did she single me out because I am british?

I know I can be opinionated about things, but i always try to be respectful to people and although I can defend myself when attacked, why would someone do that? It really upset me, and i felt totally embarassed in front of my friends, some of whom happen to be colleages too.
My friends felt like she thought she was some kind of celebrity because she was English... and maybe I stepped on her toes? :confused:

Have you thought about inviting Ray to the next get-together?

veryfunny Dec 6th 2005 6:20 pm

Competition? threatened? who knows. My American colleague at work told me that he get treated better in the UK than when he works here............

why do you think it's like that? I'm happy to meet brits!

cutina Dec 6th 2005 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
Have you thought about inviting Ray to the next get-together?

That would be a great idea!

veryfunny Dec 6th 2005 6:24 pm

I have met Brits just like you, who for some reason think now we have to be buddy buddy etc. Well in fact, it just nice to meet a fellow country folk, this maybe a Brit thing because I have worked with a lot of Americans when I was in the UK and they were always egar to meet fellow Americans etc.

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Ive not met any particularly rude brits. Most just ask how long we've been here and do we like it. I must admit I dont like it when a Brit realises I am too one and instantly wants to be my best friend because of it but I just keep my distance. Perhaps they think I am a rude Brit then.

veryfunny Dec 6th 2005 6:26 pm

Here we go again, some one has set him off.

Originally Posted by Patrick
Piss off!!!

CarlM Dec 6th 2005 6:40 pm

I went to a pub quiz last night in Cincinnati, where the host was a british expat woman. The quiz was crap, but that isn't the point here... I was there with my team (4 americans and a canadian), and she had me singled out as british from the start. when she found out I didn't know the answer to a 'British Question' about Sir Isaac Newton, she called me a dumb bitch over the Mic. It was really mean and uncalled for, she wasn't even laughing. We exchanged words and my friends were all really shocked at how nasty she was to me. Did she single me out because I am british?

I know I can be opinionated about things, but i always try to be respectful to people and although I can defend myself when attacked, why would someone do that? It really upset me, and i felt totally embarassed in front of my friends, some of whom happen to be colleages too.
My friends felt like she thought she was some kind of celebrity because she was English... and maybe I stepped on her toes? :confused:

I met a Brit chap in Columbus recently, and he was a complete tosser!. There seems to be some sort of smugness for expats i have met who have been living here a long time.. on the plus side, his hispanic wife was a complete trogg so i got the last laugh going home to my lovely wife!

Rushman Dec 6th 2005 6:47 pm

I met some Brit guy in Columbus recently, what an arse. Been here 5 minutes and knew it all. Juanita and i made a hasty exit.

Schnorbitz Dec 6th 2005 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
I met some Brit guy in Columbus recently, what an arse. Been here 5 minutes and knew it all. Juanita and i made a hasty exit.

Ouch, you're sharp! :D :D

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 6th 2005 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by rushman

:D :D :D

Rushman Dec 6th 2005 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
Ouch, you're sharp! :D :D

I tried, lord knows I tried but I just couldn't resist it!!

Elsie The Maid Dec 6th 2005 7:05 pm

Sorry about that Cutina....I'd had a few too many beers. :D :D :D

Seriously...what pub were you in? Rookwood? We should meet up for a pint so I can be one of those clingy Brit friends that AWP was talking about :D

ironporer Dec 6th 2005 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by veryfunny
I have met Brits just like you, who for some reason think now we have to be buddy buddy etc. Well in fact, it just nice to meet a fellow country folk, this maybe a Brit thing because I have worked with a lot of Americans when I was in the UK and they were always egar to meet fellow Americans etc.

I would not expect Brits here, nor Americans there, nor any other expat to 'like'each other any more than at home.

Judging by what I see here at BE, I think a huge get together of all BE members somewhere might actually require riot police in body armor.

Manc Dec 6th 2005 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
Judging by what I see here at BE, I think a huge get together of all BE members somewhere might actually require riot police in body armor.

It would, could you imagine what would happen if we all had a skinful.

Celsius Dec 6th 2005 7:19 pm

Whether or not you were British, it's out of order to call someone a bitch. My bet is that she was trying to "impress" some American guys and felt you were competition.

In any case, in situations like that, I'd turn the tables on her and ask her to answer some questions that you'd pose and see if she answers them correctly. If not, calling her a "dumb bitch" would seem quite appropriate though you'd be stooping to her level.