British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do you think.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-think-224361/)

ejay1 Apr 15th 2004 4:20 pm

Do you think..

That they should make derbys in the Philippines illegal.
If you don't know what a derby is it's cock fighting.
They train roosters and they tie knives on their feet and let two of them fight to the death. And they bet on which rooster wins.

dunroving Apr 15th 2004 4:25 pm

Re: Do you think..

Originally posted by ejay1
They train roosters and they tie knives on their feet and let two of them fight to the death. And they bet on which rooster wins.
Same thing happens here in the States, illegal or not. It's barbaric.

Pimpbot Apr 15th 2004 4:30 pm

Roy Jones Jr the boxer breeds these roosters. Also, while coming back from PIR raceway last week, we passed a farm that had many of these fighting roosters out in a small field, and they looked like they were all tied up, so that they couldnt attack one another.

imo its no better than dog fighting.

ejay1 Apr 15th 2004 4:32 pm

Originally posted by dunroving
I know its illegal in the states but in a country like the Philippines its the national hobby. Its part of the culture and a favorite pastime of filipinos. How is this any different than killing a chicken or cow and eating it. They eat the rooster that is killed, and sometimes the loser isn't even killed it can also lose if it runs from the other rooster.

jaybob Apr 15th 2004 6:22 pm

1 Attachment(s)
If it was good enough for Chicken George, it's good enough for me.

ironporer Apr 15th 2004 6:40 pm

Originally posted by dunroving
Why is it so different than taking two economically disadvantaged men, putting gloves on their hands and having them knock the (literally) sense out of each other?

Look at Mohamed Ali, Joe Fraiser, or most any ex-fighter. Boxing's effects are real and directly atributed to the sport.

On the original topic, down here in Alabama-stan (a third world member of the 50 states) I see fighting cocks all over the place...although still have not seen a fight.

CaliforniaBride Apr 15th 2004 6:50 pm

Erm? Err? Uhh? Eh?

Trying, really trying, but I'm not finding any thoughts on the subject.

Sorry.

ironporer Apr 15th 2004 8:21 pm

I am reminded of a hat my brother has- in big bold letter's it proclaimed" IOWA- BIG COCK COUNTRY"
followed by a tiny picture of of a chicken.

Fighting Cocks...what a strange mental picture lol.