Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you stand up?

Do you stand up?

Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold
Default Do you stand up?

Last night I went to a rodeo with my husband. At the beginning of the show all the Americans stood up while the DJ/commentator was saying something (my husband doesn't know exactly what it was, but it was about America and its history). Anyway, he got really angry with me because I didn't immediately leap up and said that I was being disrespectful. When the commentator finished everyone sat down, then about five mins later we all stood up again for the 'Star Spangled Banner'.

I suppose I just find it strange to do this and it makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

It got me thinking. My questions are - do you stand up for the 'Star Spangled Banner'? Is it disrespectful not to? Is it acceptable not to? Should you stand up for it, even though you are not an American?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this. Also, I'd be interested to know what some of the Americans on this board think.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:04 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you stand up?

Originally Posted by Holliver
Last night I went to a rodeo with my husband. At the beginning of the show all the Americans stood up while the DJ/commentator was saying something (my husband doesn't know exactly what it was, but it was about America and its history). Anyway, he got really angry with me because I didn't immediately leap up and said that I was being disrespectful. When the commentator finished everyone sat down, then about five mins later we all stood up again for the 'Star Spangled Banner'.

I suppose I just find it strange to do this and it makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

It got me thinking. My questions are - do you stand up for the 'Star Spangled Banner'? Is it disrespectful not to? Is it acceptable not to? Should you stand up for it, even though you are not an American?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this. Also, I'd be interested to know what some of the Americans on this board think.
If I were in a foreign country at an event, and everyone stood up for an anthem or whatever, I would stand also.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Despite how painful or odd, when in Rome do as Romans or San Diegians, in your case. Part 1 of a long road of assimilation, to resist will just hurt you more..
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

I do stand up - was just a bit slow on my feet yesterday as it wasn't the national anthem they started with but something else. I didn't recognise it as something I had to stand up for (if that makes sense).
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm American. I stand up for the national anthem. If I were in another country, and some kind of announcement or speech was being made (maybe a memorial for something), and all the audience stood up, I'd stand up too, even if I didn't know what it was for. After that I'd ask what it was for and why everyone stood up.

I'm not overly patriotic, so I probably wouldn't be offended if someone didn't stand up for the US national anthem, but I guess I'd find it odd.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a native USC. Yes, I've been trained to stand up for the national anthem. As I've gotten older, I've realized it doesn't really mean as much to me, but then I'm not an overly patriotic (i.e. overzealous) citizen. I do follow suit and stand up (albeit begrudgingly), and would also do so if in another country for their anthem (or whatever the normal response is supposed to be). I do understand your discomfort though.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:44 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

If you feel intimidated in to standing for the national anthem, then it is not worthy of standing for.

If you feel comfortable sitting while those around you choose to stand, then their is freedom to be celebrated in this country.

A bit of a paradox.

I sit in Seattle, some other do to, nobody bats an eye lid, I like Seattle.

Out in Forks, a bit of a red-neck town, I felt intimidated to stand. A lot of them are a bunch of runts.

In Britain, I do not stand, in other countries I have stood, but I am a visitor, here in America, it is my home, I do what I think is right, except when intimidates to do otherwise. I think the anthem at every single instance of a sporting occasion whether professional or student is inappropriate.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 22nd 2013 at 5:49 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:35 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
If you feel intimidated in to standing for the national anthem, then it is not worthy of standing for.

If you feel comfortable sitting while those around you choose to stand, then their is freedom to be celebrated in this country.

A bit of a paradox.

I sit in Seattle, some other do to, nobody bats an eye lid, I like Seattle.

Out in Forks, a bit of a red-neck town, I felt intimidated to stand. A lot of them are a bunch of runts.

In Britain, I do not stand, in other countries I have stood, but I am a visitor, here in America, it is my home, I do what I think is right, except when intimidates to do otherwise. I think the anthem at every single instance of a sporting occasion whether professional or student is inappropriate.
When I was in the USAF it was done before a movie. Yes it gets tedious.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:23 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

When attending International football matches it is common to be asked 'to stand and respect' the national anthem of both countries, which I do.

If others are stood, I'm happy to be a sheep
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
If I were in a foreign country at an event, and everyone stood up for an anthem or whatever, I would stand also.
Yes I would/ do too.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 22nd 2013 at 12:30 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:03 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when GSTQ was played after each showing of the movie programme and everyone stood, then people stopped standing and just walked out during the anthem, so they moved it to the beginning of each showing until they stopped it altogether.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I remember when GSTQ was played after each showing of the movie programme and everyone stood, then people stopped standing and just walked out during the anthem, so they moved it to the beginning of each showing until they stopped it altogether.
I recall that people would make a rush for the door, but some would get caught and the anthem would start and they would sheepishly stop in their tracks and wait in the aisle for it to finish!

I always stand for the US anthem -- or any other anthem -- as I feel it is a courtesy to do so, and would like to think that folks from around the world would extend that same courtesy for "the Queen."
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I stand for GSTQ and the US anthem, but ever so slowly and I can't be bothered with that hand on heart nonsense.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
When attending International football matches it is common to be asked 'to stand and respect' the national anthem of both countries, which I do.

If others are stood, I'm happy to be a sheep
Me too, appropriate at International games, the funny thing is the only time they did not play it at soccer in Seattle was at an International club game in the champions league, as it is CONCACAF rules not to do so.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:30 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I stand, I think of it as being respectful to my host country.

The dude does the whole pledge of allegiance at school but I believe he throws in a few "wrong on purpose" words to see what he can get away with, he's 14, I am waiting for the call.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.