Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That is far from universal though, I rarely get asked for photo ID unless I've been pulled over (which has happened twice in nine years), or I'm at a small business who has a policy of verifying debit card purchases with a driving license.

I've also never been carded once when buying alcohol, which is worrying given the general policy of 'card if they look under 40' in stores here
I had to take an item back to a store yesterday. They insisted on seeing my photo ID before they would refund the item. Crazy. Why do they need to see ID??
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I had to take an item back to a store yesterday. They insisted on seeing my photo ID before they would refund the item. Crazy. Why do they need to see ID??
****ed if I know. Any time I've done returns they only need to see the receipt. Could have been due to the card used, maybe? Or, it could just be that particular store.

That being said, as you can see, yours and my anecdotal evidence contradict each other on this one.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:31 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

****ed if I know. Any time I've done returns they only need to see the receipt. Could have been due to the card used, maybe? Or, it could just be that particular store.

That being said, as you can see, yours and my anecdotal evidence contradict each other on this one.
It's the only time i've been asked for ID when returning an item since I moved here. Oh, Best Buy asked me for ID when I traded in an iPad also.

My real irritation is that Americans don't seem to care about being asked for ID. Those videos about the border crossings at least instill some faith back in me!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It's the only time i've been asked for ID when returning an item since I moved here. Oh, Best Buy asked me for ID when I traded in an iPad also.

My real irritation is that Americans don't seem to care about being asked for ID. Those videos about the border crossings at least instill some faith back in me!
In the situations I am asked, I don't care but then again, would you kick up a fuss if you were stopped for speeding and the policeman asked to see you license? Did you kick up a fuss in the UK if you were asked to show ID on the way into a bar?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:40 pm
Banned

In the situations I am asked, I don't care but then again, would you kick up a fuss if you were stopped for speeding and the policeman asked to see you license?
I've never once showed my drivers licence to an officer in England, usually because I never carried it with me. Plus, my details have always just been a quick phone call away for them to verify.

Did you kick up a fuss in the UK if you were asked to show ID on the way into a bar?
Yes, absolutely. Clearly I'm over 18, so there's no need to ask. I refuse to show ID here also on the rare time I enter a bar. I can always play the 'I'm English, we don't carry ID' line which works 100% so far.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I've never once showed my drivers licence to an officer in England, usually because I never carried it with me. Plus, my details have always just been a quick phone call away for them to verify.

Yes, absolutely. Clearly I'm over 18, so there's no need to ask. I refuse to show ID here also on the rare time I enter a bar. I can always play the 'I'm English, we don't carry ID' line which works 100% so far.
Why do you go out of your way to make things difficult? You are living in America, and mostly you seem to be creating stress and arguments for yourself.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:48 pm
I have a comma problem

Still a lot of fuss over nothing.

Granted, in the UK you have a grace period to present your information at the police station, which you don't have here but why over complicate it. I keep my license on me all the time, always have. That's probably an NI thing though, they have more police checkpoints there than out here by a long way.

In the case of a private business though - if they have a door policy, they don't have to let you in if you don't comply. Would you really be one of those self-important twunts who stand outside throwing a fit just because you didn't want to show ID?

Not that it was a concern of mine, as I always looked old enough that it was no question but it makes no sense that you'd potentially ruin a night out over it ...
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why do you go out of your way to make things difficult? You are living in America, and mostly you seem to be creating stress and arguments for yourself.
I just happen to feel strongly about not proving ones identity to the state and / or private company without *very* good reason.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:06 pm
I have a comma problem

I just happen to feel strongly about not proving ones identity to the state and / or private company without *very* good reason.
I think 'getting in for a drink' or 'being able to buy my dinner' are reasonable reasons, myself

It's not like they're writing it down or anything. Your credit card companies or car insurance companies probably do much worse with your personal info than a pizza joint or a nightclub ever would. All they want to do is make sure you are you, at that moment in time.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:07 pm
Banned

In the case of a private business though - if they have a door policy, they don't have to let you in if you don't comply. Would you really be one of those self-important twunts who stand outside throwing a fit just because you didn't want to show ID?
I don't want to go in those places at the best of times, I'd only be going there cos either a friend or the missus wants to. In America, the ID situation on bars is just ridiculous; my wife is in her 30's yet still has to show ID when ordering an alcoholic beverage in a bar or restaurant. Just *ridiculous*. The people that implement these policies are so stupid, they can't see the long term damage they do to society by enforcing ID requirements.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:10 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to go in those places at the best of times, I'd only be going there cos either a friend or the missus wants to. In America, the ID situation on bars is just ridiculous; my wife is in her 30's yet still has to show ID when ordering an alcoholic beverage in a bar or restaurant. Just *ridiculous*. The people that implement these policies are so stupid, they can't see the long term damage they do to society by enforcing ID requirements.
Sorry, what?! That's the most ridiculous statement I've read in a long time.

They ask for I.D. you show it to them, they serve you. I don't see how that could possibly damage the society in any way. It takes 20 seconds and it's no big deal.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:11 pm
I have a comma problem

Oh, lighten up. There is no long term damage being done by asking a percentage of people for proof age when buying a product that is age-restricted.

Your wife looks young - be happy. Mine does too and she's older than me, yet I never get carded and she does. WGAF?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:13 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, lighten up. There is no long term damage being done by asking a percentage of people for proof age when buying a product that is age-restricted.

Your wife looks young - be happy. Mine does too and she's older than me, yet I never get carded and she does. WGAF?
Horace, apparently!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:15 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bink
Horace, apparently!
Indeed

Honestly, some people think the US is some fascist police state where you can't tie your shoelaces without someone barking for an ID but I really don't see it
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned before, you can't compare a whole country. I wouldn't like to live in London, but St Austell seems nice. I wouldn't like New York, but I'm sure there are other nice places if you have a job and can afford it. The ID thing doesn't seem to be the point. However, I think we all know that in the US you are either rich or poor and the UK is certainly a free country if you compare it to the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.