Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
.... I think early exposure actually limits the risk of long term problems. Get it out of your system early, so to speak. I'm all for lowering the drinking age to sixteen for beer/wine and eighteen for spirits (speaking from experience, I could sink a pint with the best of them at 16/17 but vodka just ****ed me up!)
I think the British/ European approach of leaving it to the parents at home and in a restaurant setting i.e. drinking with a meal is most preferable. I was given cider to drink from an early age, and I remember my younger sister getting hiccoughs from drinking cider at age five, ..... at a church ploughman's lunch. (Try explaining drinking at lunch time, .... at a church event, .... when you're five years old, to Americans. ). We were given a glass of wine with Sunday lunch from the age of around 11 or 12, if I remember correctly, and none of this did either of us any harm at all.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2014 at 3:29 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be 18, until the early 1980s, until one of those uniquely American 'Mothers Against xyz' style movements campaigned to raise it back up to 21. So while the de facto age of majority remains 18, they all have to wait three years until they can drink away the stress of everything else that comes with adulthood

I think early exposure actually limits the risk of long term problems. Get it out of your system early, so to speak. I'm all for lowering the drinking age to sixteen for beer/wine and eighteen for spirits (speaking from experience, I could sink a pint with the best of them at 16/17 but vodka just ****ed me up!)
The kids get tanked up in secret before going out, which causes more problems than them spreading the drinking over an evening.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be 18, until the early 1980s, until one of those uniquely American 'Mothers Against xyz' style movements campaigned to raise it back up to 21. So while the de facto age of majority remains 18, they all have to wait three years until they can drink away the stress of everything else that comes with adulthood

I think early exposure actually limits the risk of long term problems. Get it out of your system early, so to speak. I'm all for lowering the drinking age to sixteen for beer/wine and eighteen for spirits (speaking from experience, I could sink a pint with the best of them at 16/17 but vodka just ****ed me up!)
Yes I'm familiar with the history of this one. Proponents are claiming a decrease in drunk driving fatalities since then but the fact is that overall traffic fatalities have also fallen due to safer cars, more widespread use of seat belts, air bags, etc.

One of the things that caused big problems was "border drinking" where teens would drive into a neighboring state that had a lower drinking age than their own. The response to this was to standardize the drinking age at 21. But standardizing it at 18 would have had the same effect in terms of eliminating the need for "border drinking".

Many US colleges support the Amethyst Initiative which is a movement started in 2008 to reconsider the national drinking age of 21. They think that lowering the drinking age would help colleges educate students on alcohol consumption and greatly reduce the problems associated with on campus drinking. My daughter goes to college in Ontario, Canada where the legal drinking age is 19. There are bars on and near campus that students can easily walk to if they want to enjoy a drink. My 2nd daughter goes to college in the US. I honestly don't see what advantage 21 has over 19.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 22nd 2014 at 3:29 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think the British/ European approach of leaving it to the parents at home and in a restaurant setting i.e. drinking with a meal is most preferable. I was given cider to drink from an early age, and I remember my younger sister getting hiccoughs from drinking cider at age five, ..... at a church ploughman's lunch (try explaining drinking at lunch time, .... at a church event, .... when you're five years old, to Americans. ). We were given a glass of wine with Sunday lunch from around 11-12, if I remember correctly, and none of this did either of us any harm at all.
We were allowed to drink shandy from a reasonably young age. Occasionally I'd get a sip of unmixed beer or cider (or even wine) from my dad.

I was allowed to have a beer as a treat with a meal, from about 14/15, so I'd agree that with parents there should be no restriction for beer or wine (I'd still restrict spirits) but one should be able to walk into a pub or offie at sixteen without an adult present and buy a beer.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I honestly don't see what advantage 21 has over 19.
There is none, that I can think of.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I heard that heavy drinking at a younger age, especially binge drinking, increases the probability of alcoholism in later life.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I heard that heavy drinking at a younger age, especially binge drinking, increases the probability of alcoholism in later life.
Understood but you have to have the cutoff somewhere. If a minor ceases to be a minor at 18, that would seem to be the logical legal drinking age. Going to war at 18 isn't good for your health either but the government doesn't seem to have a problem with that one.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_
Logic dictates in the first circumstance you are better off with a gun than without one, because you could have a situation where you have no gun and the burglar has one, so if you have one, in all situations you are more likely to survive the situation because at least you can shoot back, regardless of the intent of the burglar.

You'd have to provide a cite for the second point but the Wright/Rossi surveys of prisoners back in the 1970s indicated that 74% of the surveyed prisoners agreed with the statement that they avoid houses where people are present because they fear being shot.
On a simplistic level yes, but people behaviour and logic don't necessarily equate to the same thing.

I couldn't remember what I was reading, but this is actually quite interesting - The Effects of Gun Prevalence on Burglary: Deterrence vs Inducement

The big thing being guns are attractive targets for criminals to steal, so may actually increase the risk of burglary if a household owns a gun.

All of the above said, I don't think it is as simple as the arguments from either side make out. It's not a lab controlled experiment with only 1 variable, so it's much harder to predict and understand the true outcome on your life of owning or not owning a gun.

Anyway, enough thread derailing from me!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Surely anecdotal at best. I started drinking at 16, did my heaviest drinking from 19-23, now I'm 35 and barely drink at all.

Early exposure doesn't lead to alcoholism - weak mindedness does.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Surely anecdotal at best. I started drinking at 16, did my heaviest drinking from 19-23, now I'm 35 and barely drink at all.

Pretty much the same for me. Started at 15. Most drinking done at Uni (19-22) then sporadic at best and now pretty non existent.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:27 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by SarahG
Pretty much the same for me. Started at 15. Most drinking done at Uni (19-22) then sporadic at best and now pretty non existent.
It's not even by design in my case, I just have other things to do.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:36 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Here, Here!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I started earlier, but really didn't drink regularly until AFTER I left university. I peaked later too, around 28-30, and it tailed off after that. I would like to have one or two 12oz beers every day with dinner, but even that has about stopped, for now at least. I'll usually get a 20-25oz beer when eating out.

My in-laws don't understand, they're almost tea total, and that a family (mine) could enjoy wine and beer responsibly at home, or in a restaurant, was a mystery to them, and my FIL said almost [i]exactly[i] that to me once. "Drinking" to them meant getting hammered, as likely as not on moonshine.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2014 at 4:46 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guns concern me although not having a gun also concerns me in case someone comes into my house in the middle of the night. One thing that really concerns me as a parent, is when my kids go to their friends' houses. You never know who has weapons and how they are stored. I'm very wary about getting into any type of altercation here in the US (e.g. driving) simply because you never know who or what you are dealing with. It could be someone with a gun in the glove box - possibly drunk or high on drugs.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that I'm not making the claim but this was part of the article I was reading a few weeks ago.

"In fact, children who begin drinking by age 13 have a 38 percent higher risk of developing alcohol dependence later in life, said another speaker Ting-Kai Li, MD, director of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), who also spoke at the briefing. The risk is even higher for those who start drinking early and have a family history of alcoholism."

http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan08/earlydrinking.aspx

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 22nd 2014 at 5:16 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Keep in mind that I'm not making the claim but this was part of the article I was reading a few weeks ago.

"In fact, children who begin drinking by age 13 have a 38 percent higher risk of developing alcohol dependence later in life, said another speaker Ting-Kai Li, MD, director of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), who also spoke at the briefing. The risk is even higher for those who start drinking early and have a family history of alcoholism."

http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan08/earlydrinking.aspx
Right but I'm not sure what kids drinking by 13 has to do with a debate about having a legal drinking age at 18 vs 21. The selection if 21 is really an historical thing because 21 was once considered the age when young people became adults. That's a very outdated view. Today, a young person officially becomes an adult at 18. If you are adult enough to vote and go to war at 18, surely you should be able to buy a beer at 18?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.