British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do you prefer the UK to the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-prefer-uk-usa-822146/)

Brownsugarccf Jan 18th 2014 9:14 pm

Do you prefer the UK to the USA

I'm quite new to the forum...in my research stages for the K1. I just had a good read of an old thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535982 and it really made me smile to read the more positive views as I appreciate views are mixed! It was from a few years ago though and i'm interested in hearing views of people now, particularly recent movers to the US. I'll be going to Ohio eventually :) so need to make some friends who can relate to me. Friends are in that stage of mock interest lol!

Michael Jan 18th 2014 9:40 pm

Re: Do you prefer the US to the USA

Originally Posted by Brownsugarccf (Post 11085046)
I'm quite new to the forum...in my research stages for the K1. I just had a good read of an old thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535982 and it really made me smile to read the more positive views as I appreciate views are mixed! It was from a few years ago though and i'm interested in hearing views of people now, particularly recent movers to the US. I'll be going to Ohio eventually :) so need to make some friends who can relate to me. Friends are in that stage of mock interest lol!

This link is a more recent thread that was phrased to look for positive experiences in the US. There are a lot of threads moaning about the US but that can be expected (no real Cadbury chocolates, no real bacon, bad drivers, and all other really important things:D).

Sally Redux Jan 18th 2014 10:01 pm

Crikey a lot of old faces in that thread.

Hotscot Jan 18th 2014 10:01 pm

Do you mean the UK to the USA?

Brownsugarccf Jan 18th 2014 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 11085103)
Do you mean the UK to the USA?

Yes UK to the US. I really enjoy reading these view points. Just had the OH on the phone telling me to stop reading the bad stuff lol!

Mrs Danvers Jan 18th 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Oh **** yes. Prefer the UK culture to the US one. Can anyone actually define a uniform US culture anyway?

People arsing about pretending to be Christians when the only value they have is $

Wondering why they have so many school shootings but pretending it's not anything to do with the gun culture and feigning the Jane Austen heroine jaunty bonnet thing (Thanks Malcolm Tucker) if you dare suggest their gun laws might be something to do with it. "it's our culture!" Well your culture is kind of shit then.

General lack of respect for ones fellow human being.

I would say that the USA around forty years ago might have been something. However the government has been bought by money and it's pretty useless for anything Average Joe wants or needs.

Poor is your own fault, lack of morals and character etc

Trouble is, as a nurse I'd make no money at all at home unless I did the NHS full time job and private job thing on the side........so for me it's the $ too, but at least I'm not pretending to like the culture or the "freedom" or the guns etc.

AmerLisa Jan 19th 2014 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11085102)
Crikey a lot of old faces in that thread.

I was thinking the same thing! Who was Kaffy Mintcake again? :confused:

Ahhh yes, the great toilet debate! lol

Derrygal Jan 19th 2014 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Brownsugarccf (Post 11085046)

Just wondering - what part of Ohio are you moving to?
In answer to your question - do I prefer the UK or USA? Lots of things I like about the US and lots of things I don't like. I've been here quite a while (23 years). Would go back to UK tomorrow if I didn't have children & grand-children here. The US lost it's appeal for me quite a while ago - hate the politics, gun culture, etc.

durham_lad Jan 19th 2014 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 11085348)
In answer to your question - do I prefer the UK or USA? Lots of things I like about the US and lots of things I don't like. I've been here quite a while (23 years). Would go back to UK tomorrow if I didn't have children & grand-children here. The US lost it's appeal for me quite a while ago - hate the politics, gun culture, etc.

This sums up our view as well, including the children that still live here.

Sally Redux Jan 19th 2014 3:45 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 11085283)
I was thinking the same thing! Who was Kaffy Mintcake again? :confused:

Ahhh yes, the great toilet debate! lol

She seems to have deserted us.

AmerLisa Jan 19th 2014 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11085393)
She seems to have deserted us.

But didn't she change her name to something else? :confused: Or maybe it was to Kaffy.... :o

Sally Redux Jan 19th 2014 3:50 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 11085396)
But didn't she change her name to something else? :confused: Or maybe it was to Kaffy.... :o

Yeah she changed it to Kaffy - as an honorary Essex girl - and something to do with Kendal Mintcake. She had a boring name like KG2000 to start with.

Sally Redux Jan 19th 2014 4:01 am

Anyway, don't want to disappoint, I prefer the UK. But it's obviously highly dependent on your individual circumstances and you can't really tell how you're actually going to react beforehand.

Pulaski Jan 19th 2014 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11085406)
Anyway, don't want to disappoint, I prefer the UK. ....

No! Really? :ohmy: You kept that pretty quiet. :rolleyes:

AmerLisa Jan 19th 2014 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11085400)
Yeah she changed it to Kaffy - as an honorary Essex girl - and something to do with Kendal Mintcake. She had a boring name like KG2000 to start with.

Ah yes..