Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Originally Posted by Bob
If you're over 18, you're not even required to wear a seatbelt in NH
In some other states, seat belts aren't required if you're sitting in the rear seat. It's crazy.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

No pedestrians crossing the road when they were killed wore seatbelts. We should make them compulsory immediately!
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casual Observer
No pedestrians crossing the road when they were killed wore seatbelts. We should make them compulsory immediately!
A study in Kent reported that after use of seatbelts became compulsory, road fatalities increased. Fewer car drivers and passengers were killed, but apparently drivers felt safer, so drove faster, and killed more pedestrians and cyclists!
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:11 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
killed more pedestrians and cyclists!
Points make prizes!
Old Jan 24th 2014, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

A study in Kent reported that after use of seatbelts became compulsory, road fatalities increased. Fewer car drivers and passengers were killed, but apparently drivers felt safer, so drove faster, and killed more pedestrians and cyclists!
That ties in with the point I was making about guns earlier. Logically you expect one thing to happen as a consequence, but in reality there are very often unforeseen and unintended results that occur. BTW despite how it might seem, I'm not particularly anit-gun, but I'm not pro-gun either, both sides arguments have holes in them, so I just sit on the fence, as I don't know what is the better solution.

It's similar to the bike helmets phenomenon, where wearing a bike helmet puts you more at risk from motorists, as they give you less room than a rider without a helmet (although at least you're a bit more protected when they hit you! )
Old Jan 24th 2014, 10:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's irrelevant. If they're the kind of arsehole that's going to drive drunk, then they're going to drive drunk whether or not they have passengers who are drinking or not.
I don't think it is irrelevant, because it makes life easier for the police during a traffic stop, and if you think you're going to get stopped, you're less likely to drink. Instead of having to test the driver all they've got to see is an open container - so you've broken the law. No doubt that leads to a sobriety test, but all I can say is the phenomenon of carloads of drunk teenagers tearing around acting like idiots seems to be less than it is in the UK. Although it does still exist.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 10:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well Montana has the highest rate of road fatalities in the US (depending on year but it's typically in the top three and often first) and it is the only State where wearing a seat belt isn't mandatory. Theoretically it is, but it's classed as a secondary offence, i.e. you have to be pulled over for something else, they can't pull you over for that only.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:40 am
Just Joined

pawre is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm Canadian. I have lived in the US and UK. I think the UK is a great place. I would choose that vs the US any day!

BTW, yes Canada is nice but tbh too boring for me! I much prefer the UK....