Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:36 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you prefer the UK to the USA

Originally Posted by Nutek
Tracking peoples cell phones? About 20 years ago I would imagine.
Well, indeed. Though the scary part is the pro-active use of now informing those with a cell phone in a certain area that they are now 'registered' as a participant in violence! Outrageous.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in the US and would say it depends on where in the US (and, also where in the UK) ..
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Welcome to photo ID obsessed America. Their simple minds are just fixated on seeing photo id. They can't operate outside those parameters.
I've had a situation where I showed my NEXUS card at the security desk (issued by CBP) at USCIS and they wouldn't let me through until I showed them my DL. Also, had the same thing with TSA at the airport.

Bearing in mind in the photo you can see the CBP flag in the background.

But frankly the UK has become ID obsessed too in the last few years, I think it must have been awhile since people were there to be saying there is a big difference. Remember the whole fiasco with the national ID card and National Identity Register.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:14 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I've had a situation where I showed my NEXUS card at the security desk (issued by CBP) at USCIS and they wouldn't let me through until I showed them my DL. Also, had the same thing with TSA at the airport.

Bearing in mind in the photo you can see the CBP flag in the background.

But frankly the UK has become ID obsessed too in the last few years, I think it must have been awhile since people were there to be saying there is a big difference. Remember the whole fiasco with the national ID card and National Identity Register.
Agreed, but that was only shelved because of the public outrage at such a system. Do you think there would be similar levels of push back in America?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I would LOVE to meet them. I'm sure they exist, i just don't meet them. The wife just doesn't understand why I refuse to carry or present ID. To give you a example; we had to show ID just to PARK our car in Boston the other week! It's insane.
MA is a weird one, it's one of a few states where if you're driving and asked for your valid drivers license and you don't have it on hand, that they will arrest you and haul you in. Most states give you a ticket and x number of time to provide proof of license, usually 24-48 hours.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
MA is a weird one, it's one of a few states where if you're driving and asked for your valid drivers license and you don't have it on hand, that they will arrest you and haul you in. Most states give you a ticket and x number of time to provide proof of license, usually 24-48 hours.
I carry a copy of my UK paper licence in my glove box just in case
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I carry a copy of my UK paper licence in my glove box just in case
They look at the date your car was registered and it's over 12 months, doesn't matter if you're a tourist or not, they could arrest you.

Irrelevant though, because your drivers license is tied to your cars registration along with your insurance and they pull that when they run your tags in MA, so they know. Only really likely to be a problem if the town relies on tickets for a chunk of income though.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, but that was only shelved because of the public outrage at such a system. Do you think there would be similar levels of push back in America?
Read up on REAL ID, many States have actually passed laws saying they won't comply with it (which is stupid imo, especially stupid was the opposition to enhanced ID which is purely voluntary). How many times have the REAL ID regulations been put off now, I forget.

If anything there is more push back in the US.

Actually quite a relevant topic as they've just started enforcement of the REAL ID provisions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Are you saying there are now ID cards in the UK?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Are you saying there are now ID cards in the UK?
The only ID card is by the back door with the driving licence. Thankfully I have my paper only licence.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The only ID card is by the back door with the driving licence. Thankfully I have my paper only licence.
And you still have 5 days to produce it I think?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:08 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

And the refund? How do you defend me being required to show ID for a *refund*?
They probably thought you looked like a Romanian, had nicked the item and was trying to exchange it for cash. The ID check would have show this not to be the case.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:13 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the UK.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

That's what they'd have said when Europe sleep walked into totalitarianism back then as well you know.
I for one know no such thing. I promise you that world war 2 did not start because someone was asked to show an ID card. Perhaps I could use your post as an example of where the education system went wrong in another current thread.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Casual Observer
I for one know no such thing. I promise you that world war 2 did not start because someone was asked to show an ID card. Perhaps I could use your post as an example of where the education system went wrong in another current thread.
I guess Cambridge and a Rugby public school didn't really do much for my education, but cest la vie.

WW2 resulted in widescale identity checks with internment for those unable to prove their identity. You may wish to live in that type of society, but I do not. Next you'll be telling me that old classic 'those who have nothing to hide...' next!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.