British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   do you need to use a credit card pin number in US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-need-use-credit-card-pin-number-us-391136/)

lucyspoon Aug 17th 2006 3:21 pm

do you need to use a credit card pin number in US?

Hi All
Off to California for 3 weeks next Friday and my other half has just realised he has never received a pin number for his credit card and the bank cannot guarantee that we will receive one before we leave!

Do you have the same procedure whereby you use your Pin Number on each transaction for purchases, or do you just sign a slip?

Sorry to appear ignorant

Lucy

TouristTrap Aug 17th 2006 3:22 pm

Re: do you need to use a credit card pin number in US?

Sign.

You only need a pin with a debit card.

lucyspoon Aug 17th 2006 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Sign.

You only need a pin with a debit card.

Thank you sooooooooo much :D

Jerseygirl Aug 17th 2006 3:25 pm

LOL You'll find we're light years behind the UK with things like that. :D

DollyLlama Aug 17th 2006 3:55 pm

You need the pin for withdrawing money from an ATM machine using a credit card

Andy_LongIsland Aug 17th 2006 4:04 pm

Think it's useful to have it. Been in some shops and they've got something like chip n pin - i.e. I had to tap in a pin in the swipe machine (few and far between though). If you've got online banking, they often have a pin section in there :)

snowbunny Aug 17th 2006 4:07 pm

Right.... no chip-and-pin, chip-and-pin here on credit cards. If you want to take a cash advance against your credit card at a cashpoint/ATM, you will need to contact the company to obtain a PIN.

Kate2112 Aug 17th 2006 4:09 pm

Your signature isnt usually checked here let alone needing a PIN.

fatbrit Aug 17th 2006 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by lucyspoon
Off to California for 3 weeks...

You might let the issuer know that you will be using it in the US for 3 or 4 weeks. Otherwise, you might find a fraud warning stops its use...

Don't use a pin in the US otherwise it'll count as a cash advance -- with the associated rip-off fees. Here, you generally just sign for a credit transaction.

You might run into trouble using it at gas (petrol) stations and some other places where they request your zip (post) code as the PIN. No idea what the solution is here!

snowbunny Aug 17th 2006 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You might run into trouble using it at gas (petrol) stations and some other places where they request your zip (post) code as the PIN. No idea what the solution is here!

Depends on what software is in use. The Address Verification System only works with US cards, but foreign cards usually are flagged as "not participating" in AVS.

Try 00000 for the code if it asks.

fatbrit Aug 17th 2006 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Depends on what software is in use. The Address Verification System only works with US cards, but foreign cards usually are flagged as "not participating" in AVS.

Thx for info.

Strikes me as a totally stupid "PIN" system, anyway. I mean, if the cards nicked locally, chances are it'll be a local zip code anyway.

Kate2112 Aug 17th 2006 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Thx for info.

Strikes me as a totally stupid "PIN" system, anyway. I mean, if the cards nicked locally, chances are it'll be a local zip code anyway.

Yep totally ludicrous.

gsnichol Aug 17th 2006 11:05 pm

Sometimes I'm not even presented with a receipt to sign if it's a small amount. And I'm yet to see anyone actually CHECK the signature. Normally they swipe the card and hand it back, assuming you're not swiping it yourself on a machine.

gsnichol Aug 17th 2006 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny

You can go inside and pay in advance too. Saves faffing about with the machine.

sambuc Aug 17th 2006 11:34 pm

Pin number is only used on a Debit transaction. Credit transactions need a signature, which should be backed up by additional photo ID (driving licence).

We no longer sign our credit cards but write 'request additional ID' on the signature slip. If they don't ask for additional ID give them a rollocking.

In my experience UK bank accounts are not recognised in the US so your normal Debit transaction in the UK will be treated as a Credit Transaction over here.

There is also the ability in the US to do a transaction from your bank account with your debit card but ask them to process it as a credit transaction which just means it take a little longer to go through your account.

Hope all that makes sense, need to go and lie down in a dark room now. Is it 5 o'clock yet, need a beer :beer: