Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you miss the UK?

Do you miss the UK?

Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you miss the UK?

Originally Posted by tomelina
Welcome, I am new to this site myself although have been in the States 17 years. I am also in LA.where in LA are you? I still get homesick after all this time here however not so much recently given all the rain here in the last 2 weeks, a vague reminder of why I left the UK in the first place. I know where the English shops are in the LA area if you miss UK food, biccies, video's etc. just let me know
We are in Claremont, thanks for the offer on the shops we do have an English shop just down the road but its quite limited stock.
I know what you mean about the rain, having just returned from UK I think its colder here at the moment!
Do you know any decent pubs in east LA county?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
welcome to the site.

I think it's fair to say in response, that in comparing Huddersfield to LA. is like comparing apples to oranges.
Thanks for the welcome, I coudn't agree more!
Being a working class northern girl who used to work at the dole office I find myself cringing though when I tell people where I live now.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 1:15 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
We are in Claremont, thanks for the offer on the shops we do have an English shop just down the road but its quite limited stock.
I know what you mean about the rain, having just returned from UK I think its colder here at the moment!
Do you know any decent pubs in east LA county?
I am sorry I don't know of any pubs out there. I am in Santa Monica and we have an English pub 4 blocks from my house called 'The King's Head'.

http://www.yeoldekingshead.com/
worth a visit if you take the 10 west to nearly the beach

Also one called 'The Britannia' which isn't much cop. There is a couple of English shops with fairly good stock and an Irish pub also within short driving distance. LA has it's own free British newspaper called 'The British Weekly' which is given away at many English stores. Perhaps you can pick one up at the store you mention and it may have a local pub advertising in it. The other free British newspaper is 'The Union Jack'

http://www.ujnews.com/html/index.shtml

Perhaps they may have some local pubs advertising? These papers used to be my lifeline when I first came here for news from the UK however the news and sports is usually well out of date especially with the internet.Sorry I know many pubs on the Westside and in the S.F Valley and even Santa Ana(Orange County). Let me know if you are ever on the Westside and I will give you a few pubs and shops addresses.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 1:20 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Being a working class northern girl who used to work at the dole office
I think we have met.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Do you miss the UK?

Originally Posted by Manc
I think we have met.

I think we probably have!!!!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I am sorry I don't know of any pubs out there. I am in Santa Monica and we have an English pub 4 blocks from my house called 'The King's Head'.

Also one called 'The Britannia' which isn't much cop. There is a couple of English shops with fairly good stock and an Irish pub also within short driving distance. LA has it's own free British newspaper called 'The British Weekly' which is given away at many English stores. Perhaps you can pick one up at the store you mention and it may have a local pub advertising in it. The other free British newspaper is 'The Union Jack'

Perhaps they may have some local pubs advertising? These papers used to be my lifeline when I first came here for news from the UK however the news and sports is usually well out of date especially with the internet.Sorry I know many pubs on the Westside and in the S.F Valley and even Santa Ana(Orange County). Let me know if you are ever on the Westside and I will give you a few pubs and shops addresses.

thanks for all the info, we have been to Santa Monica quite a bit so on our next visit we shall definately have to drop into the Kings Head.
Talking of being home sick after 17 years a lady started to talk to me in disneyland (she heard my northern twang whilst standing in the queue to see mickey mouse) she had been living here for 36 years and said she was still homesick, she went home 3 times a year every year for her 'english fix'. She had also embarrassed herself on many occasion by talking to every person with an english accent she heard.
We also have a friend who has moved here from switzerland at the same time as us, although he is Danish and in his desperation to meet other danes he chased a car through the streets of LA that had a danish car sticker on the back and then when the car stopped he chased the the occupant on foot which happened to be a very attractive young lady and then dared to introduce himself, luckily for him she didn't call the police!!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:04 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all the info, we have been to Santa Monica quite a bit so on our next visit we shall definately have to drop into the Kings Head.
Talking of being home sick after 17 years a lady started to talk to me in disneyland (she heard my northern twang whilst standing in the queue to see mickey mouse) she had been living here for 36 years and said she was still homesick, she went home 3 times a year every year for her 'english fix'. She had also embarrassed herself on many occasion by talking to every person with an english accent she heard.
We also have a friend who has moved here from switzerland at the same time as us, although he is Danish and in his desperation to meet other danes he chased a car through the streets of LA that had a danish car sticker on the back and then when the car stopped he chased the the occupant on foot which happened to be a very attractive young lady and then dared to introduce himself, luckily for him she didn't call the police!!!!!
My girlfriend is Finnish and worked for a Dane, we are still friends and see her( the Dane) from time to time and various other Danes at mutual gatherings such as 4th July etc. E-mail me nest time youy are in Santa Monica and I will tell you the places to go
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:29 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Do you miss the UK?

i was a bit dissapointed when i found the kingshead - i had the sunday roast beef.... it was pretty poor to say the least - they got my wifes ploughmans ok - but u cant go too wrong with that!!

the coupld of british shops round the corner from the kingshead are quite a find!!! - was cool to find my old junk food - ambrosia rice pudding and angel delight!! (not mixed together though)

i found a small chain 'world market' that has assorted foods from around the world (and some cheap looking furniture?) but was so so dissapointed after buying some cadburys - that its either from south africa or australia and just doesnt taste the same - though it still beats hersheys crap - roll on feb when my family are coming over with some supplies

Ant
Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by antjen
i was a bit dissapointed when i found the kingshead - i had the sunday roast beef.... it was pretty poor to say the least - they got my wifes ploughmans ok - but u cant go too wrong with that!!

the coupld of british shops round the corner from the kingshead are quite a find!!! - was cool to find my old junk food - ambrosia rice pudding and angel delight!! (not mixed together though)

i found a small chain 'world market' that has assorted foods from around the world (and some cheap looking furniture?) but was so so dissapointed after buying some cadburys - that its either from south africa or australia and just doesnt taste the same - though it still beats hersheys crap - roll on feb when my family are coming over with some supplies

Ant
I think the King's Head is the closest thing to an English pub however I have been going there for years and know a lot of people there.Probably not everyone's cup of tea though and I never usually eat there as I am too busy drinking. They have a pretty decent Indian opposite called ' The gate of India' There is a shop on Wilshire/17th called 'The Continental Shop' ( not sure why as it should be the British Shop) They have the largest selection of food, sweets, DVD's etc. They also have a travel section and usaully offer very competitive rates on flights to the UK.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:37 pm
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I know what you mean about Chicago, I live an hours drive from there and I cannot visit enough. I think of all the US cities I've been Chicago is my favourite. My local hairdresser has never been..just cannot understand that.
LOL, I am still in the UK and my hairdresser lives in Chicago. I get my hair done when ever I am in town!!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:50 pm
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
When I met my ex-wife she was leaving out in Glen Ellyn (spelling might be off, but next to Wheaton), about an hour west of downtown Chicago. Some of her friends hardly ever (if ever) visited the downtown area; some were very nervous and just put off going downtown and others couldn't care less about Chicago. Of course loads did go downtown because they took the train to go to work at a job downtown.

Further out west out towards Rockville and further south I met several Illinois natives who despised Chicago, resented how much of the states money is sucked into Chicago compared to what is spent in their part of the state etc blah blah.

Then again as a kid I grew up in London and my parents took us everywhere - the neighbors were native Londoners and never took their kids anywhere ... not even to the museums like the Science Museum.
My better half lives out in the west burbs of Chicagoland. And he loves to take me into the city. Well anywhere really. It amazes me how distance is no object to him! I grew up in Essex but my parents were from London. And I grew up being taken all over London. I know it like the back of my hand. I lived there a couple of years even after leaving school, but returned to Essex.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 6:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Do you miss the UK?

Being a working class northern girl who used to work at the dole office I find myself cringing though when I tell people where I live now.

I worked at the dole office too before resigning to live overseas LOL! (Harlow ESJ in Essex). It was a fun place to work....where you encounter some very 'interesting' characters LOL!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

They have a pretty decent Indian opposite called ' The gate of India' ....

There is a fantastic Indian on 3rd Street, a few blocks east of The Beverly Center, it's called Electric Karma and it's the best Indian food I have ever eaten. We used to go every week when we lived in LA. Also just up the street at Farmers Market is a Costplus which has a fair range of UK goods (not the Cadburys though as its from South Africa!). Inside the Farmers Market, Monsieur Marcels or something like that has a good selection of biscuits etc.

For those of you in the Bay Area the Cost Plus off the 101N around Corte Madera/San Rafael has a huge selection of UK stuff and also Mollie Stones in Sausalito has a good choice too. Safeway in Mill Valley has some biscuits, Highland Spring water, some Welsh water and various other goodies on it's shelves!

Finally BevMo in San Rafael has a whole bunch of beers from the UK - which I avoid and head straight for the Staropramen!!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 6:56 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

There are things I miss about the UK, from major quality-of-life issues such as the NHS (a particularly sore point at the moment, as my wife has just come out of a hospital where the standard of care was as bad as the worst the NHS has to offer, but they charge a ****ing fortune for it) and half-decent public transport to little things like Ribena and Have I Got News For You.

Conversely, there are things I'd miss if I moved back - the sense of space, the standards of service in shops and restaurants and so on. I guess nowhere is perfect, so you just have to make the best of it.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 7:02 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=immunise]There is a fantastic Indian on 3rd Street, a few blocks east of The Beverly Center, it's called Electric Karma and it's the best Indian food I have ever eaten. We used to go every week when we lived in LA.

Thanks for the tip.
A decent Indian is hard to find here as most seem to cater to US palate( obviously) and are very mild compared to the standard UK curry.
Why is Electric Karma so good? Can you expound a little?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.