Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you miss the UK?

Do you miss the UK?

Old Jan 6th 2005, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you miss the UK?

Lots of friends and relatives (from here and the UK) ask me if I miss the UK and am planning to go back.
The two main things I miss are my two other kids (one lives here) and going to Craven Cottage on a wet Saturday afternoon (or when Sky decide they play !)
I get the occasional yearning but nothing major, yet !!
Being a smoker, a drinker and a driver (not at the same time) I don't think i caould afford to go back tom live. How I afforded those three things when I lived there is surprising although i did earn a lot more money and suppose it wasn't so noticeable.
I also think that there are so many places to visit here, that the need to go back to London is overidden (except of course CC !)
Reading some of the other posts, I anticipate my attitude changing at some stage.
Especially of course if Fulham get to the Cup Final and when my daughter graduates (not in that order of course)
Old Jan 6th 2005, 5:54 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
<snip> all are very interested but all say.."WHEN you get here, come and meet us"
A bit chicken and egg
No, that's all chicken, no egg. It means 'not interested'. Tell them you'll get there if they're serious about offering you a job.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:20 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

After a few months in the USA I missed a few things .... popping down the local for a swift half ...... things like that ....
Now I am back in the UK I miss the USA ... go figure ...
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:35 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Did you go back then?
You'e right, I need to do it now before its to late...... Ive applied for a few jobs in my line of work, all are very interested but all say.."WHEN you get here, come and meet us"
A bit chicken and egg
Thanks
Rob

Going back October. I'd leave sooner but thats when all here will be settled. Just tell them 'Right. will be there (?). Look forward to working for your company!' Seriously, If you are determined there is work to be found. What sort of work are you in?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:40 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
After a few months in the USA I missed a few things .... popping down the local for a swift half ...... things like that ....
Now I am back in the UK I miss the USA ... go figure ...
I'm with you on this one, it's case of the grass is always greener! All in all I have to say that I don't miss the U.K that much as yet..... but I'm still in the early days. The thing I find difficult is that my husband is US Military and we are on a 3 year controlled tour so the freedom of going home for good has been taken away somewhat.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:57 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I know what you mean about Chicago, I live an hours drive from there and I cannot visit enough. I think of all the US cities I've been Chicago is my favourite. My local hairdresser has never been..just cannot understand that.
When I met my ex-wife she was leaving out in Glen Ellyn (spelling might be off, but next to Wheaton), about an hour west of downtown Chicago. Some of her friends hardly ever (if ever) visited the downtown area; some were very nervous and just put off going downtown and others couldn't care less about Chicago. Of course loads did go downtown because they took the train to go to work at a job downtown.

Further out west out towards Rockville and further south I met several Illinois natives who despised Chicago, resented how much of the states money is sucked into Chicago compared to what is spent in their part of the state etc blah blah.

Then again as a kid I grew up in London and my parents took us everywhere - the neighbors were native Londoners and never took their kids anywhere ... not even to the museums like the Science Museum.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:04 pm
'ey up flower

englishrosebud will become famous soon enough

Only been here for 6 months, but find that homesickness comes and goes in waves. I've been away from England for 2 1/2 years in total, and didn't feel homesick while I was travelling. I think because it never felt permenant. Now I'm here, married to a USC, and on the immigration rollercoaster, reality has sent in that I'm choosing to live here and not over there, and it just needs to sink in.

However, email is a wonderful thing, and thank god for digital cameras. My local British goodies shop keeps me stocked up on HP sauce, hob nobs and Ambrosia devon custard...which is nice. I dont think anyone could miss the weather in Blighty, (especially living in Florida), and like everyone else says it's friends and family that I miss most. Oh...and pub culture.

I went home for month in 2003, the first 2 weeks were great catching up with everyone, telling travel stories and sharing photos, but the last 2 weeks were wierd. Everything was samey and a bit dull actually, and I have to remember that when I have homesick pangs. My new exiting life is here, together with my wonderful new husband....so I guess that's my answer.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

fetchfelix is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone else said - not one bit. Been in the USA since 1993, everytime I go to the Uk for a visit, the more I miss the USA. 25years in the UK was enough for me! (Wife misses it daily however)
Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:51 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fetchfelix
As someone else said - not one bit. Been in the USA since 1993, everytime I go to the Uk for a visit, the more I miss the USA. 25years in the UK was enough for me! (Wife misses it daily however)
Hi fetch, whereabouts in Maryland are you?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:57 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
Going back October. I'd leave sooner but thats when all here will be settled. Just tell them 'Right. will be there (?). Look forward to working for your company!' Seriously, If you are determined there is work to be found. What sort of work are you in?
Thanks, I spent the afternoon sending out my CV (resume) and covering letters and registering on UK job sites.

I am in the Audio Visual production business, conventions, trade shows (fairs) etc. based in Atlanta but get sent all over.
Rob
Old Jan 6th 2005, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

fetchfelix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robskatie
Hi fetch, whereabouts in Maryland are you?
Linthicum, MD Right next to BWI
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

MattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by king.bob
As yet I do not. I have been here 2 1/2 years and I'm still waiting for the yearning to go back and visit.
Not much. But my American wife desperately wants to move to Scotland so if an opportunity came up there we'd move.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do you miss the UK?

Well this is my first posting, good to see so many different opinions on living in the US.Thought I missed England until I went home for Christmas but now I'm back I realise I just miss the people. Moved to L.A from Huddersfield six months ago and call me shallow but I can't imagine going back to small houses, small cars etc etc (having a swimming pool in the back garden also helps)
Culture shock hit me like a ton of bricks after about three months and I just wanted to run home to my mum but I'm hoping the worst is over but reading some of the postings maybe not!
Still havn't got used to everyone being so damn nice all the time and the fact that when you ring someone up to come and do something for you they actually come and do it, on time and very well!
Respect to anyone who comes and does this on their own, our move was backed up my husbands company so I think we've had it pretty easy.
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that when talking to Americans they all have a cousin that lives in London?!!!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:18 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to the site.

I think it's fair to say in response, that in comparing Huddersfield to LA. is like comparing apples to oranges.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:27 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Well this is my first posting, good to see so many different opinions on living in the US.Thought I missed England until I went home for Christmas but now I'm back I realise I just miss the people. Moved to L.A from Huddersfield six months ago and call me shallow but I can't imagine going back to small houses, small cars etc etc (having a swimming pool in the back garden also helps)
Culture shock hit me like a ton of bricks after about three months and I just wanted to run home to my mum but I'm hoping the worst is over but reading some of the postings maybe not!
Still havn't got used to everyone being so damn nice all the time and the fact that when you ring someone up to come and do something for you they actually come and do it, on time and very well!
Respect to anyone who comes and does this on their own, our move was backed up my husbands company so I think we've had it pretty easy.
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that when talking to Americans they all have a cousin that lives in London?!!!!!!
Welcome, I am new to this site myself although have been in the States 17 years. I am also in LA.where in LA are you? I still get homesick after all this time here however not so much recently given all the rain here in the last 2 weeks, a vague reminder of why I left the UK in the first place. I know where the English shops are in the LA area if you miss UK food, biccies, video's etc. just let me know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.