Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you miss the UK?

Do you miss the UK?

Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:21 pm
Chicago via London

king.bob is on a distinguished road
Default Do you miss the UK?

As yet I do not. I have been here 2 1/2 years and I'm still waiting for the yearning to go back and visit.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you miss the UK?

Originally Posted by king.bob
As yet I do not. I have been here 2 1/2 years and I'm still waiting for the yearning to go back and visit.
I didn't miss it for a long time and vowed I'd NEVER live there again. I've been here for almost 9 1/2 years now and starting about 3 or so years ago I started to REALLY miss it and now am trying to decide how feasible it would be to move back. It's really weird now I kind of feel in limbo because I'm so Americanized too ... I don't quite feel perfectly at home in either the UK or the US. Where were you from in the UK?
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:53 pm
Franklin

When I first moved to Chicago I was at a dead loss, missed British accents like crazy. I liked my new American friends and work mates, but not hearing a real live British accent sort of troubled me. It just seemed too strange. But I fell in love with living in Chicago, particularly near the lakefront and then downtown. Chicago is such a great city that it soon became my hometown. Later I moved to the DC metro area (I live about 3 miles west of the Whitehouse and those lovely Smithsonian museums on The Mall), and I missed Chicago more than the UK! My folks who visited me miss Chicago too.

Old Jan 5th 2005, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Not one bit.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to have the yearning. Going back for a visit is like visiting the grand kids, when you've had enough you are gone. Love the weather here in SC and being able to get to the beach and mountains easily. Compared to the UK driving here is a pleasure, wel here in SC it is.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 6:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I miss living in the city.
be it Manchester, Pittsburgh wherever.

it's like the stone age sometimes up here.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Yes....very much so.

When I was in Costco yesterday I even bought a Dorling Kindersley Travel Guide of Great Britain (I should stay away from Costco, too many impulse buys LOL!)

Then again, I also miss Singapore.

I doubt that I'd miss New Jersey/New York if we moved away from here...
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
When I first moved to Chicago I was at a dead loss, missed British accents like crazy. I liked my new American friends and work mates, but not hearing a real live British accent sort of troubled me. It just seemed too strange. But I fell in love with living in Chicago, particularly near the lakefront and then downtown. Chicago is such a great city that it soon became my hometown. Later I moved to the DC metro area (I live about 3 miles west of the Whitehouse and those lovely Smithsonian museums on The Mall), and I missed Chicago more than the UK! My folks who visited me miss Chicago too.
I know what you mean about Chicago, I live an hours drive from there and I cannot visit enough. I think of all the US cities I've been Chicago is my favourite. My local hairdresser has never been..just cannot understand that.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I am missing England less and less which I am amazed about as I was really homesick when I first arrived. I just wish I lived in a better place really, dont get me wrong its very nice here and spacious but very insular. The Carolina's sound great.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I supposed it depends why you left.

I left to move here to be with my USC husband. I have been here just over 3 years. I do go back frequently. In 2004 I made it to Britain 5 times.

I do get a little homesick from time to time, and then a quick weekend in Britain snaps me out of that thought! It is more the people I miss than the country.

I do enjoy "showing" my country to my husband, and it prompts me to go places I have never been.

The longer I am here, the less likely I think I am to ever go back. Most of the time I have a sense of relief when I am sitting on the tarmac at Heathrow waiting to take off - as I can't wait to get "home."

This of course makes me feel guilty, that I have left my parents, but you have to live your life don't you?!

Additionally - I left the UK at 22, and went from being a student to living and working in the US - I don't think I know how to be an adult in the UK, however strange that sounds. But in the US, I can hold down a good job, have a wonderful marriage and just bought my first home. I guess the US has been good to me!!!

Despite not wanting to move back, I think I will always visit frequently. I know a lot of people here barely visit at all.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

doodle is on a distinguished road

Dont miss it at all, but will always love England because it was were I was born and made me the person who I am. Really homesick for the first 4 years, been here for nearly 7 now. The kids are teenagers and eldest going off to college this year! I now call it home and love it. Looks like my future son-in-laws / grandchildren will be Americans so this is where my future lies. Look forward to being an American citizen .
Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:08 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Britchicknyc, sounds like we were in kind of similar situations! Even though I was born in Germany I moved to the US (with my parents) when I was 11, so I never really knew Germany as an adult. So I grew up in the US and this is pretty much where I feel home. HOWEVER, I moved to London to go to Uni for 3 years and now that I moved back to the US to be with my USC husband we both miss London bunches. I just love the history, the culture, the things to do. Atlanta is nothing like London, so I yearn to go back a lot!!

(PS Though at the same time when I lived in London I yearned to come back to the US)
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I know what you mean about Chicago, I live an hours drive from there and I cannot visit enough. I think of all the US cities I've been Chicago is my favourite. My local hairdresser has never been..just cannot understand that.

Of course your hairdresser doesn't go there. Chicago was built exclusively for British tourists, no self respecting American would be caught dead in Chicago.

PS: RELAX!!! I'm only joking.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Of course your hairdresser doesn't go there. Chicago was built exclusively for British tourists, no self respecting American would be caught dead in Chicago.

PS: RELAX!!! I'm only joking.

I thought that was Florida
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I thought that was Florida

That crack about Florida better be a joke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.