Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which do you miss most, British food or British TV?

Which do you miss most, British food or British TV?

Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which do you miss most, British food or British TV?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
But which do you miss most her hotpots or her appearances on TV?
I only very rarely watch "Corrie" but when I was younger I did watch some of the episodes in which Betty Turpin (Driver) pulled pints and spoke her mind in no half measures - almost always to people who deserved the sharp end of her tongue.

As for hotpots - I can have one of those at any time I like when I visit my Mum as she has one of Betty Turpin's "Rovers Return" recipe books which includes "Betty's Hotpot"....she always watches "Corrie", which is the world's longest running TV soap ("The Archers" is the world's longest running radio soap). I've never yet asked her to make one anyway, but I may do when I see her sometime next week.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to the t'Internet we can get most TV.

What I'm really missing is...
  • A proper pasty.
  • Ham that hasn't had a sh*t load of salt, caramel, water and other stuff added to it.
  • A really good cheddar cheese, ditto double gloucester & red leicester.
  • Bread that's not too sweetened, and/or salted, that toasts really nicely.
  • Sausages that stay together when you look at them(!)
  • Back bacon - unsmoked, unsalted(ish)
  • Squash (drink) - though this week discovered the local Fresh n Easy store stocks Robinson's for under $4
  • Biscuits that are, well, biscuits and not scones in disguise - e.g. Rich Tea
  • White grenache wine - California is just a few hours away by car, where they produce some really good ones, and yet nobody seems to have heard of it here!
  • Proper fish & chips - the Cod Father (N Phoenix) is just a little too far away most of the time...

And lastly, I really miss England being able to play decent rugby (Wales - you were robbed!!!), though the evidence is pretty strong that it's got little to do with us being out here!!!

However, there's been plenty of new eating experiences to enjoy out here which makes up for most of it (bar the pasty & the ham - and the wine!)
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

However, there's been plenty of new eating experiences to enjoy out here which makes up for most of it (bar the pasty & the ham - and the wine!)
And the bacon....