Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you miss anything about Britain?

Do you miss anything about Britain?

Old Nov 14th 2003, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of
Default Re: Britain

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Btw has anybody got any idea which is the oldest pub in Britain? We went to 'Ye Olde Trip to Jerusulem' in Nottingham recently which claims it dates back to 1189. BUT it turns out it was the brewery for Nottingham Castle then, not actually an inn, until later.
That one is listed but so is Old Ferry Boat in in St Ives, Cambridgeshire "The Ferry Boat has a strong claim to be the oldest inn in Britain with some evidence that it dates back to A.D. 560"
Old Nov 14th 2003, 3:05 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Britain

Beautiful pub, Karen, no wonder you miss it!
Btw has anybody got any idea which is the oldest pub in Britain? We went to 'Ye Olde Trip to Jerusulem' in Nottingham recently which claims it dates back to 1189. BUT it turns out it was the brewery for Nottingham Castle then, not actually an inn, until later.

Anyone else noticed how prudish Americans can be about dirty jokes? Fortunately by hubby loves a good dirty joke, but you cannot tell his mom and sister rude jokes as they just pull a face and admonish you. My dear old mum, on the other hand (who is a few years older than the MIL), loves a good blue joke!
Yep, I have. We were watching "Coupling" the other night. My b-i-l couldn't decide whether to laugh or not... he was actually a little puzzled and I think surprised!! My hubby on the other hand, is getting used to it being around us and my family when we visit or they visit us and watching British comedy with us ...
Old Nov 14th 2003, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sols is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you miss anything about Britain?

Apart from friends and family, of course!

Fish 'n Chips
Mushy Peas
A decent Chinese Chicken CURRY!!! (The stuff here is good, but you don't get any sauce! )Mmmmm...me wants the brown stuff!
Uncut TV Shows
Newspapers
Decent Bog Roll ( The stuff you don't have to fold 10 times, or your finger goes through..lol)
Sausage Rolls
CHOCOLATE!!!!
Walkers Crisps
Yorkshire Pud
Instant Coffee
HP Fruity Sauce ( Always good on a bacon butty!) with freshly baked bread of course lol.
Good old British Comedies.
Walking to the shop.
Hopping on a bus.
Neighbours who invite you in for a cuppa...lol.

Apart from that, I'm having a great time and I love it here in the U.S!!
Old Nov 14th 2003, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

adamfdz is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from friends and family, of course!

I agree with everything that has been said so far. Interesting to note that the US seems to have a higher overall quality of living perception, but the UK has the higher quality of life perception. Me personally:
pavements to walk on,
real beer that doesn't taste like piss,
Chicken tikka masala,
All the pomp and pagentry we are so good at. The Americans have no equivalent of the trooping of the colour, as warmongery as they are,
Not being bombarded with junk mail crap and phone marketers-should stop soonish as i'm on the do not call list,
parks,
trains,
being able to take the bus,
the BBC-god how i miss it,
pubs,
pubs,
pubs,
the slower, more civilised way of life,
and....NO GUNS, i ****ing hate them.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 5:47 pm
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future
Default pavements

PAVEMENTS!!!!!!! god why arent there any pavements...??? I like to walk (a rarity where I live) down to the local store...but doing so is taking my life in my hands as there arent any bloody pavements......cant take a bus there as there arent any....well no sorry theres one that appears every full moon and Im not sure where it goes! ....ahhh buses....how I miss them!!
Poppy
Old Nov 14th 2003, 5:54 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Colored toilet roll, how are you supposed to color coordinate your bathroom!
Old Nov 14th 2003, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by adamfdz
Not being bombarded with junk mail crap and phone marketers-should stop soonish as i'm on the do not call list,
From what I hear now the do not call list has been implemented there is supposed to be an increase in door to door sales

I also miss the uncut TV... how come it is fine to see someone ripped to shreads several times over but god forbid you should see some bare skin or the F word be used.

If I did not get parcels of sweeties sent from home (Ifeel like a refugee waiting for my food parcels ) I would miss real chocolate. Mmmmm cadbury's

And why are real fresh cream cakes so rare stateside?

Ash
Old Nov 14th 2003, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
LOL that is so true ... but at least the white goes with everything.

Ash
Old Nov 14th 2003, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Very funny! I would like to get toilet paper that you don't have to spend an hour doing advanced origami before you can use it. I don't get it - how are they doing it? Don't they wipe their arses?
And once I'm complaining - is there a law in this country to put sand in the chocolate?
Old Nov 14th 2003, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Sols is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bookworm
Very funny! I would like to get toilet paper that you don't have to spend an hour doing advanced origami before you can use it. I don't get it - how are they doing it? Don't they wipe their arses?
And once I'm complaining - is there a law in this country to put sand in the chocolate?

LOL...another thing. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that ALL the friggin' chocolate here has peanuts in it??? Where's the variety?
Old Nov 14th 2003, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick

My understanding is that colored toilet rolls are no longer used in the US because the dyes used to color the rolls can be poisonous, especially to small children.