Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you miss anything about Britain?

Do you miss anything about Britain?

Old Jun 28th 2003, 2:42 am
Just Joined

bridget98usa is an unknown quantity at this point

After many years in the US I still miss British Culture and etiquette!
Old Jun 28th 2003, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bridget98usa

ditto- actually I think I miss it more now 11 years down the track, than when everything was new and an adventure.
The British sense of humour.
Fair time off- remember when we had 5 weeks a year and all bank holidays? sigh.
Decent roads (and drivers!!)
Indian Restaurants - and decent curry!!!
Edible Chinese food.
Marks and Sparks.
Sainsburys.
Free medical.
Neighbours who at least know your name.
Bread and good cheese (crackerbarrel Vermont isn't bad).
The BBC. Okay we get Beeb America... better than nothing.
It used to be good wine..but they've improved a bit lately and stocking some European wines in local supermarkets.
Good fruit and veg (not impressed at all with what we get here in FL).
Walking places.
I get a regular supply of teabags, oxo cubes etc (one advantage of living in FL, everybody you know - and many you don't- come to visit, and they all know what to bring out lol.
At least we can make a lot of stuff, like yorkshires, sausage rolls, and so on.
Better stop at that, otherwise I'll be scouring the travel sites for cheap flights next...and I can't go home again until October
Old Jun 28th 2003, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Robinsons Orange. Tang is a poor substitute.
Old Jun 28th 2003, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Do you miss anything about Britain?

Originally posted by Patrick
Football

Unbiased News

Adverts that don't shout at you or make you a nervous wreck

Polite drivers and inpolite shop assistants

Not getting emails telling me how to make my penis bigger (how do they know anyway!)

Not carrying ID

Golden Nuggets

People who understand Irony and Sarcasm as it is really meant to be understood

beer that gets you drunk rather than makes you want go to the toilet

colour co-ordinated toilet paper

Not reading that every crime committed in your town was done using a gun

Not knowing where the prostitutes hang out and how many times they are arrested in a week

Newspapers that have no concept that they should be reporting the news and show women with large tits

Carrying on from that one - nudity on the television and swearing for that matter

Crunchies

Tizer

Irn Bru

Dandilion and Burdock

Calling Sprite and 7 up lemonade

If I think of some more I will let you know

Patrick
Old Jun 28th 2003, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Maybe someone could come up with a few nice things about living in the US ! It might help us overcome the homesickness!
Old Jun 29th 2003, 2:44 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe someone could come up with a few nice things about living in the US ! It might help us overcome the homesickness!

We are not homesick, we just miss certain stuff. We like the US or we wouldn't be living here but it is our right as free people (well as free US government wants us to be which isn't as free as you would like to beleive) to say what we like, don't like, miss about our home country. The US is a great place but we where all brought up on BBC news (which you don't realise how good it is until you move away), jaffa cakes, tizer, not carrying ID, football ......(add what you want to the list) and it is understandable that we have an affinitity with these things (no matter where we are in the world) - its in us as much as our dislike for the french (**** off America - we had that one a thousand years before your freedom fries), our big ears and bad teeth.

Somewhere in this huge country there is a tiny 50x100 plot (with automatic garage door openers) that will be forever England!

Patrick
Old Jun 29th 2003, 6:17 am
Just Joined

We are not homesick, we just miss certain stuff. We like the US or we wouldn't be living here but it is our right as free people (well as free US government wants us to be which isn't as free as you would like to beleive) to say what we like, don't like, miss about our home country. The US is a great place but we where all brought up on BBC news (which you don't realise how good it is until you move away), jaffa cakes, tizer, not carrying ID, football ......(add what you want to the list) and it is understandable that we have an affinitity with these things (no matter where we are in the world) - its in us as much as our dislike for the french (**** off America - we had that one a thousand years before your freedom fries), our big ears and bad teeth.

Somewhere in this huge country there is a tiny 50x100 plot (with automatic garage door openers) that will be forever England!

Patrick

Thank you Patrick, I totally share all your sentiments, I have spent 20 years missing the things you miss. My living room book shelf is full of British Comedy Films! Currently I am watching Wimbledon, I feel little pangs of sadness as I see live pictures from home! I was just feeling a little sorry for USA!
Old Jun 29th 2003, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

its in us as much as our dislike for the french (**** off America - we had that one a thousand years before your freedom fries),
Patrick
I would rather go to war with the frogs by our side than the yanks..after all an army that does not fire a shot cannot kill our lads with ' friendly fire '

Cheers
Old Jul 1st 2003, 8:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I find that most of the things I like about the US (apart from my job - no, really!) relate to quality of "living" - cost of living, nice house, easy availability of everything (shops open 24-7-365). On the other hand, most of the things I miss about the U.K. are quality of "life" - Brits' ability to not take themselves too seriously (though that seems to be changing), lots of great places to walk the dog, just a more "comfortable" way of behaving around other people. There are a Brit couple here working at the same place as me, and when we get together it's just a more relaxed atmosphere than when I'm hanging out with my US friends.

Hard to explain; I agree totally with people who say the standard of living in the US is better, weather is fantastic, etc., but I still prefer "life" in the U.K. to "living" in the US (that's from 20 years' experience here, so I've had lots of time to think about it).
Old Jul 1st 2003, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

hhmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

The things I miss are

Pie and mash
Jellied eels
sky sports
millwall football club
TV programs with tits
BBC TV
McVities choccy biscuits
british newspapers (the mail)
M+S clothes
cheap air fares
Playing football on Sunday mornings

Originally posted by Taffyles
ditto- actually I think I miss it more now 11 years down the track, than when everything was new and an adventure.
The British sense of humour.
Fair time off- remember when we had 5 weeks a year and all bank holidays? sigh.
Decent roads (and drivers!!)
Indian Restaurants - and decent curry!!!
Edible Chinese food.
Marks and Sparks.
Sainsburys.
Free medical.
Neighbours who at least know your name.
Bread and good cheese (crackerbarrel Vermont isn't bad).
The BBC. Okay we get Beeb America... better than nothing.
It used to be good wine..but they've improved a bit lately and stocking some European wines in local supermarkets.
Good fruit and veg (not impressed at all with what we get here in FL).
Walking places.
I get a regular supply of teabags, oxo cubes etc (one advantage of living in FL, everybody you know - and many you don't- come to visit, and they all know what to bring out lol.
At least we can make a lot of stuff, like yorkshires, sausage rolls, and so on.
Better stop at that, otherwise I'll be scouring the travel sites for cheap flights next...and I can't go home again until October
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:07 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dunroving
I find that most of the things I like about the US (apart from my job - no, really!) relate to quality of "living" - cost of living, nice house, easy availability of everything (shops open 24-7-365). On the other hand, most of the things I miss about the U.K. are quality of "life" - Brits' ability to not take themselves too seriously (though that seems to be changing), lots of great places to walk the dog, just a more "comfortable" way of behaving around other people. There are a Brit couple here working at the same place as me, and when we get together it's just a more relaxed atmosphere than when I'm hanging out with my US friends.

Hard to explain; I agree totally with people who say the standard of living in the US is better, weather is fantastic, etc., but I still prefer "life" in the U.K. to "living" in the US (that's from 20 years' experience here, so I've had lots of time to think about it).
Couldnt agree more with your sentiments, thanks for some honesty at last on here, from someone who knows what there talking about as do frank(NYC) and ray(Tampa).

Cheers - Mark
Old Jul 9th 2003, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Jammy Dodger is an unknown quantity at this point

And how about bread??? I cannot find any decent bread over here, i mean, it was a staple of my diet! Small dry lightweight stuff seems to be the norm here - I hate it.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

dolydd is an unknown quantity at this point

Things I miss

Bread that goes stale after a few days
Bitter
The assumption that when you ask for tea it will be hot and with milk and sugar
Irn Bru
A normal size bag of crisps, not the huge family bags that I always end up finishing
Friends
Sarcasim
Newspapers, when people visit they know to bring a few days of papers with them.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:30 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Gwyneth Paltrow was interviewed in an article in the most recent "Hello! magazine" and she says that what she likes about life in England (apart from being around Chris Martin I suppose) is that people find the time to hang out with friends over cocktails of an evening, take time to stroll in the park as opposed to life in America where all people ever do is "chase the mighty dollar" (those are my words btw but you get my drift) This is so true. And then it's one mad rush to cram all your recreation into two weeks of vacation. Being from a country where we have a more relaxed life style, I can relate to that....

Originally posted by dunroving

Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:46 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Apart from most of the other things people have mentioned on here..... being able to walk. Back in England I had a small shopping centre within about 50 yards of my house, half a dozen pubs and the train station into town..... All those places to walk to and then stagger back from!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.