British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do you miss anything about Britain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-miss-anything-about-britain-162188/)

MrsLondon Jun 27th 2003 2:52 pm

Do you miss anything about Britain?

Apart from friends and family, of course! :)

Patrick Jun 27th 2003 4:07 pm

Re: Do you miss anything about Britain?

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Football

Unbiased News

Adverts that don't shout at you or make you a nervous wreck

Polite drivers and inpolite shop assistants

Not getting emails telling me how to make my penis bigger (how do they know anyway!)

Not carrying ID

Golden Nuggets

People who understand Irony and Sarcasm as it is really meant to be understood

beer that gets you drunk rather than makes you want go to the toilet

colour co-ordinated toilet paper

Not reading that every crime committed in your town was done using a gun

Not knowing where the prostitutes hang out and how many times they are arrested in a week

Newspapers that have no concept that they should be reporting the news and show women with large tits

Carrying on from that one - nudity on the television and swearing for that matter

Crunchies

Tizer

Irn Bru

Dandilion and Burdock

Calling Sprite and 7 up lemonade

If I think of some more I will let you know

Patrick

Patrick Jun 27th 2003 4:13 pm

I forgot Cricket!!!!!

And until yesterday I could of said Sodomy, but its legal here now so when I say "well bugger me with a cricket bat" someone can indeed bugger me with the mentioned implement!

Patrick (walking slightly John Wayne like!)

NC Penguin Jun 27th 2003 4:29 pm

Just a thought...

Sooner or later with a thread like this, some members and other posters will come out with, "if you don't like (so) much about the US, why don't you leave?" kind of comment.

NC Penguin

Ranjini Jun 27th 2003 5:11 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Just a thought...
Sooner or later with a thread like this, some members and other posters will come out with, "if you don't like (so) much about the US, why don't you leave?" kind of comment.
NC Penguin
You can discuss what you miss most about Britain, I promise not to say a word ;) Besides, just imagine the fun when Patrick jumps in to give them a piece of his mind :rolleyes: He was only just complaining how much he missed the abuse. He probably meant he misses the opportunity to abuse ;) Frank is probably off fishing and Pulaski doing whatever it is they do in Florida...

Vicky88 Jun 27th 2003 5:38 pm

Only things I really miss are

(1) Marks & Spencer's double pack of chocolate eclairs. Always ate the second so my husband wouldn't know I had eaten the first.

(2) Walkers crisps, Prawn Cocktail or Worstershire flavour. I always make a point of having some at the airport before I come back.

Other than that, not much really. Though I have to say the days I am feeling in a pissy mood, I would much rather be served by an insolent, unhelpful UK shop assistant rather than the chirpy "how are you" Californian variety.

mark19964 Jun 27th 2003 6:57 pm

You all need to come back for a holiday and remind yourselves !!

you forgot to mention the asylum seekers roaming the streets of Harrow and other london boroughs spitting or mugging you if you got no change, or the rancid 2.5 tonnes of bleached meat going to markets all around london they discovered in Poplar last week.

Hey but at least its a nice white colour

Chicken never tasted so good - yummy.

regards - Mark

MrsLondon Jun 27th 2003 7:39 pm

Originally posted by mark19964
You all need to come back for a holiday and remind yourselves !!

you forgot to mention the asylum seekers roaming the streets of Harrow and other london boroughs spitting or mugging you if you got no change, or the rancid 2.5 tonnes of bleached meat going to markets all around london they discovered in Poplar last week.

Hey but at least its a nice white colour

Chicken never tasted so good - yummy.

regards - Mark
I didn't bat an eyelid about the rancid meat, I'm a vegetarian!

MrsLondon Jun 27th 2003 7:41 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
Football

Unbiased News

Adverts that don't shout at you or make you a nervous wreck

Polite drivers and inpolite shop assistants

Not getting emails telling me how to make my penis bigger (how do they know anyway!)

Not carrying ID

Golden Nuggets

People who understand Irony and Sarcasm as it is really meant to be understood

beer that gets you drunk rather than makes you want go to the toilet

colour co-ordinated toilet paper

Not reading that every crime committed in your town was done using a gun

Not knowing where the prostitutes hang out and how many times they are arrested in a week

Newspapers that have no concept that they should be reporting the news and show women with large tits

Carrying on from that one - nudity on the television and swearing for that matter

Crunchies

Tizer

Irn Bru

Dandilion and Burdock

Calling Sprite and 7 up lemonade

If I think of some more I will let you know

Patrick
Sorry but we DO get the penis enlargement e-mails in Britain! I get them all the time and I was female last time I looked, so they couldn't enlarge mine, they'd have to give me one from scratch!

MrsLondon Jun 27th 2003 7:45 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Just a thought...

NC Penguin
Anyone who says anything like that should realize that people emigrate for a lot of reasons, and a common one is to be with the one you love. If you do so it is because you love the person, not the country. It's very simplistic to say 'go back home then.' One half of a USC/foreign citizen couple has to move, so whatever happens one of them is going to miss some things about home. Unless you compromise and live in the middle of the Atlantic on a raft or something!

Harry Jun 27th 2003 8:20 pm

Yorkshire tea!!!!! I can get it here as an import, but at $8 for 80 tea bags it seems like too much just for my morning cuppa. Maybe I'm just a tight-ass!?

Rowntrees fruit gums, fruit pastilles and wine gums.

That's really all I can think of that I miss after living here for 14 months.

-Harry

NC Penguin Jun 27th 2003 8:54 pm

Originally posted by Harry
Yorkshire tea!!!!! I can get it here as an import, but at $8 for 80 tea bags it seems like too much just for my morning cuppa. Maybe I'm just a tight-ass!?

Rowntrees fruit gums, fruit pastilles and wine gums.

That's really all I can think of that I miss after living here for 14 months.

-Harry
Not British but related to the above message, I miss being able to buy reasonably priced redbush/rooibosch (sp?) tea bags. I've found them in the US but they're nearly $8 for 35! I drink the unalduterated (organic) version, not the blended versions I've seen in the US.

I drink black tea very occasionally and coffee even less often than that...

NC Penguin

robclews Jun 27th 2003 9:24 pm

The traditional village Pub, and a game of darts.

Decent roads.

Speeding.

My old mums Sunday Roast.

Eccles Cakes.

Red Leicester Cheese.

Decent Mobile Phone coverage

snorkmaiden Jun 27th 2003 10:36 pm

I miss the news. I find myself watching the news here and wondering when they are actually going to get to the news part, it's like an extended dramatisation with nothing factual. Or they give you a headline but somehow manage not to tell you the story.

In fact to be honest I miss British television in general.

I miss our wonderful local chinese take away in Bristol, the New Happy Palace on Filton Avenue. Sweet and Sour chicken to die for. We have tried a few in Garland but not found one quite as good, and it's a different style.

Food and Televsion - you can tell I live an entertaining life.

I also miss the feeling I had of my children being safe whilst in school. This may sound odd, what I mean is, my eldest daughter is going to summer school currently as they wouldn't give her the full quota of credits available as she transferred in from another school. Despite the fact she was a year ahead in England - anyway that is another story, so this week in summer school the police came in with sniffer dogs to search the kids bags, earlier in the week a boy came in with his hand bandaged after having been shot and a police man guards the entrance as they arrive and leave.

It troubles me that although my daugher doesn't mix with anyone I would consider to be in a bad crowd, I worry that one day she might just happen to be standing next to someone who is, when a rival gang decide to take a pop at him or her. Whilst I may be over-reacting, I admit after three months here I am still acclimatising. The kids at her old school didn't have as much access to guns and drugs as they seem to here.

Also, I lived in Stirling, Scotland at the time of the Dunblane Massacre, I was actually looking after the local aerobics class creche on that Wednesday morning. An old lady having just heard the breaking news on the radio came in and informed me of the situation. I then had to go in and break this news to the women in the class, some of whom had children in the school. The image of the women running and screaming to find out if their children were ok has stayed with me as did all the horror of that day.

I was reassured following that dreadful tragedy, that schools in the UK got extra security. You could not get into my childrens schools in Bristol during the day. You had to be seen and buzzed in. Given that here, people are allowed fire arms, I would feel more secure if you couldn't just walk into the local school with nothing more than the secretaries to stop you.

I know, I know, over protective mother syndrome maybe. But it is something I miss. I totally agree before anyone starts that you could easily get your self shot in some parts of Bristol. It's just that, that level of violence didn't have as much impact on the schools.

I don't miss the rain, that we had nearly all of last summer though. Neither do I miss the more expensive clothes, cars etc.

I guess there is something I miss about every place I have lived in, a lot of it is to do with happy memories, people and nostalgia.

That said I would be a much happier girl if they took the yack waxy stuff out of the choccy here and kept it in the fridge instead. How I miss the cadbury twirl.

:)

Jan Alaska Jun 27th 2003 11:28 pm

hehe cricket .... my kids 11 and 13 are coming to visit for August and I've requested that they bring a cricket set with them so we can set up a game at the local park and confuse the natives.

Yep i miss alot of stuff from home, tea isnt an issue as I've trained my family to bring LOTS when they come to visit, not allowed to miss the choccy (put on enough weight already) have recently found a reasonable fish n chip shop (its whitefish but tastes ok with lots of vinegar) so thats sorted ...... what do i miss ??? ......... CURRY !!!!!!!!!! *sob* I'm sorry I've tried soooo hard to get by without my Friday night curry but tis no good .... I've tried making it but its just not the same ... *sigh* next planned visit home in Feb 2005 .... and I'm going to get off the plane and have more curry in a week than is healthy ... just coz !!

I am trying to fit in here honest !! its just some things are so alien from what I've been used to for the last 39 years (been here one year already, I'm now 40) give me time ... I'm sure I'll eat Wendys square burgers eventually ..... and stop missing curry

K i'll stop ramblin now

Jan :)