Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?

Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?

Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?

Actually I've thought about working there when the little one starts school! But my bank isn't too big over here and sold off it's mortgage business a couple of years ago. And technically I'm employed by the agency I consult for so it wouldn't affect me anyway...
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Actually I've thought about working there when the little one starts school! But my bank isn't too big over here and sold off it's mortgage business a couple of years ago. And technically I'm employed by the agency I consult for so it wouldn't affect me anyway...
WOW !!

I need to get out more !! LOL

I live in a 95% Hispanic 3% White 2% black and 1% Asian area.

Over the last 20 years just on our street we have not had a white/Black/Asian move in when a house is sold.

The Local Elementary school is the same.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
WOW !!

I need to get out more !! LOL

I live in a 95% Hispanic 3% White 2% black and 1% Asian area.

Over the last 20 years just on our street we have not had a white/Black/Asian move in when a house is sold.

The Local Elementary school is the same.
Your numbers don't quite add up
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
1% visitors..all illegals
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray
1% visitors..all illegals
I think 1% Visitors - illegals , sadly, is way below the true percentage.

Here is would be at least 25% illegals if not more.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nethead
Sorry about that

Note to self - DO NOT help kids with Math Homework unless you want them to get an "F" !! LOL

Make it 2% White.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

Pretty much all white here a black guys lives nextdoor-but-one (Fomer vikings player nice family) no hispanic that I know of or asians etc but a couple of hispanic at the school my kids attend.

I dont know of any other English people on our neighbourhood or town - I am sure there are some in the neighbouring town but I havent sniffed them out yet.

Doesnt seem clicky here as most people who we are friends with have all come from other states not many Colorado natives live here mostly from CA.

Issy
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:39 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I haven't lived in an "English" neighbourhood since I left umm England. I live in a town of about 8,000 in the foothills of Maine. It is a mill town and most people in this small town are crazy to some degree, I love it. I think the town I live in was years ago featured on 20/20 or something like that (people tell me this and are still proud about it to this day) for having the most alcohol consumption per capita anywhere in the US.

People around here drive around with guns quite visible, it's a way of life.
Ouch!....driving around with guns after all that booze!

Doesn't seem like the same state I live in...need to pay a visit up there
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:31 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see... My little row of houses... One black family, one hispanic family, but they've got the house up for sale now, one white gay couple (American/German), one hispanic guy and various girlfriends, mostly hispanic, us (Brit/US), and another white family (US/Israeli). We're pretty diverse. But drive five minutes up the street it's a primarily black 'hood, with some hispanics here and there.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

GoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really nice

Eh up!
How did you guys get 'all white' from the phrase 'do you live in an 'English' neibourhood?
You guys must have been living in some other parallel universe to me because on my planet England is one of the most racially diverse countries in the world.

Anyway to answer the question I DO live in a pretty ENGLISH neibourhood with quite a lot of other ENGLISH people but you'll find a lot of Brits don't feel the need to create clans based of their country of origin.
I've also been in an Irish neibourhood.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
Sorry about that

Note to self - DO NOT help kids with Math Homework unless you want them to get an "F" !! LOL

Make it 2% White.
Could just be rounding.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a town of about 4000 people in up-state New York... We have one black family and about 500 white families. That would be 99.8% white.

Nothing quite like diversity is there?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GoldFinger
Eh up!
How did you guys get 'all white' from the phrase 'do you live in an 'English' neibourhood?
You guys must have been living in some other parallel universe to me because on my planet England is one of the most racially diverse countries in the world.

Anyway to answer the question I DO live in a pretty ENGLISH neibourhood with quite a lot of other ENGLISH people but you'll find a lot of Brits don't feel the need to create clans based of their country of origin.
Even in England we had (when I left) areas that tended to have certain cultures more than anything else. Brixton for Blacks, and wasn't it Southall or something like that for Indians and I'm sure there are still areas and even new areas where one culture tends to be the majority in a town or City.

Perhaps the OP meant English speaking ?

Here in my town there USED to be a lot more English (from UK) people and they actualy did have a CLAN as you call it

They all came over and worked for the same Company and were very tight knit group. I tried to break in, but, having an American husband I was not one of the click, which was sad as I was starved for English chatter and the like.

I also see now why many people I speak to on-line do not believe how my local area differs from theirs.

The problems with language, getting a local job, etc.

I seriously thought most areas would have a higher hispanic community.

I know one lady spoke of an Hispanic family moving in, her church helping them as they couldn't speak english and had little money and how a year later they now have over 50 families all in the same boat and how the mood has now changed towards them. This was a totally different state and a small town.

It is interesting to see the different make-up of areas.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Eh up!

Based on that, of the 4000 people in palmyra 0.075% are currently English, I'd guestimate that about 50% are of German lines, maybe another 40% are of English lines, possibly 8% are of Irish descent and the other 1.925% are clearly french. Hope this clears up the confusion.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:11 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Eh up!

I lived in an "Irish" neighbourhood, too. There weren't many people left in it I would consider Irish, though. Most of them were second or third gen Irish-Americans. The fact is the original post is rather misleading for us in the US, and the OP hasn't come back to explain, so we're attempting to interpret the intention of the question.

There aren't many British ex-pat communities like there are in, say, Spain, or Dubai, where it's all primarily English (or British) people. There are probably a lot of areas, like the one I live in, that (like yours) has a lot of Brits living in it, but my local 'hood is diverse. I was in my local pub one night and bumped into an Indian woman who came from Coventry, where I lived for 9 years, and the place I went to dinner last night is run by a guy from Liverpool. But it's not like we ever socialize as a group and hold rounds of whist while the gentlemen retire to the parlour for port and cigars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.