Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?

Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?

Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

hulk_hogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?

What is your neighbourhood like?

I watch a doc where and a police officier talked about the old days and the melting pot of Chicago. Accoding to him now people live in segregation, black neighbourhoods, white and hispanic.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:12 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?

I'm not sure what you mean by "English"....We live in a small town in the NW 'burbs of Chicago and it's 95% white, 3% Hispanic, 0.4% African American. It is considered a "good" neighborhood but saying that, there is a Mall about 30 mins drive away and someone got shot there last night!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

It is really quiet and laid back around here... but some people are really cliquey. Most are friendly enough though. There's not usually any drama.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:34 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hulk_hogan

I watch a doc where and a police officier talked about the old days and the melting pot of Chicago. Accoding to him now people live in segregation, black neighbourhoods, white and hispanic.
not sure what you mean by english neighbourhood, i'm in houston and that's in america

if you mean white neighbourhood then yes, all whites in our subdivision except one very nice black family, dad's a well known boxer. however the blacks tend to live in another part of town as does the hispanics. luckily during the 6 yrs i've lived here i've witnessed no shootings/killings thank goodness all quite quiet and somewhat normal. however crime quadrupled in houston after hurricane katrina and has still not got back to how it was prior to.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:40 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JEM3110
I'm not sure what you mean by "English"....We live in a small town in the NW 'burbs of Chicago and it's 95% white, 3% Hispanic, 0.4% African American. It is considered a "good" neighborhood but saying that, there is a Mall about 30 mins drive away and someone got shot there last night!
OMG!! I can't believe I spelled neigbourhood minus the "u"
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:53 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
OMG!! I can't believe I spelled neigbourhood minus the "u"
you have been assimilated...
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

a firend visited chicago and he went to an all irish neighbourhood, where he spent christmas

people stick together in neighbourhoods don't they?

often do in the uk, i can think of many areas of london where it's only a certain religion, ethnic group
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:58 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

If by an English neighbourhood you mean "waspy", then yes. Tho, there is a black sub-division just 10 minutes from here. Its rather odd, because here there is a sort of "voluntary segregation".

Now, I'd say this neighbourhood is more "English" than most are now over there because its very safe, the kids play outside a lot without supervision and we know the neighbours, who are quite friendly. Its not a "middle class bedroom community" - people actually live and function here.

If only there was a corner shop and a pub within walking, then this would be just fine.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:29 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't lived in an "English" neighbourhood since I left umm England. I live in a town of about 8,000 in the foothills of Maine. It is a mill town and most people in this small town are crazy to some degree, I love it. I think the town I live in was years ago featured on 20/20 or something like that (people tell me this and are still proud about it to this day) for having the most alcohol consumption per capita anywhere in the US.

People around here drive around with guns quite visible, it's a way of life.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

a firend visited chicago and he went to an all irish neighbourhood, where he spent christmas

people stick together in neighbourhoods don't they?

often do in the uk, i can think of many areas of london where it's only a certain religion, ethnic group

Seems to be worldwide that. Here in my area just outside of New York City, and in NYC itself, yes, we tend to stick to areas inhabitated by our own nationalities. More so in the old days then now though.

Yonkers was definitely divided into nationalities. In 1948 and the early 50's the Poles and Slovak nationalities lived in the Walnut Street area. The local Catholic Church, St. Casmir, had a Polish mass every Sunday at 11 a.m. and we had and still have the Polish Community Center. The Italians lived in the Elm Street and Park Avenue area and they had their Catholic Church with a mass in Italian at 11 a.m. on Sundays and their Italian City Club. The same was true of the other nationalities. Blacks lived in the Tuckahoe Road area and they had their Baptist chuch there. Today, the city is primarily black and hispanic in those three areas when the second and third generations of those newly immgrated families prospered and bought homes in the outreaches of the city which were still being developed. Now the west side of the city has fallen into disrepair and is primarily an area that is populated with Section 8 apartments and high crime rates. Not saying the two go hand and glove so don't read into the sentence what is not implied. My area on the east side of the city was Italian when I moved here 31 yrs ago. Today it is Irish and you can hear the lovely brogue accents from 8 out of 10 people you talk with.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 29th 2008 at 12:47 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Xebedee
If only there was a corner shop and a pub within walking, then this would be just fine.
business opportunity?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

we live in a 100% white community which is pretty wierd now u ask because i never thought about it before and now its smacked me right in the face!! The kids go to a school with only TWO (OMG only 2) coloured kids!! isnt that wierd. So much for multi cultural way of life!

We live in a very new town in an older generation community so I dont know if that means it is what it is. Its pretty tame as far as crime goes and a lovely main street where they have concerts every sunday evening in the summer.... too perfect really ... something is wierd.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You watch too much television ...
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:43 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

business opportunity?
Love to.

G-G-G-Granville.
Attached Thumbnails Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?-openallhours1.jpg  
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am the only Englishman in the Village.

We did have a black couple in the last town we live in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.