British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   do you like your name? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-like-your-name-302539/)

brownin May 12th 2005 5:40 pm

do you like your name?

I was inspired by the US names post...... Definately some strange ones there! :scared:

I was thinking if any of you like your name and why?

I really like mine it's Portia/Porsha (I use both spellings of the name, ones on birth certificate, other is on passport)! :p

I used to think that it was quite unique, until names like Mercedes started poping up, now I am always associated with the car!

Still love it though. :D

Bob May 12th 2005 5:41 pm

Re: do you like your name?

Nought wrong with my name, but it's as common as muck which is why I go by Bob :D

Ray May 12th 2005 5:42 pm

I quite liked black and white on the page ...

Pimpbot May 12th 2005 7:06 pm

I would have prefered Engelbert Humperdinck, but my parents had other ideas.

snowbunny May 12th 2005 7:06 pm

For the millionth time.... I like it if it's pronounced in a British or Irish accent :D

Sarah May 12th 2005 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
For the millionth time.... I like it if it's pronounced in a British or Irish accent :D

Sarah's alright I suppose. At school there was always about 5 Sarah's in every class and I got fed-up with it being so common. My last name is very similar to my surname before I married. Have same initials and so thats pretty cool. However if my husbands last name had been Bogtrotter or Finkelstein I doubt I would've been willing to change to his :D

Englishmum May 12th 2005 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by brownin
I was inspired by the US names post...... Definately some strange ones there! :scared:

I was thinking if any of you like your name and why?

I really like mine it's Portia/Porsha (I use both spellings of the name, ones on birth certificate, other is on passport)! :p

I used to think that it was quite unique, until names like Mercedes started poping up, now I am always associated with the car!

Still love it though. :D

You don't have parents called Cynthia and Michael do you? I worked with a Cynthia and we delivered our daughters within a few days of each other (almost 21 years ago). Cynthia was very artistic and called her daughter Portia (from Shakespeare's 'The Merchant of Venice') which is what I had to study for my "O" level English Literature LOL!

PS. I love the name Portia too.

NJ_Dave May 12th 2005 7:21 pm

Nah, I didn't like being called David so I changed my name to Dave :p

FlyergirlUK May 12th 2005 8:06 pm

Nope - never liked my first name as no-one could ever pronounce it correctly first time.

The only good thing about it and it's uniqueness was that the FBI check was rather speedy... :D

Spanky May 12th 2005 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by dbickle
Nah, I didn't like being called David so I changed my name to Dave :p

I tried Spank for a while, But it didn't roll off the tongue so well

Englishmum May 12th 2005 8:50 pm

Well....clothes designer Ralph Lipshitz obviously thought that his name was a detriment to his brand (it's a Jewish surname - don't know if it was German but sounds sort of eastern European/Russian).

He is now called Ralph Lauren. :D

Jan Alaska May 12th 2005 8:51 pm

The only person that calls me by my proper name is my mother and then usually when I've done something wrong (happens alot). Then I moved to Michigan where for some reason my name sounds like 'jon' when I speak on the phone so reluctantly I've had to start using Janine instead of Jan

:)

Wintersong May 12th 2005 8:53 pm

Yes. Thanks for asking. :D

CitySimon May 12th 2005 8:54 pm

For some reason, the name Simon is not very common in America. People find it really funny some times. Aparently there was a sketch on Saturday Night Live back in the 80's, the game "Simon Says" and also the game "Simon" which really screwed this name up for me.

Throw in Simon Cowell and I really feel like changing my name some times! I used to work for a payroll company setting up appointments for our employee benefits guys to come round... I actually had people say, "I'll book an appointment if you say... I'M SIMON COWELL AND THIS IS AMERICAN IDOL!!"... I laffed so hard I almost shat meself! :mad:

rincewind May 12th 2005 8:59 pm

I legally changed my name when I was 16. So yes. I like my name as it is now.