Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you like it in the USA?

Do you like it in the USA?

Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Britlover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you like it in the USA?

Aww everyone is so nice to tell me your opinions! Its made me feel better about him coming over and being happy. All i can do is try my best to make him feel at home, and happy!

I plan to buy some English food/snacks for him occasionally to help curb the homesickness if there is any. I think he will like the attention for his accent lol. Tho he will have have to get used to being mistook for Australian...I think you are right! Even tho he doesnt sound anything like them
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britlover
Aww everyone is so nice to tell me your opinions! Its made me feel better about him coming over and being happy. All i can do is try my best to make him feel at home, and happy!

I plan to buy some English food/snacks for him occasionally to help curb the homesickness if there is any. I think he will like the attention for his accent lol. Tho he will have have to get used to being mistook for Australian...I think you are right! Even tho he doesnt sound anything like them
"Occasionally" is good. Keep him on a leash. Brain's faggots once a month and a couple of rashers every couple of weeks at the most.

As for the Australian thing, it is comparatively recent. I remember when Americans didn't know anything about Australia.. thought it bordered Switzerland and was "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" territory. Then along came Crocodile Dundee ...
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting the number of people who would describe living in the US as "OK". That's kind of how I feel too - I can be anything from indifferent to contented depending on my mood.

I still see life here in general as a positive thing (I am the first to say if people hate it that much, they should sod off home), I just don't believe the reality of living here fits the stereotype.

Last edited by Scott33; Apr 7th 2011 at 3:59 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
A little aside, Fox drops Glenn Beck...

Unfortunately, not from a high enough floor.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britlover
I worry that he will like life over here.
Wouldn't that be a good thing?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

I like it here.

After five years, looking back, the first two were the hardest. Wife tells me that I had depression. Possibly.

A lot happened that first year, marriage, moving halfway across the country, find a job...and all the while trying to adapt to a foreign country.

We are moving again soon, although not as far this time. Job search starts again but feeling a lot more content and confident this time around.

I'm happy.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BritishToTheEnd
America is founded on noble principles and high ideals but it is fast turning into the theme from George Orwell's 1984. The people are so dumbed down a nationalistic, that they are unable and/or unwilling to stop it.

Most (not all) of the populous are far more ignorant than most third world "backward" (qoute -unqoute) countries I have traveled to. But what makes me unsympathetic to their ignorance here is that Americans are extrememly arrogant / happy in there ignorance. It is amusing at first.... but then it starts to irk your nerves.

Plus the other negative things people mention on this forum:
1. Everyman for himself culture
2. The fakeness
3. Keeping up with the joneses
4. The hyper racial awareness
5. The Glenn becks
6. The Republican party
7. Fox news
8. Health care

There are many good thing and good and enlightened peace loving people but they are few and far between in my opinion.

Hence, why I going home on the 16th april... reading this forum over the years has been a lifeline to sanity for me.

American is the land of milk and honey.... if your willing to pay for its price
I couldn't agree with you more and I have lived in America for several decades. It's a sin and a shame what is happening here. If things don't change soon, I believe this country will sooner rather than later, fall flat on it's collective face. Today, I liken my loved adopted country more in line with the movie "Idiocracy", if not falling into schizophrenia. If I wasn't so angry with what is currently taking placing in America..I would cry river of tears for my American born children and grandchildren...and I just may do that as well. So sad to watch and feeling so terribly powerless to change things. There are many sane Americans in this country...good people who have a sense of common decency and fairplay...but their voices are being silenced, being drowned out, being refused to be heard by those in power. The Crazies are now in charge.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

There is good and bad in both, neither are perfect, I find it kinda sickening that people think the USA best place in the world to live, they seem to think the streets are paved with gold or something

Home is where the heart is.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Unfortunately, not from a high enough floor.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
........So sad to watch and feeling so terribly powerless to change things. There are many sane Americans in this country...good people who have a sense of common decency and fairplay...but their voices are being silenced, being drowned out, being refused to be heard by those in power. The Crazies are now in charge.
Too many Americans are mild-mannered, too polite, don't speak up, don't vote ... and have that "It is what it is" attitude. They are born & brought up thinking themselves powerless underdogs. True, there are people like this in Britain, Europe and other democracies, but unfortunately in the US they are a critically high proportion of the population (that's what I've observed, anyway.)
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin1234
Too many Americans are mild-mannered, too polite, don't speak up, don't vote ... and have that "It is what it is" attitude. They are born & brought up thinking themselves powerless underdogs. True, there are people like this in Britain, Europe and other democracies, but unfortunately in the US they are a critically high proportion of the population (that's what I've observed, anyway.)
I so understand what you are saying. I feel 'powerless' at the moment, because I as one individual, I don't have the power to change all that I perceive to be wrong at this time. Truly, I'm not a 'well-mannered' person IRL, nor in IRL am I all that polite, and I do have a blunt, big mouth IRL...just ask my former employers when I was a 'bill collector' dealing with major corporations who felt they didn't need to pay what they owed (more than once I was called on the carpet for my 'bluntness' with corporate customers). I have marched in anti-war demonstrations, I call into C-Span, I sign petitions and put my money where my mouth is, etc....and even after all that...seems to no avail. I have raised my children to do the same (and they do) and the people in my circle are much like me/us. Just recently my 41 yr old son protested/marched with the good workers of Wisconsin, in Madison. With all that, still it is disheartening, soul disturbing and sad to see what is currently happening. And yes, how I wish America would wake up...maybe it's too late, I don't know..time will tell. But I'll still try and do my bit, the best I can now, at 64 yrs of age.
I would only suggest to anyone...at this point in time...if you already have a job with benefits, wherever that may be...you might want to sit still there for a while longer. JMO!

Just to add...depending on the outcome of next year's presidential elections...I may just have to 'jump ship'. If it goes the way I think it may go...I would find life in the states most intolerable for myself. Again, JMO!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:20 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

I like the fact that the Yanks are "more socially forgiving" than the English are. In that respect, its easier to get along if you are basically a yob.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:34 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve100100
I like it here.

After five years, looking back, the first two were the hardest. Wife tells me that I had depression. Possibly.

A lot happened that first year, marriage, moving halfway across the country, find a job...and all the while trying to adapt to a foreign country.

We are moving again soon, although not as far this time. Job search starts again but feeling a lot more content and confident this time around.

I'm happy.
I really struggled for the first two years or so. Dreadfully alienated and homesick. I'm not entirely sure exactly when things changed - but it did seem like all of a sudden something clicked and this place felt like home.

I've been here 6 years in total now and am very happy.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Do you think Australians get asked which part of England they are from?
l wouldn't be surprised...or which part of New Zealand or South Africa ! I think all non US accents are interchangeable to Americans
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:08 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flbrit59
l wouldn't be surprised...or which part of New Zealand or South Africa ! I think all non US accents are interchangeable to Americans
That's probably true. Even I get Australian, which is weird, but the best was when I met my wife's dad for the first time and he asked me which part of Germany I was from

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.