Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you like it in the USA?

Do you like it in the USA?

Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you like it in the USA?

I think a lot depends on where you are. Overall, I do like it here (here being the specific town I live in) - it suits the kind of person I am. There are things I really like (usually related to the great outdoors), things I really dislike (usually related to the ultra-conservatism I encounter on occasion) and things I just have to laugh at - like the convertible I saw yesterday carrying so many upside-down dining chairs it looked like a hedgehog. That said, there are many places in the states I would HATE to live in and I would rather move home than live there. For me, that generally includes places with no mountains and the really big cities such as New York, LA, etc.

I think the little things (and some not-so-little) have a bigger impact though. For example, petty bureaucracy annoyed me in the UK, but here it's mind-blowingly infuriating, not least because it usually hampers you from doing something pretty significant, like getting a job, or sitting your driving test, or seeing a doctor or whatever. On the flip side, I really appreciate the great weather (though I was never one to moan about the weather in Scotland, and I actually really enjoy the rain when I visit).
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

BritishToTheEnd is on a distinguished road

America is founded on noble principles and high ideals but it is fast turning into the theme from George Orwell's 1984. The people are so dumbed down a nationalistic, that they are unable and/or unwilling to stop it.

Most (not all) of the populous are far more ignorant than most third world "backward" (qoute -unqoute) countries I have traveled to. But what makes me unsympathetic to their ignorance here is that Americans are extrememly arrogant / happy in there ignorance. It is amusing at first.... but then it starts to irk your nerves.

Plus the other negative things people mention on this forum:
1. Everyman for himself culture
2. The fakeness
3. Keeping up with the joneses
4. The hyper racial awareness
5. The Glenn becks
6. The Republican party
7. Fox news
8. Health care

There are many good thing and good and enlightened peace loving people but they are few and far between in my opinion.

Hence, why I going home on the 16th april... reading this forum over the years has been a lifeline to sanity for me.

American is the land of milk and honey.... if your willing to pay for its price
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It must be because I'm getting ready to go on vacation so I'll just puke this up and run, but really.. looking at the vast majority of Britons, I could say the same thing. I'm not trying to talk you out of going home, BritishToTheEnd, but I believe your list has a UK equivalent for each item. If it is the flavor you prefer, that is fine, but don't try to paint the entire British populace as this hyper-educated, classy bunch of people living in perfect racial harmony and without their own socioeconomic problems and stupidities. They're still just the stupidities you know & are comfortable with. Some may hate it as much as you hate the US.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Frankherbert is just really niceFrankherbert is just really niceFrankherbert is just really niceFrankherbert is just really niceFrankherbert is just really niceFrankherbert is just really niceFrankherbert is just really niceFrankherbert is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritishToTheEnd
America is founded on noble principles and high ideals but it is fast turning into the theme from George Orwell's 1984. The people are so dumbed down a nationalistic, that they are unable and/or unwilling to stop it.

Most (not all) of the populous are far more ignorant than most third world "backward" (qoute -unqoute) countries I have traveled to. But what makes me unsympathetic to their ignorance here is that Americans are extrememly arrogant / happy in there ignorance. It is amusing at first.... but then it starts to irk your nerves.

2. The fakeness
5. The Glenn becks
6. The Republican party
7. Fox news
8. Health care

There are many good thing and good and enlightened peace loving people but they are few and far between in my opinion.

Hence, why I going home on the 16th april... reading this forum over the years has been a lifeline to sanity for me.

I second that - LMAO
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It must be because I'm getting ready to go on vacation so I'll just puke this up and run, but really.. looking at the vast majority of Britons, I could say the same thing. I'm not trying to talk you out of going home, BritishToTheEnd, but I believe your list has a UK equivalent for each item. If it is the flavor you prefer, that is fine, but don't try to paint the entire British populace as this hyper-educated, classy bunch of people living in perfect racial harmony and without their own socioeconomic problems and stupidities. They're still just the stupidities you know & are comfortable with. Some may hate it as much as you hate the US.
Reminds me of my uni days . . .

Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury

It is different and I think a lot of Brits don't realize just how different life is here until they arrive, and it comes as a shock. The expect it to be England on a bigger scale and it isn't.
This is pretty much the same as my wife said about moving to the U.K. She thought is was going to be just like the U.S. but with funny accents and little cars. She had a really bad time for the first year or so. It was here decision to start our married life in the U.K. though and because of that, she stuck with it. Now, after 9 years back in the U.S., she's the one who is desperate to get back to the U.K.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

But what makes me unsympathetic to their ignorance here is that Americans are extrememly arrogant / happy in there ignorance.
To be fair, if ignorance is bliss then I live in the happiest place on Earth.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

looking at the vast majority of Britons, I could say the same thing. I'm not trying to talk you out of going home, BritishToTheEnd, but I believe your list has a UK equivalent for each item. If it is the flavor you prefer, that is fine, but don't try to paint the entire British populace as this hyper-educated, classy bunch of people living in perfect racial harmony and without their own socioeconomic problems and stupidities. They're still just the stupidities you know & are comfortable with. Some may hate it as much as you hate the US.
Fair enough, like i said there are many good things and people here, it's a balancing act for any particular person and yes! England also has quirks but it's like you said: "They're still just the stupidities you know & are comfortable with"

When i was a young lad, growing up in London, I used to boast that i was an American because i had dual citizenship. As if that made me John Rambo. I came to settle here at 17, join the navy at that time, has very successful enlistment as a deep sea salvage diver, made E-5 in four years. Then I had/have a successful career in the merchant Maritime industry. BUT the love and pride I once had for this place began diminishing upon arrival.

As a kid I used to boast i was American... but now, BY GOD I AM BRITISH.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things".

I can't wait to bring my family home with me.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to bring my family home with me.
I too was raised between countries. I hope you can remember that your children will be as well. If the US is a part of them, it just is. Maybe there is something there that *they* will appreciate one day, or get to enjoy the varied experiences you have.
Anyway, considering the OP & her motivations, perhaps you've had your vent now and can offer something truly useful to her. I'm sure she doesn't want to hear how crap you think it is, when she is asking because the love of her life is moving over (which is already a done deal).

America is a great place to live, and so is England but I'm not in England so the fact they have pork pies back there and you can't get them here isn't something which occupies my mind until meauxna mentions it.
I am really, really sorry to do this to you... the FedEx man just showed up with a fresh (unexpected) delivery. However, the DH is out, so if you beat feet up here, you could pilfer.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I am really, really sorry to do this to you... the FedEx man just showed up with a fresh (unexpected) delivery. However, the DH is out, so if you beat feet up here, you could pilfer.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

/ happy in there ignorance.
Works both ways doesn't it
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't do that to fellow Brit it would be cruel and unusual punishment, and if you were really and truly sorry you wouldn't even have mentioned it.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:18 pm

I couldn't do that to fellow Brit it would be cruel and unusual punishment, and if you were really and truly sorry you wouldn't even have mentioned it.
I'm a bad, bad girl.
Plus he just got home, missed your chance.
x
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Anyway, considering the OP & her motivations, perhaps you've had your vent now and can offer something truly useful to her. I'm sure she doesn't want to hear how crap you think it is, when she is asking because the love of her life is moving over (which is already a done deal).
Originally Posted by Britlover
Just wanting some feedback about the likes/dislikes/difficult things...
As you see she asked about this likes

As i briefly mentioned before, there are good people, places and things to do in America, i'm sure britlover is American and knows this well. If you can avoid letting your husband becoming engulf in those negative elements that I mentioned and ARE oft talked about in forums where brits congregate, then I am sure he will love his new home...

And why not? You are clearly a loving wife, concerned for his well-being and happiness. Even if he is no "thrilled", your love will keep things together and make him very happy. Trust me!

Those negative things i mentioned were to perhaps make you aware of how some (if not many) british expats feel. But never be discouraged, you obviously have the foresight and sincerity to turn any negative into positive.

In fact he may love the Glenns and fox and republicans? Who knows?

I hope this is sufficiently optimistic for some

Good luck

Last edited by BritishToTheEnd; Apr 6th 2011 at 8:41 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:43 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

2. The fakeness
5. The Glenn becks
6. The Republican party
7. Fox news
8. Health care

Ha! That's a good one. You're going back to perhaps the surveillance capital of the world, yet you liken the US to an Orwellian state?

Buh-bye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.