Reload this Page >

Do you like it in the USA?

Do you like it in the USA?

Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:04 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you like it in the USA?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
There are a lot of people that never feel the need for a passport. When you're working an ordinary job and paying bills, taking care of children, etc... you're not too worried about having a passport or leaving the country. I don't feel they are narrow minded at all. When your most favorite vacation is going camping, for example, and not getting on a plane going somewhere else, should that be confused with narrow mindness?

My next door neighbor in the UK didn't have a passport ever. She finally got one in her 50's because her husband wanted to take a vacation abroad. Well they went to Majorca and stayed with the other Brits. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a cultural awareness sojourn. They are pretty nice people, were lovely neighbors and I'm not meaning to tear them down at all. But the fact that they got their passports later and were only going to places that catered to British tourists must say something.
I think you mistake what I mean, I said who would NEVER EVEN CONSIDER getting a passport, ie I know of some Americans who when their son or daughter was getting married in the UK, they would not go to the wedding because they just refuse to leave the USA for any reason. Nor would they go to the UK to visit their son/daughter and grandkids. I don't mean people who haven't considered getting a passport just because they never needed one.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I think you mistake what I mean, I said who would NEVER EVEN CONSIDER getting a passport, ie I know of some Americans who when their son or daughter was getting married in the UK, they would not go to the wedding because they just refuse to leave the USA for any reason. Nor would they go to the UK to visit their son/daughter and grandkids. I don't mean people who haven't considered getting a passport just because they never needed one.
A high proportion of Americans just aren't travellers. For instance, most people in the town I live in have never been to New York City, even though it is less than 400 miles away and is regarded as one of the world's "must see" destinations. This I think gets to why many Americans don't travel abroad or travel at all; fear of cities. I assume in the 21st century almost all Europeans have visited a big city, can't really avoid it. In the US it is possible to live a full life without ever going to a large town or city, and of course it is impossible to go abroad without submitting yourself to the city/public transport experience.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
A high proportion of Americans just aren't travellers. For instance, most people in the town I live in have never been to New York City, even though it is less than 400 miles away and is regarded as one of the world's "must see" destinations. This I think gets to why many Americans don't travel abroad or travel at all; fear of cities. I assume in the 21st century almost all Europeans have visited a big city, can't really avoid it. In the US it is possible to live a full life without ever going to a large town or city, and of course it is impossible to go abroad without submitting yourself to the city/public transport experience.
I don't know, I think you get both extremes here. On the other hand, there are plenty of Americans will uproot their families (either out of desire or necessity) on a regular basis to chase jobs around the country.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:55 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

We've lived here just over 2 1/2 years now and have loved every minute of it! I get to go 'home' fairly regularly and each time the desire to get back on the plane gets stronger and stronger! Just feels so cramped back in the UK?

It's no way perfect here, but better? You bet!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
We've lived here just over 2 1/2 years now and have loved every minute of it! I get to go 'home' fairly regularly and each time the desire to get back on the plane gets stronger and stronger! Just feels so cramped back in the UK?

+ 1
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:39 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve100100
+ 1
+2
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:14 am

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
+2
+3
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip

Sorry - I have to disagree. I don't think it's better here at all. There's lots of things I like about living in the US, but I can also think of a lot of things I don't like. It isn't better than the UK - it's different from the UK. The US is okay if you have a well paying job, good health insurance, etc. If you don't - well you're basically screwed. Try asking the 52 million Americans without health insurance how they feel - ask them if life is so wonderful here. And before anyone jumps down my throat - I am not running down America - I'm just telling it like it is.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

monksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nice

I would like to add my opinion. We have lived in the USA for thirty years, in a number of states and have moved for many reasons. As to whether the USA is better than the UK, I cannot make a true answer, all I can say is that every time I have been back to the UK (Manchester) I have been less and less interested in what it has to offer. There are things wrong with the USA without doubt, a very good friend of mine is having to have a benefit for his brother who has a brain tumor and is in financial difficulties. This should not happen in the richest country in the world. For those of you that dont know what a benefit is, it is basically a means of raising money to cover medical expenses and takes the form of raffles, auctions and donations. Possibly its a Midwestern thing, I dont know.

The plus side is I have a very good job, and although I think I pay too much for medical coverage I think I am better off than in the UK in the fact that if I need treatment I get it straight away. Most people are not as lucky as me.

As to the American work ethic, my opinion is that the majority of Americans are scared of loosing there jobs or of being passed over by more ambitious people, so they are less likely to take time off. This goes back to the fact that there are no safety nets for the unemployed. If you have a job, you will do anything to keep it, even if it means working extra hours and never taking a vacation.

Do I think the USA is better than the UK? To be honest, I dont know. Would I move back to Manchester, probably not. Would I stay in the USA if I could afford a cottage overlooking the bay at St. Ives. No way. You pays your money and takes your chance.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:50 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal

The US is okay if you have a well paying job, good health insurance, etc. If you don't - well you're basically screwed.
I don't have a well paying job, in fact I don't have a job at all. Not sure the health insurance I have is good, but I pay for it myself.

I'm most certainly not screwed, basically or otherwise, and I most certainly have a better life and standard of living here than when I worked in the UK.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

eris123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Derrygal
[/B]

Sorry - I have to disagree. I don't think it's better here at all. There's lots of things I like about living in the US, but I can also think of a lot of things I don't like. It isn't better than the UK - it's different from the UK. The US is okay if you have a well paying job, good health insurance, etc. If you don't - well you're basically screwed. Try asking the 52 million Americans without health insurance how they feel - ask them if life is so wonderful here. And before anyone jumps down my throat - I am not running down America - I'm just telling it like it is.
Actually, I don't have a real job right now and my life is fine. The government pays for my daughter's health insurance and good quality doctors and hospitals (and the local hospital run by an ivy league university does sliding scale on all patients without health insurance). The state and the federal government completely cover my tuition at a local university (which means I go for free plus can take out subsidized loans for living expenses). We would qualify for free food, welfare, and housing but choose not to take it because it isn't absolutely necessary for our survival. As soon as I acquire a more professional job, we'll stop utilizing any handouts.

Just thought I'd enlighten you
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eris123
Actually, I don't have a real job right now and my life is fine. The government pays for my daughter's health insurance and good quality doctors and hospitals (and the local hospital run by an ivy league university does sliding scale on all patients without health insurance). The state and the federal government completely cover my tuition at a local university (which means I go for free plus can take out subsidized loans for living expenses). We would qualify for free food, welfare, and housing but choose not to take it because it isn't absolutely necessary for our survival. As soon as I acquire a more professional job, we'll stop utilizing any handouts.

Just thought I'd enlighten you
Eris123 - which state do you live in? You mention Ivy League so I'm assuming somewhere in the Northeast maybe?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

eris123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
Eris123 - which state do you live in? You mention Ivy League so I'm assuming somewhere in the Northeast maybe?
I live in CT. I know each state is different with regards to its medicaid/welfare/housing laws. I know we are one of the richer states but we have some incredibly poor cities. People here really do take care of the poor if they are willing to help themselves, though. If you just want to sit on welfare/fraudulent disability and section 8 (government housing) for the rest of your life - no one is going to feel inclined to help. If you are doing something to better yourself you'll get assistance/respect from the entire community. Just my experience with it.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

this is such a bloody subjective question we could go round and round in circles about it until the end of time! It'd be like if we had a what's your favourite song thread, and the outrage that would ensue if I said 'Moonlight Shadow' .

I'm still in the OK camp. I personally don't think the US is better than the UK and that'll probably never change but that's fine because if I was being honest the only reason I am here at all is because this is where my wife and my children are. One day I might be able to convince my wife to give it a go back home but I'm not optimistic about that so here I stay. And that's fine, really.

I can only be honest, and so can everybody else on here, but for me (that's very important), there's nothing special about the USA. I can't see what all the fuss is about, really. I'm sure there's nothing special about the UK either, but it's where I grew up, and almost 6 years away isn't long enough for me to not miss it yet.

There's so much variation inside the US itself too, thus compounding thins further! Ah but it's fun to disagree, isn't it

For the record, I do quite like 'Moonlight Shadow'
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
this is such a bloody subjective question we could go round and round in circles about it until the end of time! It'd be like if we had a what's your favourite song thread, and the outrage that would ensue if I said 'Moonlight Shadow' .
Ahh, but that's what these threads are usually like....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.