Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you like it in the USA?

Do you like it in the USA?

Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you like it in the USA?

Octang,

just wondering what you prefer......

I can't stand that I have.....

City police
County Sheriff
State Trooper

all making sure I don't do 55 in a 50 zone.........

it's indirect taxation at best and police state at worst.......

As a Trucker I have to tell you that since the majority of states that are broke have increased their inspection and scale operations...
I doubt that truckers are doing anything more illegal or flounting rules now than they were in say......... 5 years ago. They're doing it to fine more people....... to raise more money.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:56 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Right, Manc, I hear you. LEO and prisons are growing industries here. I don't like the police here, or over there. I despise the growing use of paramilitary police over here. I was reading yesterday of a SWAT team evicting a lady from her home on behalf of a bank. There's a lot I would change over here.

But that said, I despise the government-in-everybody's-business more. CCTV cameras everywhere. The petty, small-mindedness. Council spies. Ludicrous recycling crap. Bureaucrats spying left, right and center.
Interfering in others' business "for the greater good".
Constant petty legislation. Protect the children! ZOMG! The environment!
The Daily Mail mentality. Class. Money. Background.

I lol'ed when reading a article in the DM (about something that happened in America) and in the comments section, someone had written: "I don't know what to think... the DM hasn't told me how much their house is worth".
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

BritishToTheEnd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Ha! That's a good one. You're going back to perhaps the surveillance capital of the world, yet you liken the US to an Orwellian state?

Buh-bye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Wow-wee! I am not saying anything more than others have said... Holy Moly, i thought that what i said was very unimaginative in fact, considering. In response I was going to mention about the destruction of the national i.d card in the U.K and the good REASON why and America move towards one, BUUUUT, that's neither here nor there, i don't want to get into a pissing contest. I feel the last statement absolves me from my pessimistic sins, can you forgive me and move on? please excuse a born again brit, i can't help my self ?

... or not
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:05 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

You are forgiven. Go in peas.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We go round and round on this one. Health care - racism - ignorance - police & bureaucracy...
I'm sure the USA and the UK are both seriously shítty places full of bad stuff. It's just that Britain is MY shítty place, and the US is a scary ALIEN shítty place. And that's after living more than half my adult life here, becoming a citizen, being a fully paid up potential Social Security and Medicare recipient etc. etc.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

BritishToTheEnd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by robin1234
We go round and round on this one. Health care - racism - ignorance - police & bureaucracy...
I'm sure the USA and the UK are both seriously shítty places full of bad stuff. It's just that Britain is MY shítty place, and the US is a scary ALIEN shítty place. And that's after living more than half my adult life here, becoming a citizen, being a fully paid up potential Social Security and Medicare recipient etc. etc.
hear, hear! or to be precise "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Right, Manc, I hear you. LEO and prisons are growing industries here. I don't like the police here, or over there. I despise the growing use of paramilitary police over here. I was reading yesterday of a SWAT team evicting a lady from her home on behalf of a bank. There's a lot I would change over here.

But that said, I despise the government-in-everybody's-business more. CCTV cameras everywhere. The petty, small-mindedness. Council spies. Ludicrous recycling crap. Bureaucrats spying left, right and center.
Interfering in others' business "for the greater good".
Constant petty legislation. Protect the children! ZOMG! The environment!
The Daily Mail mentality. Class. Money. Background.

I lol'ed when reading a article in the DM (about something that happened in America) and in the comments section, someone had written: "I don't know what to think... the DM hasn't told me how much their house is worth".
I think CCTV are a blight, really I do. I think when the "if you have nothing to hide" arguement rears it's head then you've lost the arguement.

However. I'm willing to bet that CCTV's have caught more rapists than a speed gun ever will.

I also think, and I have nothing to back this up, just a hunch on my trips back to the UK, but there is very little noticeable police on the ground in panda cars anymore in the UK.

I suspect that there are a few rapid response teams to go knock a few heads that are battering each other that the CCTV's have spotted... But I reckon most are detictives out investigating real crimes.

If that's the case, I can go with that. I'd much rather my cops be out looking for kiddy fiddlers than a guy doing 5 over.......

just my tuppence.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

If only that view were true! Only this week there are announcements of more cuts in the police budget, supposedly not affecting front line officers, but in reality, those with 30 years service are being compulsorarily retired, leaving those with less experience in work. This must be going to have an impact on level of service to the public. Many people I know here in the UK are actually envious of the police response in the US, where you are not automatically hauled in on charges if you dare to defend yourself against criminals. There is a nagging belief that the law here is more on the side of the wrongdoer than the victim, whether this is true or not, it is a widely held belief. I think there is always going to be an element of "the grass is greener" but most people could live fairly happily in either country if that is what they want. I travel back here (to Uk) every couple of months for work and so I think I probably have the best of both worlds. I know there are some things I like more about one country than the other but as long as you accept each for what it is - and we all know the differences - you stand a chance of being ok. Live the life you have, don't live a "what if?" one.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
the first few months are great. like being on permanent holiday

after that, the novelty wears off and you realize that "this is it......... hershey bars and Glen Beck for the rest of time........."
So true ! Like most,l've got mixed feelings on it. l've been here 13 yrs now and the novelty wore off for me after about 6 months ! l miss the UK a lot and as far as l'm concerned it's my home,and always will be. Due to circumstances,l'm pretty much stuck here with little hope of returning to the UK to live...but l guess it could be worse !

Tell him to get used to being asked "Are u from Australia",on a daily basis for the rest of his life in the US
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:33 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by janette
If only that view were true! Only this week there are announcements of more cuts in the police budget, supposedly not affecting front line officers, but in reality, those with 30 years service are being compulsorarily retired, leaving those with less experience in work. This must be going to have an impact on level of service to the public. Many people I know here in the UK are actually envious of the police response in the US, where you are not automatically hauled in on charges if you dare to defend yourself against criminals. There is a nagging belief that the law here is more on the side of the wrongdoer than the victim, whether this is true or not, it is a widely held belief. I think there is always going to be an element of "the grass is greener" but most people could live fairly happily in either country if that is what they want. I travel back here (to Uk) every couple of months for work and so I think I probably have the best of both worlds. I know there are some things I like more about one country than the other but as long as you accept each for what it is - and we all know the differences - you stand a chance of being ok. Live the life you have, don't live a "what if?" one.
very rare you need to defend yourself against a woman going faster than she should to take the kids to school..........
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I think CCTV are a blight, really I do. I think when the "if you have nothing to hide" arguement rears it's head then you've lost the arguement.

However. I'm willing to bet that CCTV's have caught more rapists than a speed gun ever will.

I also think, and I have nothing to back this up, just a hunch on my trips back to the UK, but there is very little noticeable police on the ground in panda cars anymore in the UK.

I suspect that there are a few rapid response teams to go knock a few heads that are battering each other that the CCTV's have spotted... But I reckon most are detictives out investigating real crimes.

If that's the case, I can go with that. I'd much rather my cops be out looking for kiddy fiddlers than a guy doing 5 over.......

just my tuppence.
There is some truth in that. For example Mansfield Notts has one of the most extensive CCTV systems in Europe with about 160 cameras. When I last read up on it it had resulted in 10,000 live arrests and about 2,500 arrests using subsequent footage. Mind you, a lot of that is probably drunken brawling. It has it's limits though. A couple of mates got the shite kicked out of them a while back and while a camera filmed the whole thing no-one was arrested because they were wearing hoodies. Having actual police on the ground tends to stop crime before it happens - rather than waiting till it occurs and sending out a rapid response squad.

On the speeding issue, its not an either or thing. If you lived in the UK you would have to look out for police officers with speed guns, speed camera (which are everywhere) and the CCTV.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't mind CCTV. If you are in public you should always behave as if someone could see you anyway. Afterall, if someone happened to be looking out of their window and saw you it's exactly the same as CCTV. CCTV has also stopped innocent people being arrested. On a 'Cops With Cameras' show I watched, there was a town centre fight, and police waded in to arrest several people. The CCTV operator was able to tell the cops that one of the guys they had grabbed was innocent and had just been nearby. That information saved the guy getting arrested, having his DNA taken and possibly getting convicted of a crime he was innocent of.

I think in these high technology days, escaping surveillance is a battle none of us will win. They can trace where you are by your mobile phone, even if it's switched off, they can trace your movements on public transport if you have an Oyster card, trace your purchases via debit cards, even track your shopping preferences via loyalty cards.

Having said that, I was a huge opponent of ID cards, and I'm so glad the ConDem coalition have scrapped them. Afterall most Brits have a passport anyway.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

A little aside, Fox drops Glenn Beck...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/rich...ox-news-dumped
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I think in these high technology days, escaping surveillance is a battle none of us will win. They can trace where you are by your mobile phone, even if it's switched off, they can trace your movements on public transport if you have an Oyster card, trace your purchases via debit cards, even track your shopping preferences via loyalty cards.
These are all personal choices though. You don't have to own a mobile phone (I don't have one, only occasionally is it an inconvenience.) You certainly don't need to use a debit card or any store loyalty cards. I agree an Oyster Card is the only way to go in London; but it can be anonymous, am I right? You can pay for it & top it up with cash, and you don't have to register it online...
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flbrit59
So true ! Like most,l've got mixed feelings on it. l've been here 13 yrs now and the novelty wore off for me after about 6 months ! l miss the UK a lot and as far as l'm concerned it's my home,and always will be. Due to circumstances,l'm pretty much stuck here with little hope of returning to the UK to live...but l guess it could be worse !

Tell him to get used to being asked "Are u from Australia",on a daily basis for the rest of his life in the US
Do you think Australians get asked which part of England they are from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.