British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do you 'keep fit' in the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-keep-fit-us-300049/)

Bob May 1st 2005 4:26 am

Re: Do you 'keep fit' in the US?

Originally Posted by tony126
Hip problems have kept me from walking. I firmly believe you need to do stretching exercises each day 5/10mins and walk for 30/40mins at 4mph 3 times a week, weather conditions prevailing.
:)

easier said then done I know, but yeah, that's not bad, though if you have a gimpy hip, probably better to do it in a swimming pool, less impact on the joints...it's weird how malls open early here so people can walk, but makes sense as there heated in winter and a/c in summer and less likely to fall over in snow etc...

Englishmum May 1st 2005 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
easier said then done I know, but yeah, that's not bad, though if you have a gimpy hip, probably better to do it in a swimming pool, less impact on the joints...it's weird how malls open early here so people can walk, but makes sense as there heated in winter and a/c in summer and less likely to fall over in snow etc...

Yes, it's a strange phenomenon isn't it? I didn't even know that our local mall opened up extra early in the morning so people could do some sort of walking fitness regime - until it was announced in our local paper that it had been suspended because the mall could be considered a terrorist threat and the police and fire brigade have had emergency drills there in case of bomb threats and the like. wtf?

On the other hand, another mall about 5 miles away has a pre-shop opening hours fitness regime for mothers and young babies. They go 'power strolling' around the mall (and their babies are used as 'weights' when they're doing arm strengthening exercises) :D

(It's interesting to read about Curves. There is a branch in our vicinity but I've never seen anyone go in or out of it....I always thought it was another version of Weightwatchers and they didn't do such things as exercising. Then again, I haven't a clue what they do at Weightwatchers either. The sketches on "Little Britain" are funny - but the character is too much like Pauline from the JobCentre in "The League of Gentlemen").

Have to agree Bob about the locals not playing footie in the park...around here they all get a baseball bat and play softball instead. I'm annoyed that we will have to be hanging around at home for the last three weeks of August before the school year begins as my son wants to try out to be a goalie for the football (soccer) team...they have to turn up for compulsory training of approx 2 hours each morning. It really pisses me off to be honest. He's been on the team for the last couple of years, but the season is over by mid-October....such a shame that they only play for about six-seven weeks a year (and then there is the formal dinner and speeches at the end of the season.... :rolleyes: ).

Elvira May 1st 2005 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
they have to turn up for compulsory training of approx 2 hours each morning. It really pisses me off to be honest. He's been on the team for the last couple of years, but the season is over by mid-October....such a shame that they only play for about six-seven weeks a year (and then there is the formal dinner and speeches at the end of the season.... :rolleyes: ).

:rolleyes: quite - my lads no longer play because they just got fed up with all the hard 'conditioning' training and all-out competitiveness (and no tackling allowed :scared: )

:(

peacelover May 1st 2005 5:03 pm

I manage to stay quite fit here because I don't like a lot of the food so I am very fussy about eating. I have a pool so I swim a lot more. I walk and have a stepper and an exercise bike in the house.

WELSH GEEZER May 1st 2005 9:23 pm

I have gone all to pot since moving to the U/S Orio cookies are the best thing since sliced bread :) :beer: But i am trying now :eek:

Britdrinker May 2nd 2005 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
He's gone to the bloody hash...... :rolleyes: :o

I run with the Austin and Houston Hash House Harriers regularly. Damn good exercise, and I wouldn't run much otherwise, although the beer consumption afterward usually counteracts any useful effect of the running.

BTW I met my wife hashing (in Europe) and that's partly why I now live in the US!

Tone May 2nd 2005 3:47 pm

Have never set foot in a gym since I left school, BMI 21 regards ;)

Eskimo May 2nd 2005 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tone
Have never set foot in a gym since I left school, BMI 21 regards ;)

you probaly have a serious illness you're not aware of :D

I balloned to 15.5 stone three years ago from travelling on business 40 weeks a year and getting pissed every night. Decided to do something about it and started running - first time I went out I managed 2 mins before a near death experience - stuck at it and got up to two hours per session - did weight watchers as well and got down to 11 stone 10 (too thin I'm 6 foot) Came to to the US and have put on about 2 stone ! am running again now though before it gets too hot. I can still run 7 miles in an hour which is not bad considering how little exercise I have done in the last 10 months.. I have say a couple of weeks back in to it (3/4 times a week) and I sleep better and feel fantastic - stopped smoking (again) today after a 3 week slip so Im really testing myself :scared:

Tone May 2nd 2005 4:33 pm

Yeah right, when I first visited the Doc's here, they were amazed I'd never had my cholesterol checked, and they were further amazed when the LDL/HDL came back at 0.7, don't think they'd seen one so low.

Elvira May 2nd 2005 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo
y travelling on business 40 weeks a year and getting pissed every night.

:confused: - what business are you in?!!??? :scared:

Englishmum May 2nd 2005 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
I run with the Austin and Houston Hash House Harriers regularly. Damn good exercise, and I wouldn't run much otherwise, although the beer consumption afterward usually counteracts any useful effect of the running.

BTW I met my wife hashing (in Europe) and that's partly why I now live in the US!

Ha ha!

My husband rarely stays for the on-on (post hash drinking session) as he has always been teetotal....just doesn't like the taste of alcohol - unlike me... :D

I guess there are quite a number of expats in your hashing group....allied to the oil industry I guess....we knew loads of expats (Brits and Americans) in Singapore who had lived, or were moving on to Houston - and of course there is the British school there too. There are some expats and former expats in the HHH in our locality in NJ.

Pete was in Bangkok last week but it was too hot and humid to run outside...he didn't last long in the hotel's gym either as the air-con was barely working.

I for one can't stand running, it's just not my cup of tea. :)

Eskimo May 2nd 2005 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
:confused: - what business are you in?!!??? :scared:

I was a European Logistics Manager -I lived in the UK but had sites in every European country - I was also king of the airmiles :D

jjmb May 2nd 2005 5:49 pm

Must admit my level of fitness has declined considerably since moving to the US and it wasn't that good to start with. But at least back in Scotland I would walk to the shops most days of week and walk the dog. Here, even walking the dog isn't as much fun, as he has be kept on a leash all the time.

When we first moved here and I had to drive my husband to work (only one car with no public transport) I would drop him off and then go the work place gym. That went on for about 9 months before we got another car and that was bye-bye gym.

Last October, I decided I would try again and rejoined the YMCA. I completed their program called Fitstart which was 12 weeks, at least 3 times a week, in the gym with imput from the trainers there. However in the last month, I have gotten so bored with it, that I have found easy not to go.

Plus I think to myself why do it? I haven't seen any real benefits. I haven't had an alcoholic drink for 3 months, I only drink one diet coke a day, the rest is fizzy water or plain water, 2 or 3 cups of coffee with a dash of milk. I have cut out all snacks because I began to visualize all the fat blocking my arteries. I have the occaisional chocolate bar. A sandwich for lunch and cereal for breakfast. My dinner could be smaller I suspect but often I don't have the dessert after dinner and still I can't lose weight.

ladylisa May 2nd 2005 6:28 pm

When I first moved here I gained 2 stone!!! I was the heaviest I had ever been. I put that down to a few things, mainly not working for the first time but I also made a friend out here that was quite fat and she would often over indulge and I found myself doing it too when we hung out which was all the time! The funny thing was though that my hubby was really annoyed that I had gained so much weight and kept saying it was ALL my friends fault. Well I had to agree with him I didnt want him to think it was me that ate all the cookies! :D

Since then I have lost the extra weight mainly because my friend then started the Dr Phil diet and lost loads of weight. Unfortunately she became very preachy about it so in retalliation I lost my weight as soon as possible I simply started eating how I had done in England and it all dropped off. :)

Sarah May 3rd 2005 1:15 am

I loved going to the gym in England, I went to the council gym and it was fantastic. We did have one of the best councils in the country though.
Plush gym with all sorts of classes available, swimming pool. I went to spinning classes (stationary cycling) about 3 times a week if I could manage it and my level of fitness increased massively, I also lost all the cellulite on my legs, it was great for my sleep and mental health too. I'm kinda ashamed to say its the thing I miss the most after my family, but it was a big part of my life and really helped make me happy.
Over here I joined the Y hoping it would be similar but its nowhere near as good. The gym is like a large breeze (cinder) block garage with some gym equipment thrown in, cement walls, no music, horrid scratchy carpet tiles and a ceiling that looks like scaffolding. The classes are extra on top of your monthly membership and not very frequent and there's no spinning classes so I'm kinda bummed out and looking for a better gym. Unfortunately since I left the UK and my gym there I've gained weight, which I attribute to being happily married and not walking anywhere anymore. Also obviously not visiting the gym like I used to hasn't helped either. Its a shame they don't have council run subsidised gyms over here. Or maybe they do and I just haven't found them yet.