Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you 'keep fit' in the US?

Wikiposts

Do you 'keep fit' in the US?

Old Apr 30th 2005, 7:45 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Do you 'keep fit' in the US?

How many of you fellow Brits keep up with a regular exercise routine?

I always hated sports at school (too petite and couldn't keep up!). I've always been pretty reluctant at going to the gym and running on the treadmill, using the rowing equipment and lifting weights etc. I preferred to go to aerobics two or three times a week (have done this on and off for about 8 or 9 years) but after a few months I get bored with doing similar routines. However, I've discovered that I really love going to aqua-aerobics - in the swimming pool....I've been going since last September on average thrice weekly. It's great for me as I hate getting sticky and sweaty, and as soon as you get out of the pool you have a hot shower and go.

My husband has had a complete lifestyle change since he decided to go on a diet almost two years ago. I'd been away for a month in India and when he met me at the airport I saw immediately that he'd lost some weight. He told me that the day I left, he joined a gym and went on a diet (he was grossly overweight and snored badly at night). In six months he'd lost 100lbs! He's kept it off but spends most of his free time either at the gym or going running....he's done a couple of half-marathons this year and hoping to win a place in the New York marathon in November.

Now I know that he's *really* obsessed with running and keeping fit...he often runs with a hashing group on Saturday afternoons (a hash is like a mystery hare and hound chase with lots of false trails through the woods and fields). He's been away at head office in London for a few weeks (flew home to NJ last Friday night so at least was home last weekend) and on Monday morning flew off to Bangkok via London. He left Bangkok on Friday night (Friday morning Eastern time) and I picked him up at Newark just before noon today.

He's gone to the bloody hash......

http://www.hashnj.com (wonder if he'll be skinny dipping...don't think he noticed the theme for today LOL! It's cold and wet here today....)
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you 'keep fit' in the US?

I'm a lazy crunt, especially now that the ******* gym's closed, so much for that being a benefit from work....but when it was open, I went 3 + times a week, did go 5 times a week until the petrol went up a tonne over here.

Did a bit of cardio, not all that much, rowing, cycling, couldn't stand the tread mill, and do some weights, and in the summer played tennis with a mate.

Did a bit of hiking as well, but now the place is closed, don't do bugger all, will probably start going hiking, but more of an effort, as use to do the trails around the gym mostly.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:44 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
How many of you fellow Brits keep up with a regular exercise routine?
Yep, but only during the summer (March - Novemver )

I tend to cycle to the library and swim every day (25 x 12m), and walk the dog. Plus tennis when I feel like it.

In winter I tend to hybernate, apart from the occasional skiing trip to Sierras...

Spring is kind of weird this year - normally we'd have been swimming for a month by now, but when I dipped in my toe the other day I dipped it out again pretty quick
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:51 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I go to Curves 5 days a week.It's right behind my house so I have no excuse.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 10:06 am
enter the twiglet zone...

alien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to all

I run 5 miles a day...in training for the forest gump sequel...
Old Apr 30th 2005, 10:48 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I've really got into cycling in the past 8 years (after me gimpy knees stopped me running). Do 30-100 miles each time I go out. Cycling is a brilliant form of exercise if the roads are good - no impact on the joints, plus you can go a lot further and longer than running or walking so it's perfect for people who want to lose weight or just see a lot more of the world than walking/running. Of course the downside is that in rural NC men in Lycra get funny looks a lot of the time. Mind you, I've caught a few chickies checking out me gams at the traffic lights now and again so it's not all bad.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 10:54 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

I run after my 5 and 2 year old. Does that count? Seriously, I usually walk around the neighbourhood or to the beach with the kids (about 20 minutes away) or we go swimming. I'm trying to bring them up so they know how to use their legs!! Not easy in America!
Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've really got into cycling in the past 8 years (after me gimpy knees stopped me running). Do 30-100 miles each time I go out. Cycling is a brilliant form of exercise if the roads are good - no impact on the joints, plus you can go a lot further and longer than running or walking so it's perfect for people who want to lose weight or just see a lot more of the world than walking/running. Of course the downside is that in rural NC men in Lycra get funny looks a lot of the time. Mind you, I've caught a few chickies checking out me gams at the traffic lights now and again so it's not all bad.
Cycling...hmmm...use to do some serious MTB'ing, around austria and northern italy...would cycle 50-250km to get to the mountains and then trudge up and down them...hmmm....use to be pretty fit, probably would kill me if I tried that now *lol*
Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:31 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Used to play 5-a-side every week in the UK through work. Don't do anything here. At both places I've worked over here they don't mix outside of the workplace (don't mix too much inside work either, but it was more friendly in the South).
Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by RoB1833
Used to play 5-a-side every week in the UK through work. Don't do anything here. At both places I've worked over here they don't mix outside of the workplace (don't mix too much inside work either, but it was more friendly in the South).
Use to play a lot of footie back in blighty too with mates in the park...no decent parks around here, so ain't easy to find anyone to play...there all about playing proper league games at school and that's it...big shame...
Old Apr 30th 2005, 12:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
there all about playing proper league games at school and that's it...big shame...
isn't it just! My lads were into playing football but gave it up very quickly after moving here. It's all 'training' and 'matches' - no time to have fun and just kick a ball around
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
I go to Curves 5 days a week.It's right behind my house so I have no excuse.
can I ask, is it any good, I was thinking of joining Curves, can't be doing with all the hot bodies at LA fitness and places like that..
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I did Curves for about 8 months and quite enjoyed it but it got boring after a while just doing the same thing. I didn't really lose any weight but did tone up and felt fitter.

Every now and then I buy a new fitness DVD and do that for a few months before getting bored. I am currently doing the Extreme Fitness workout which I am slowly getting bored with so I'll have to search for another one.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
isn't it just! My lads were into playing football but gave it up very quickly after moving here. It's all 'training' and 'matches' - no time to have fun and just kick a ball around
major shame that, fitness routines, gym, training in the summer holidays and stuff...sod that....what's wrong with just letting them have a laugh...it's such a shame that you don't see people having a knock around in the park, back in blighty, be a few parks where you'd be guaranteed to find people having a knock around that you could join in for a laugh, but it doesn't happen here, it all has to be organised, teams, goals and kit, can't be messing around with a couple shirts on the ground and two on two v keeper etc...oh well...maybe i'm just getting old and grumbly *lol*
Old Apr 30th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Hip problems have kept me from walking. I firmly believe you need to do stretching exercises each day 5/10mins and walk for 30/40mins at 4mph 3 times a week, weather conditions prevailing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.