Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you have to use a pet courier company now?

Do you have to use a pet courier company now?

Old Jun 22nd 2013, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have to use a pet courier company now?

Originally Posted by Sabrielle
£1300 for a cavalier?! I think I'm doomed lol! That seems like an awful lot of money for east coast.. My friend paid £1400 for her dog all the way to colorado and he was bigger than your cavalier and I have to pay that 3x over o.O
It depends on which service you use, although there was only about £100 difference. They supplied the crate, did all the paperwork and checked her onto the flight (we flew the day before). The cost also included 3 days boarding at their kennels, and collection from our home in London. All I had to do was get her a rabies jab and organise a pet passport. Our dog was already microchipped.

If you are not going for a few years, you will have time to save
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

yeah thats bigger than my alaskan malamute, she is 51" long and about 28-30" high. Sometimes you can find them second hand, but I think if petair is including a lot I might just go with them as it will take the hastle out as i will have a lot to sort out like my daughter, packing and selling things, that way I can just sort out the rabies vac and test and can be done with the paperwork. I've got a lot to sort out, have already started downsizing now even though we haven't yet applied for a visa. We are going to wait until my husband is finished with college and can get a job.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
It depends on which service you use, although there was only about £100 difference. They supplied the crate, did all the paperwork and checked her onto the flight (we flew the day before). The cost also included 3 days boarding at their kennels, and collection from our home in London. All I had to do was get her a rabies jab and organise a pet passport. Our dog was already microchipped.

If you are not going for a few years, you will have time to save
Yes but for 3 dogs we are talking about £3000+ lol. I am thinking petair seems the best with all this talk of dogs dying in transit it's making me nervous so I want them to be cared for properly and if they do all the other stuff it sounds pretty good. All my dogs are microchipped and I vac them yearly anyway so no issues there.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I Vac mine as well, my last dog would head for the hills when I turned on the Shop Vac, this one seems to like it.

Easier to deal with hair at source.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

A quote of: £4,149.43 or (for vet services included) £4,439.43.
Quite shocked to be honest... I wasn't expecting it to be so high. I wish I could take them on QM2 but they wouldn't take bookings right now as they are booked up for a year... and when I apply I think you have 6 months to leave the UK. I will have to save a lot of money I'm not leaving them behind..
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to QM2, I think that once you know roughly when you are going, you can keep checking with them as they sometimes have cancellations, but would be tricky hoping to get 3 of them. The only other Airline I've heard mention of on these forums is American Airlines - might be worth checking out their pet policy and whether you can book direct with them to save some money.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
I Vac mine as well, my last dog would head for the hills when I turned on the Shop Vac, this one seems to like it.

Easier to deal with hair at source.
I think the OP means vac as in vaccinate! But yes, when I vacuum the house my dog sits patiently whilst I give her the once over with the nozzle.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

I meant vaccinate, but yeah my dogs hate the vacuum they'd run lol. I tried to vacuum them when they were blowing their coats and they run away. I will speak to American Airlines and see what they say. I just told my husband how much the quote was and he was shocked. He said how can it be more than mine and my daughters tickets combined for just one?

Edit: I will probably have to send one dog by petair as she will be too big to go on QM2 but my malamute is with in their size restrictions and so is my husky. Hmmm lots to contemplate. Either way they will be coming with me!

Last edited by Sabrielle; Jun 22nd 2013 at 4:37 pm.