Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you have to surrender you British passport when you become an american citizen?

Do you have to surrender you British passport when you become an american citizen?

Old May 17th 2008, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

hulk_hogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you have to surrender you British passport when you become an american citizen?

Do you have to surrender you British passport when you become an american citizen (via marriage to an american citizen)?
Old May 17th 2008, 6:16 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have to surrender you British passport when you become an american citizen

Originally Posted by hulk_hogan
Do you have to surrender you British passport when you become an american citizen (via marriage to an american citizen)?
No
Old May 17th 2008, 6:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have to surrender you British passport when you become an american citizen

No, but you do need to read the FAQs first.
Old May 20th 2008, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

jo_march is an unknown quantity at this point

No, and I have been able to renew mine twice since I have been here. Absolutely no problem.
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

No, you don't have to renounce citizenship either...

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...7&d= 1&i=41001

My bold for emphasis...

Although acquisition or use of US citizenship does not of itself jeopardise retention of British citizenship, and there is no objection on the part of British authorities to a dual citizen using a US passport, it should not be assumed that the reverse is also true. A US citizen voluntarily acquiring British citizenship may lose his US citizenship; and a dual citizen who makes use of his British citizenship in certain ways, for example joining HM Forces, taking an oath of allegiance to Her Majesty and in certain circumstances exercising other rights or privileges of British citizenship, may jeopardise his US citizenship. The US authorities expect dual citizens to travel out of and into United States territory only on US passports. British citizens who are also US citizens are therefore advised to consult the US State Department (or if overseas a US Consul) before taking any action which might be regarded as inconsistent with their status as US citizens.