Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:48 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

I have nothing for miles in any direction, but that's why we moved here. Nothing but trees and houses....beautiful. We used to live literally right opposite a huge mall, and weekends and holidays were a nightmare with all the traffic. I don't mind having to get in my car to go shopping and set aside a day a week where I go and get groceries. We don't even have any takeout places that deliver out here in rural Connecticut. I take the dog for a 2 mile walk most days so that gets me out walking, but we have no street lights or pavements so we wear matching fluorescent reflective jackets
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

We don't have anything within walking distance either.
There is a new strip mall in our neighborhood but all the units are empty. Rumour had it that the rent is to expensive. Also people in the neighborhood are fretting about pawn shops and other such undesirable traders moving in.
Hubby would love to see a donut shop, 7/11, laundry, pawn shop and peep show place! Lol.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
I have nothing for miles in any direction, but that's why we moved here. Nothing but trees and houses....beautiful. We used to live literally right opposite a huge mall, and weekends and holidays were a nightmare with all the traffic. I don't mind having to get in my car to go shopping and set aside a day a week where I go and get groceries. We don't even have any takeout places that deliver out here in rural Connecticut. I take the dog for a 2 mile walk most days so that gets me out walking, but we have no street lights or pavements so we wear matching fluorescent reflective jackets

Howdy rockgurl
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I've lived in the area for 4 years and only discovered a small excellent chinese place the other day because I said we need to start walking more and actually walked past it. I'd never seen it when I'd driven by! (It is at the end of a strip mall with a load of trees hiding it from the road).
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:27 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

I have nothing for miles in any direction, but that's why we moved here. Nothing but trees and houses....beautiful.
Same for us in VA, although its more like tree's and mountains, I can only see 4 other houses from our place........... I think the nearest shops are close to 10 miles away. It works out pretty well in some aspects............ most takeaways will not deliver to our house, so you have to really want some to get any, also with no shops nearby less chance of picking up crap at the grocery store that we don't really need, instead just try to make a weekly trip (cuts down on just making those little trips for a snack).
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

britgirl078 is a name known to allbritgirl078 is a name known to allbritgirl078 is a name known to allbritgirl078 is a name known to allbritgirl078 is a name known to allbritgirl078 is a name known to allbritgirl078 is a name known to allbritgirl078 is a name known to allbritgirl078 is a name known to allbritgirl078 is a name known to allbritgirl078 is a name known to all

I completely understand where your coming from here where I live I have to get in the car to go everywhere, nothing is in walking distance and we don't even have much public transportation.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

I TRULY miss walking down the road to the fish and veggie markets - like I do in Europe when I'm there...nothing quite like picking up freshly caught fish and produce...
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by argyl1
One thing I really miss about living in the UK is being able to walk to the shops etc. Everything was close by and you didn't have to depend on a car to go places.
Here in VA, nothing is within walking distance from my house. I have to rely on my car or public transportation just to go pick up milk from the store. I've spent an hour stuck in traffic from trying to run some simple errands.
What's it like living in other parts of the country?
Do you have shops and services within walking distance from where you live?
I live in Baltimore, MD. I can walk to the supermarket, gym, Blockbuster, dry cleaners, library, Rite Aid, etc. I do that a lot in the summer, but not so much now (it's getting colder!).
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:50 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky duck
I'm envious
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

When we lived out in Redmond in WA we could walk everywhere, to the schools, shops, parks etc. Everything was connected by sidewalks, there were walking trails, even a decent bus service if you fancied a day out in Seattle without the car.

Now we're in NC I have to get in the car to even go buy a carton of milk....