Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you hate waiting in line at Disney?

Do you hate waiting in line at Disney?

Old May 18th 2013, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you hate waiting in line at Disney?

Originally Posted by N1cky
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I've probably been to Disney around 100 times now I've never had my day spoilt by anyone, disabled, teen or otherwise. The biggest nuisance to me is the people pushing their 6 year old kids around in strollers. They should ban strollers for anyone over 3 years old.
I've never had my day spoilt at Disney at all, that's not what I am saying.
I have mentioned that i'm impressed with the place and how they accommodate the disabled on the rides. I've not noticed many 6 year olds in strollers either. Repeat : You can go to any Disney fan blog to back up my opinion on locals overcrowding the park. But we can agree to disagree if you like

As you are lucky enough to be a local could offer us out of state expats some up to date tips on visiting Disneyland? Especially now that California adventure park has been updated with the cars land and world of colour and such? Is it still really busy? any good/bad points?
Old May 20th 2013, 3:47 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I've never had my day spoilt at Disney at all, that's not what I am saying.
I have mentioned that i'm impressed with the place and how they accommodate the disabled on the rides. I've not noticed many 6 year olds in strollers either. Repeat : You can go to any Disney fan blog to back up my opinion on locals overcrowding the park. But we can agree to disagree if you like

As you are lucky enough to be a local could offer us out of state expats some up to date tips on visiting Disneyland? Especially now that California adventure park has been updated with the cars land and world of colour and such? Is it still really busy? any good/bad points?
We've now moved to No Cal, so I don't get to go nearly as often as we used to. Since upgrading California, that park is much busier, and DisneyLand is a little quieter, especially until after lunch. The two new main rides in CA are Radiator Springs and Luigi's Flying Tires, both still experience very long lines.

If you want to ride Radiator Springs without standing in line for 2 hours, you need to be there before the park opens. You then have an option, you can either run and get in line, if you get on with it your wait time should be less than 30 minutes. If you are at the back of the people running for it, expect to wait up to an hour. Otherwise you can run and get fastpass tickets (the distribution booths are in a different place to the ride to stop people getting passes AND standing in line). Fastpasses are usually all gone by mid-morning. If you choose the Fastpass option, you then get in line for Luigi's Flying Tires.

Due to the park filling back up for World of Color, and closing shortly after that, the lines for the rides in Carsland never get any shorter. Don't expect to be able to return late at night and the lines be shorter.

We still find it is best to get up early and do California, have lunch in that park, as the options are much better, and they serve great margaritas (DisneyLand is still a dry park). Head back for pool/nap time. Back to DisneyLand early evening, do a few rides with small lines. Get to the back of the castle or Tomorrowland for the fireworks, and then work anti-clockwise from Buzz Lightyear round the park for the extended hours. Most people head out of the park after the fireworks, and going in this direction means you aren't pushing against people trying to exit. Typically by the time you get to Big Thunder Mountaing (although currently closed) and Indiana Jones, you can ride 3-4 times back to back.
Old May 20th 2013, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
We've now moved to No Cal, so I don't get to go nearly as often as we used to. Since upgrading California, that park is much busier, and DisneyLand is a little quieter, especially until after lunch. The two new main rides in CA are Radiator Springs and Luigi's Flying Tires, both still experience very long lines.

If you want to ride Radiator Springs without standing in line for 2 hours, you need to be there before the park opens. You then have an option, you can either run and get in line, if you get on with it your wait time should be less than 30 minutes. If you are at the back of the people running for it, expect to wait up to an hour. Otherwise you can run and get fastpass tickets (the distribution booths are in a different place to the ride to stop people getting passes AND standing in line). Fastpasses are usually all gone by mid-morning. If you choose the Fastpass option, you then get in line for Luigi's Flying Tires.

Due to the park filling back up for World of Color, and closing shortly after that, the lines for the rides in Carsland never get any shorter. Don't expect to be able to return late at night and the lines be shorter.

We still find it is best to get up early and do California, have lunch in that park, as the options are much better, and they serve great margaritas (DisneyLand is still a dry park). Head back for pool/nap time. Back to DisneyLand early evening, do a few rides with small lines. Get to the back of the castle or Tomorrowland for the fireworks, and then work anti-clockwise from Buzz Lightyear round the park for the extended hours. Most people head out of the park after the fireworks, and going in this direction means you aren't pushing against people trying to exit. Typically by the time you get to Big Thunder Mountaing (although currently closed) and Indiana Jones, you can ride 3-4 times back to back.
Thats good information, thanks. I'll probably leave it a couple of years before i visit again, let it calm down a bit.

That Big Thunder mountain ride is always closed. Its my sons favorite ride and it was closed for our entire stay last time. And the time before that it kept closing for periods throughout the day as well. I suppose they have to go careful after someone got killed on it a while back due to bad maintenance.

It looks like they are working to prevent the Disney daycare by raising the unaccompanied minor age to 14

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar...olicy-20130320
Old May 20th 2013, 7:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Thats good information, thanks. I'll probably leave it a couple of years before i visit again, let it calm down a bit.

That Big Thunder mountain ride is always closed. Its my sons favorite ride and it was closed for our entire stay last time. And the time before that it kept closing for periods throughout the day as well. I suppose they have to go careful after someone got killed on it a while back due to bad maintenance.

It looks like they are working to prevent the Disney daycare by raising the unaccompanied minor age to 14

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar...olicy-20130320
They are doing a full refurb on it, I think it's been down since January and scheduled to re-open around September. That should get rid of the constant break down issues. Last years refurb of the Matterhorn Bobsleds seems to have cured most of their break down issues.