Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you hate waiting in line at Disney?

Do you hate waiting in line at Disney?

Old May 14th 2013, 9:41 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you hate waiting in line at Disney?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You're evil!

But I was going to do the same.....
Old May 14th 2013, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
That's the big benefit....once they get in school it all changes....say bye bye to cheap, quiet anything!!
not unheard of for people to take their kids out of school for a Disney visit
Old May 15th 2013, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

We did the Disney thing (Orlando) about 4 years ago. The school calendar for some reason had two teacher in service days creating a 4 day weekend out of season in mid October. We stayed at a resort hotel (Animal Kingdom) and made use of the extended hours, also fast passes etc. The longest we had to wait in line was just over half an hour - most attractions were no longer than 15 minutes. When we entered a park we would split up and one of us would go and fetch the fast passes for the "must do" ride and the other would stand in line with the kids for the photo with the Disney Character. We spent a little extra to get the passes that allowed us to visit more than one park a day. We would start the day in one park and then go back to the hotel for a swim and a rest for a few hours in the afternoon, and then visit a second park in the evening. I think we missed a lot of the long afternoon lines that way and were never too tired to enjoy ourselves. We bought extra tickets for an after hours "Halloween Party" at Magic Kingdom - there were lots of treats for the kids and no wait at any of the rides, we did the kid's favourites again and again and again. Yes, we spent a lot of money, but we had a good time, and have some great memories and have absolutely no intention of ever going back.
Old May 15th 2013, 4:09 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 15th 2013, 4:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redglade
have some great memories and have absolutely no intention of ever going back.
Been there

Said that

Been back
Old May 15th 2013, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
not unheard of for people to take their kids out of school for a Disney visit
Yeah, I know....some (UK) friends did that even though it was their 3rd "unexcused" for the year, and they got hit with a $500 fine, but they still reckoned they came out ahead!
Old May 15th 2013, 4:15 am

But to get back on topic...

If I broke a foot and had a plaster on, I'd reckon fair game on a bit of queue skipping...

Rent a Disabled person for the day? Repugnant.
Old May 15th 2013, 4:20 am

5th post in a row...a first for me!!

Funny story - sort of - unless it was your leg....

Anyone notice that in addition to the usual "Don't ride if you're pregnant/badback/heart problem" signs, Universal have an extra bit - "no prosthetic limbs".

We found out why.....

We had a 40 minute delay on the Red Dragon ride at Harry Potter because someone snuck through with a prosthetic leg...they weren't spotted, started the ride and erm, "lost" it on one of the loop the loops

Caused all sorts of problems while they tried to recover it apparently.....

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; May 15th 2013 at 4:22 am.
Old May 15th 2013, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
5th post in a row...a first for me!!

Funny story - sort of - unless it was your leg....

Anyone notice that in addition to the usual "Don't ride if you're pregnant/badback/heart problem" signs, Universal have an extra bit - "no prosthetic limbs".

We found out why.....

We had a 40 minute delay on the Red Dragon ride at Harry Potter because someone snuck through with a prosthetic leg...they weren't spotted, started the ride and erm, "lost" it on one of the loop the loops

Caused all sorts of problems while they tried to recover it apparently.....
I heard they tried to sue the park... but didn't have a leg to stand on.
Old May 15th 2013, 2:01 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I heard they tried to sue the park... but didn't have a leg to stand on.
Old May 15th 2013, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

If its Disney policy to allow a group of people to skip the lines if they are accompanied by a disable person then it's not surprising that someone is enterprising enough to exploit it. Look at it another way, the disabled person offering their services is earning money that they might not necessarily have been able to.

I don't see anything wrong with it of the deman is there and the rules allow it (that bit is disneys problem and not sure they could come up with a workable alternative without penalizing 'legitimate 'visitors)
Old May 15th 2013, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I just read the article on CNN and thought the end comments were valid. While I don't agree with it in whole, I do like these thoughts:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/us/dis...html?hpt=hp_t2

But others had a different view.

"At least they are sharing the wealth and providing the less fortunate with over $1000 a day to go to Disney World," one of the first comments on this CNN.com story said, from user "blindliberal."

And jessied44 wrote, "$1040 for a day spent having fun -- not a bad job. Pretending they are part of the family isn't a good example for the children, but providing work for someone who is disabled isn't a bad thing to do."
Old May 15th 2013, 3:48 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

I just read the article on CNN and thought the end comments were valid. While I don't agree with it in whole, I do like these thoughts:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/us/dis...html?hpt=hp_t2

But others had a different view.

"At least they are sharing the wealth and providing the less fortunate with over $1000 a day to go to Disney World," one of the first comments on this CNN.com story said, from user "blindliberal."

And jessied44 wrote, "$1040 for a day spent having fun -- not a bad job. Pretending they are part of the family isn't a good example for the children, but providing work for someone who is disabled isn't a bad thing to do."
Nope. Bleugh.

It also avoids the notion that not all disability is physical. You couldn't hire my sister, for example. She has trouble standing/walking for extended amounts of time, but her main disability is cognitive/intellectual. Hiring her would just be exploitative.

Oh, AND!! As the sister and the mother of two people with profound disabilities, I'd argue that there have to be SOME perks to living what is generally a very difficult life. Vix and Little O deserve those passes because for the rest of their lives they generally get shafted. You don't get to buy your way into this, because your life, as a stinking rich asshole, is just about perfect. Let's not pretend those hiring the "guides" are doing this for some generous reason. It undermines the whole thing and pisses me off.

Last edited by Gingerert; May 15th 2013 at 3:53 pm.
Old May 15th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

"[...] providing work for someone who is disabled isn't a bad thing to do."
Originally Posted by Gingerert
Let's not pretend those hiring the "guides" are doing this for some generous reason. It undermines the whole thing and pisses me off.
How does one account for that on one's tax submission?
Old May 15th 2013, 5:04 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by GeoffM
How does one account for that on one's tax submission?
No idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.