British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do you get to go 'home' very often? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-get-go-home-very-often-162446/)

MrsLondon Jun 28th 2003 10:43 pm

Do you get to go 'home' very often?

Or does the lack of annual leave hinder you? Mark goes back to the US 3 times a year usually. A week at Easter, two weeks in August and 9 days at Xmas (Boxing Day to 2nd January). Fortunately we both work at a University that is shut for Easter & Crimbo, so even then he is left with some time for our mini-breaks to Europe. I think not getting much holiday was a big factor in deciding it would be better for him to come to Blighty than me go there. His mum also comes over once a year so all in all he probably sees his mum as much as I do mine.
I usually only go to the US once a year with him, though this year I'm going twice (Easter and 1st August). Makes up for last year as I didn't go at all then. (At Easter we got upgraded to FIRST CLASS!) :D

MrsLondon Jun 30th 2003 9:56 am

Well, no-one has replied yet! I was interested to read some people only go home every few years! That amazes me. Don't your family in Britain miss you? :)

Harry Jun 30th 2003 5:09 pm

I've been here in the U.S. for about 14 months now. I haven't visited England yet. My wife and I are planning on doing it once every two years, so next spring is our first planned trip. And yeah, getting only 10 days leave per year is a bit of a problem.

-Harry

frrussre Jun 30th 2003 6:16 pm

Been here since mid 80's. Always visit UK at least once per year, sometimes twice. One month the longest trip. Two - three weeks on average, then 10 days, now down to 7 days last two trips.
We have found that seven days of non stop visiting/eating with family is more than enough. Certainly not a vacation, hope that does not sound nasty.

We were there in Feb 2003. While we were there we actually discussed going Friday to Monday. Butv decided, long way to go for 3 days.

Reg. Frank R.

Vicky88 Jun 30th 2003 10:56 pm

We go to the UK and Australia each a couple of times a year. My husband travels a lot for work to Europe so I am able to travel using FF points.

Yorkieabroad Jul 1st 2003 2:06 am

We get back at least once a year, usually more often. Was there last October, and have just returned from a 3 week trip showing off the new son. Next (planned) trip will be Xmas/New Year. Made a committment to myself that just because I choose to live outside the UK, I wouldn't lose touch with my family, and friends. Have certainly achieved that with the family (mum says she sees/speaks more to us than her friends with kids in the UK), a little less successful with some of the social group, but to some extent thats inevitable. I still keep in touch with the ones that matter.

Some people have problems with leave (certainly in the US) and with the cost of travelling back, and use those as reasons for not going. The leave one is pretty difficult to get round, but I have friends who claim that they would love to go back but can't afford it - but they drive 2 top end cars, holiday 2 or 3 times a year in the caribbean or samerica, splash the cash all over, etc. So to my mind thats their choice - Horses for courses.

Taffyles Jul 2nd 2003 11:51 pm

Annual leave is a big problem.. 2 weeks doesn't spread far. My old boss used to let me take a few weeks unpaid leave. I'm going to be changing jobs in October and will take a month in between to go home :). There are ways and means of getting a trip in LOL. A brit friend of mine in CA goes home 4 times a year- she's got her own though and good staff, so can take time off when she likes...lucky thing.