Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you carry your green card with you ?

Do you carry your green card with you ?

Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice
Default Re: Do you carry your green card with you ?

Originally Posted by megalaser
It's a legal requirement to carry it, so why not just do that?
Same reason that one might speed: Cost-benefit analysis. The benefit of breaking the law outweighs the minimal likelihood of getting caught (factored by the penalty if caught).
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newXgate
One reason is that it takes six months and costs $370 to replace a permanent resident card. Whereas my drivers licence will take about 1hr to replace and cost about $50.
I try to never lose either, that includes my credit cards, etc
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:24 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Having had my wallet take a walk a couple of times, I was wondering what my options where, so I was in Miami and I asked an immigration offcier one time if a photocopy would suffice if ever asked to randomly produce, was told at the time that it would, but would be given 24 hours to produce the actual, if it was ever required.

So It was brought out of the safe, for an I-9, travel and any USCIS before they took it off me.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

flnycus is an unknown quantity at this point

Never. If i lose it on soem night out it will be a pain to get another one - i am brown so it will be even harder to prove im not a criminal LOL.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megalaser
It's a legal requirement to carry it, so why not just do that?
Originally Posted by frrussre
Totally agree, never understood what the big deal is. I carry my driving licence, every day every where.

Reg. Frank R.
Originally Posted by newXgate
One reason is that it takes six months and costs $370 to replace a permanent resident card. Whereas my drivers licence will take about 1hr to replace and cost about $50.
I never carried mine other than when flying in/out of country. One does not wish to lose anything in one's wallet, but the Green Card is by far the most valuable / difficult to replace. In my 25 years as a PR, I was never asked to show it once other than at port of entry. As pointed out above - it's against the law to speed, but we do it. Carry a photocopy as advised above and keep the original safe (*).

* If you live in AZ, or near the border anywhere, AND you look 'foreign', all bets are off!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
* If you live in AZ, or near the border anywhere, AND you look 'foreign', all bets are off!
I refer you to my previous post. The location was I-10 New Mexico and I'm honky white trash. (Well a little more tanned than I was in UK).
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
I refer you to my previous post. The location was I-10 New Mexico and I'm honky white trash. (Well a little more tanned than I was in UK).
I plan to explore that area soon ... Bisbee was recommended ...

Now, what will you do once you are a citizen, and don't have to carry the GC any more ?
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

I plan to explore that area soon ... Bisbee was recommended ...
Recommend you take your card. I don't know of any fixed checkpoints down there but they do have mobile checkpoints. A rancher was shot dead by illegals in that area a few months ago.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crim...cc4c03286.html

Now, what will you do once you are a citizen, and don't have to carry the GC any more ?
Well I guess I'll just answer yes to the "are you a US citizen question" and take it from there but I'm looking forward to it.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Recommend you take your card. ...

... .
I'm a citizen already so don't have one .
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Recommend you take your card. I don't know of any fixed checkpoints down there but they do have mobile checkpoints. A rancher was shot dead by illegals in that area a few months ago.
The AZStar now says the suspect's nationality is unknown:

To be clear, the suspect is believed to be in the US. The suspect's nationality is unknown.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/bord...97ee2f0d5.html

The truth is, they don't know who killed him. My bet it was drug-runners, illegal or otherwise.