Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you carry your green card with you ?

Do you carry your green card with you ?

Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you carry your green card with you ?

Originally Posted by meauxna

Are you saying I CAN play the Canadian card?
(I was hitchiking off the 'naturalized' in dakota's post but yeah, anything to get me on the gravy train )
I was thinking there will surely be test cases as with the Civil Rights Movement - why not get in on it $$$
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

Are you saying I CAN play the Canadian card?
(I was hitchiking off the 'naturalized' in dakota's post but yeah, anything to get me on the gravy train )
Let the good times roll.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's what I thought but they are...it was in the local paper some months ago.
Big lawsuit waiting to happen.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:43 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Big lawsuit waiting to happen.
Not necessarily. ICE has these things called Section 287(g) Memoranda of Agreement with state and local law enforcement agencies, that delegate certain bits of federal enforcement authority to them. So if JG's local cops have one of those, it might be legit.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Not necessarily. ICE has these things called Section 287(g) Memoranda of Agreement with state and local law enforcement agencies, that delegate certain bits of federal enforcement authority to them. So if JG's local cops have one of those, it might be legit.
This new law attempts to take the Feds out of the picture by putting Immigration enforcement into the hands of local cops because AZ feels the Feds aren't doing anything about it.

They are potentially forcing a showdown between Federal and State Government and seeing how far they can get away with it.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:32 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brit3964
This new law attempts to take the Feds out of the picture by putting Immigration enforcement into the hands of local cops because AZ feels the Feds aren't doing anything about it.

They are potentially forcing a showdown between Federal and State Government and seeing how far they can get away with it.
We were talking about the situation in JG's neighbouring town. Unless my geography is way off, that's not in AZ.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Just curious, how many of you, who have a green card, carry it on your person ?

I've lived here for 27 years, and I have always kept it with my passport, in a firesafe, I have never been asked for it EVER ! Not even for employment.

Mick
I keep mine safe with the passport. It only comes out when I need the passport for travelling reasons.

We also have a check point near us (So Cal) but have never been stopped and never seen anyone else stopped either!
Old May 1st 2010, 11:33 pm

EU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud of

I carry both of my work permit and my permanent resident card.
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EU_Girl
I carry both of my work permit and my permanent resident card.
the greencard is both....so your saying you still have an old EAD? That should have been handed in when you got your greencard.
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
the greencard is both....so your saying you still have an old EAD? That should have been handed in when you got your greencard.
I have never heard of an EAD being handed in (or even asked for). It is superseded by a green card but should be retained.
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by JAJ
I have never heard of an EAD being handed in (or even asked for). It is superseded by a green card but should be retained.
My EAD got taken off me when I went in for my interview.
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I still have mine from 2002.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
My EAD got taken off me when I went in for my interview.

Sadegh's, too.

Either way, no need to carry both. The GC has work permission built-in.

Rene
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I carry mine with me and have had to use it each time I've been in and out of the country .. which is about 6 times since getting it last April.

Funnily enough I've just taken a photocopy of everything in my purse .. medical cards, Green card, driving licence, credit/debit cards. Read somewhere it was a good idea to do that and only just remembered (read - be arsed!) to do it!
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Yes, I carry mine with me and have had to use it each time I've been in and out of the country .. which is about 6 times since getting it last April.

Funnily enough I've just taken a photocopy of everything in my purse .. medical cards, Green card, driving licence, credit/debit cards. Read somewhere it was a good idea to do that and only just remembered (read - be arsed!) to do it!
What I've done is scan passports, credit cards etc into emaisl that I've archived online.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.